WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mgmtrnr View Post
    After many emails with the manufacturer, it looks like we have worked out a suitable solution to the problem. I will keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments.
    Out of curiosity for similar problems, what was the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by mgmtrnr View Post
    After many emails with the manufacturer, it looks like we have worked out a suitable solution to the problem. I will keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments.
    Refund. Buy a decent pack from a quality company. Otherwise, you've been had.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My friend had a sliding strap and threaded a safety pin through. The pin promptly deformed into an unsafety pin.

Is this the new Gear philosophy? Devise "hacks", or work arounds, for junk gear?
    Once again, I don't get it.
    Upon further reflection, a decent backpack with a decent hip belt should ride on the belt. The shoulder straps are only there to snug the pack bag against your back. You should be able to slide a finger under the strap. No tension. No slipping. Worked on the ULA Catalyst I used last year in Colorado.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

My straps don't loosen but the gear in the pack settles after walking a ways makes the straps seem loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Upon further reflection, a decent backpack with a decent hip belt should ride on the belt. The shoulder straps are only there to snug the pack bag against your back. You should be able to slide a finger under the strap. No tension...
    In a perfect world, it should be like that.
    In my real hiking world, all the up&down and boulder scrambling lets the pack constantly move and slide around thus delivering the weight from one support to the other. I typically carry a heavy load in my old Lowe, and this permanentely tensioning and releasing might help to loosen the shoulder straps.

No matter which pack one may be wearing, straps are going to loosen. That's not a slam on any manufacturer, it just a fact of life.

I'm sure someone is going to argue this.

Images

My wife's pack, which came from a high end "cottage" manufacturer, did this from the time we started our hike. Eventually she switched to an Osprey model... problem solved. I have the same model she had and I don't have any issues...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Another data point:
    Stihl 25 pound gas powered backpack mounted blower. Not what you would associate with a quality backpack. Before starting to work with the blower I tried as hard as I could to make the shoulder straps slip or stride. No chance.
    Deacon:
    I'm not arguing with you.
    In 50 years I haven't had a problem with slipping shoulder straps on backpacks, golf bags, blowers, etc. Just a fact.
    Wayne

I was using a 36L Outdoor Products pack for a while. At first it wasn't bad, but the more miles I put on it, the more the straps worked loose. It got to the point I was constantly retightening them. I switched to a Jack Wolfskins 34L pack and have had zero issues. I have never had a problem with my Osprey Volt 65L either.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    No matter which pack one may be wearing, straps are going to loosen. That's not a slam on any manufacturer, it just a fact of life.

I'm sure someone is going to argue this.
    i never heared such a bull**** before!

my nothface pack does not do it, my 2 gregory´s do not do it, my osprey does not do it, and all of my selfmade packs dont slip either.

however, i had one pack that i also made myself that had slippage in the shoulderstraps. and that was clearly a constructional problem coming from very Little experience i had at that time. i had used webbing with a flat Surface for the straps. first i tried buckles with gripping teeth, but that only helped very little. replacing the flat, slippery webbing on the shoulderstraps with some webbing that had "little ridges" going across the webbing did the trick. this Kind of webbing will hold tight also with toothless buckles.
    the easiest way to fix this Problem is replacing the slippery webbing. the sewing can be done by Hand if you use a strong thread or a lot of stitches.

too bad your life is slipping through your fingers and you accept it as a fact of life. makes hiking a painful experience when it should be fun and pleasure...
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Thx for the info but do you honestly contend the ah hem easiest solution is replacin the shoulder strap webbing
    ?

I suspect the webbing isn't threaded properly. I've re-threaded others packs, belts etc. There's only one way that locks the straps...and check the keeper....if its on backwards then the manufacturer sewed em on wrong....never scene it but it would cause your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Thx for the info but do you honestly contend the ah hem easiest solution is replacin the shoulder strap webbing
    ?
    absolutely. unless ist a warranty Thing. since the starter of the thread does not want to use that Fixing it fast and easy is what i would do if i were him. its done in 5 minutes, knife to cut, lighter to seal the cuts, and needle and thread or a sewing machine are found in most households. the right webbing can be found in fabric stores or the Internet for a couple of $$.

i do wonder what manufacturer does recomend to tie a knot to solve the Problem. if the pack is as good as this advice i would send it back really fast, because the manufacturer will be out of Business soon.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++