WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

I believe the unprecedented part is no president has dissolved/eliminated a national monument and there may be no legal mechanism for one to do so - that will be up to the courts. Changing the boundaries of one is not the same, and when done for a public good, such as a right of way or a land exchange, has precedence.

And we can get silly here and change the boundaries to a 1 ft by 1 ft national monument, but again the presidents seem to be for the public good, not for reasons like i dam well feel like it and I'm the most important man in the world. The question seems to be did the founding fathers create a system good enough which will prevent being taken over by a ruler who believes he is one of the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Several Presidents have reduced the size of previously-designated national monuments.

The National Park Service can not afford to be used to hand over private lands to the government. The budget is finite. For every tree you save in Maine, the fewer dollars there are for Yellowstone NP, Shenandoah NP, and yes, the Appalachian National Scenic Trail.
    In the case of the new monument in Maine, the Feds aren't saving anything. The reason why it is a beautiful, undeveloped 87,000 acre parcel of land in the first place is because of good stewardship by lumber companies over many decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    In the case of the new monument in Maine, the Feds aren't saving anything. The reason why it is a beautiful, undeveloped 87,000 acre parcel of land in the first place is because of good stewardship by lumber companies over many decades.
    A lot of interesting posts here on this thread and I've learned a few things from the discussions. Thank you all.

I know it's popular to bash government workers on internet websites, I'd just like to point out that the purpose of government is to serve the people. Of course because it's a system run by people it's not perfect but as a government worker for 15 years I got up every morning and tried to serve the people. The purpose of a lumber company is to serve its private ownership or shareholders. So I'd like to learn a little more of why Bansko and others seem so much more confident in a lumber company to preserve open space in Maine for hiking then the federal government? Do you have an article or link that summarizes your position? Thanks in advance!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

According to Wiki, of the 18 areas Roosevelt originally designated as monuments, only 9 still remain monuments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    According to Wiki, of the 18 areas Roosevelt originally designated as monuments, only 9 still remain monuments.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
    That may be due to many of the Monuments he designated have become National Parks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++