WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default What to do if snake bitten?

This past week I came upon a rattlesnake that was beside the trail and was probably very close to being bitten. Fortunately, no bite. Just watched the snake take an aggressive posture, then eventually slither off (The snake slithered off. I walked.)

I was about four miles from the road and had one other person with me.

Obviously we'd have called 911 and followed directions. Could have easily happened in a place with no phone coverage.

What expertise is there on white blaze about rattlesnake bites?

For example, would I have likely been able to walk 4 miles (including a few hills)? What distance would it be reasonable to expect to be able to walk before coming up with another plan?

Would this be something that would warrant a helicopter (including probably a $10,000+ medical bill)?

What if I were even more remote? Would it be feasible to just set up a tent and plan on being sick in the woods a few days?

Obviously the question applies to copperheads as well as rattlesnakes. I just happens that this was a rattlesnake.

Images
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

First, a couple common mis-conceptions about rattlesnakes. 1. They can't strike a long distance, only about half the length of their body. 2. Not all bites inject venom. 3. Unlike in the old westerns, you don't try to "suck out" the venom, you simply try to slow it down. SO... remaining calm, and in one place, and using cool compress (not ice which you aren't likely to have anyway), and SENDNG or CALLING for help is the best general treatment. HOWEVER, you should assume that you did receive a dose of venom and seek out help was quickly as possible. Also with a little practice and paying attention you can generally "smell" copperheads before you are close enough to be bitten ... the smell is best described as sour cucumber.

Always clean animal bite wounds with sterile pads from your med kit. Do not flush with water. Infections from bite wounds can be far more dangerous than a single dose of venom.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

DO NOT seek medical advice from random people on forums!

Don't get bitten in the first place. Most bites occur when people try to pick up the snake or otherwise seriously annoy it.

If you see a snake sunning it's self in the middle of the trail, just walk over or around it - around the tail end of course. Chances are it will just stay where it is.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

As I always say, Keep you eyeballs open and Your butt cheeks clenched.

Point is, study the trail as you walk and the ground at your feet. Be careful around blowdowns as rattlers sometimes like to hang out on top of blowdown trunks. Scope the area where you're gonna sit for a rest break.

Keep your ears open for buzzing and don't wear music headphones. Never kill a pit viper in a wilderness or national forest area. They are protected.

I was backpacking up the Nutbuster trail last summer (Upper Slickrock Creek #42 trail) and prepared to cross over this hemlock blowdown across the trail. Looked to my left and saw Jimmy as pictured sunning himself and enjoying the day. We talked and he shared some information on the trail ahead.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

I was backpacking up the Nutbuster trail last summer (Upper Slickrock Creek #42 trail) and prepared to cross over this hemlock blowdown across the trail. Looked to my left and saw Jimmy as pictured sunning himself and enjoying the day. We talked and he shared some information on the trail ahead.

Tipi, I'm pretty sure the ATC has a rule that you can't name every snake Jimmy.

REI now has a snakebite suction gizmo, you can check out if you want to add a couple more ounces to your first aid kit..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    DO NOT seek medical advice from random people on forums!
    If I am in the backwoods and have no cell service, the implication is that I also won't have access to WhiteBlaze.Net. So no worries that I'd seek medical advice from people on forums in such an emergency.

However, I am not personally going to become a medical professional nor do I often hike with medical professionals. But chances are, information I can glean from random people (at least those who volunteer to speak up) on WhiteBlaze will be as good or better than the random people (possibly no one) I'd likely be hiking with in a real emergency.

Thanks for the concern, but I'm still interested on what people here have to say.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    REI now has a snakebite suction gizmo, you can check out if you want to add a couple more ounces to your first aid kit..
    Those suction kits have been around for a while and most medical sources warn not to use them as they are ineffective at best and are likely to cause further injury.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    What if I were even more remote? Would it be feasible to just set up a tent and plan on being sick in the woods a few days?
    I think this question merits serious discussion. Which scenario is more dangerous if you cannot call for help? Hiking out on a really bad leg or sheltering until your conditions improve? I'd hate to find myself in that position, but it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    If I am in the backwoods and have no cell service, the implication is that I also won't have access to WhiteBlaze.Net. So no worries that I'd seek medical advice from people on forums in such an emergency.

However, I am not personally going to become a medical professional nor do I often hike with medical professionals. But chances are, information I can glean from random people (at least those who volunteer to speak up) on WhiteBlaze will be as good or better than the random people (possibly no one) I'd likely be hiking with in a real emergency.

Thanks for the concern, but I'm still interested on what people here have to say.
    In that case.... take a knife and cut a big "x" just at the wound site. Then suck out the poison. Rub on a bit of antiseptic and bobs your uncle.
    If you find yourself snake bitten sans knife just run as fast as you can to the nearest help. The heat generated by your muscles will render the poison harmless.

The prior information is false. All celebrity voices were impersonations. All similarities to persons living or dead is coincidental. I do not approve the message

Rule #1 Don't take Francis Sawyer hiking in snake country. lol

well, please just consider this as thoughts of a wayward sole, and by no means is this accurate medical advice. But, I'm thinking, any activity (i.e. walking ), is probably going to keep your heart rate up, pumping that venom thru your body more swiftly. If it's a lethal dose, there's probably a 99% likelihood that you're not going to save yourself by walking anywhere.
    Staying put, properly applied tourniquet, waiting for helicopter could be your best bet.
    Re that REI suction thing; Sarcasm's probably right, about medical professionals recommending against it. But -- I think I'd actually check with a med. pro. before writing it off. . ?

Images

You're problem is not with me, it is with the other people providing answers.

e.g. One person responded "Keep your ears open for buzzing and don't wear music headphones."

Do you think I should ignore that advice because it came from a non-medical professional? This is something I'd not thought of before, and something a medical professional would unlikely think to tell me.

Aside from your sarcasm, I'm finding many useful responses. If you're not interested, don't read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    In that case.... take a knife and cut a big "x" just at the wound site. Then suck out the poison. Rub on a bit of antiseptic and bobs your uncle.
    If you find yourself snake bitten sans knife just run as fast as you can to the nearest help. The heat generated by your muscles will render the poison harmless.

The prior information is false. All celebrity voices were impersonations. All similarities to persons living or dead is coincidental. I do not approve the message

I think it's always prudent, whenever anyone asks these medical questions, out of an abundance of caution that we always advise that we are not experts (unless someone answering actually is), and that the PO should really seek professional advice. And maybe, that's where we should quit...Depending. Like, that advice to not wear headphones is good. But I advised a properly applied tourniquet. Maybe I shouldn't have. I mean, I think that's correct, but I'm no expert, and even tho I SAID I'm not an expert, what if somebody takes my advice, tries to apply a tourniquet and winds up losing their leg? So..., I guess the main thing -- GET MEDICAL ADVICE FROM PROFESSIONALS!
    And ahead of time, preferably. If you find yourself out on the trail, and you want to know something medical, if its not an emergency, and if you have cell service, there's always WEBMD..

The main medical consensus, even when discussing what to do if bitten in a remote setting, is to walk out and get medical help. But heck, a "remote setting" means to me you cannot walk out and you can't get cell service. SOOOOO . . . . . Preventing a bite in the first place is of utmost importance.

Which translates into Hike Slow. Look at the Ground as you hike. Keep looking at reststops and in camp and around your tent. When in snake mode you're always "walking point" and you better go slow, stop, look and listen.

Just don't use your tongue like this DA red neck!!!https://www.google.com/amp/wfla.com/...condition/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++