WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Always good to remember antivenin can cost $15,000-$80,000 as well.
    If you're going to take more than the recommended time to get to a source of antivenin, you might as well just fly to a hospital in Mexico. The cost of the identical antivenin there is about $100/vial, vs. $8,000 - $40,000/vial in the U.S. The number of vials required for treatment varies with the amount of venom injected. The most likely possibility is that you'll have a mild to moderate reaction and won't need antivenin, but U.S. treatment could cost enough to ruin your life.

Images

THIS sounds like the biggest reason to avoid a snake bite.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    If you're going to take more than the recommended time to get to a source of antivenin, you might as well just fly to a hospital in Mexico. The cost of the identical antivenin there is about $100/vial, vs. $8,000 - $40,000/vial in the U.S. The number of vials required for treatment varies with the amount of venom injected. The most likely possibility is that you'll have a mild to moderate reaction and won't need antivenin, but U.S. treatment could cost enough to ruin your life.

Images

There aren't any poisonous snakes in Maine, so wearing snake-proof gaiters there is purely wasted effort.
    Good to know. Another piece of advice I'll take from a random person on the Internet.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Good to know. Another piece of advice I'll take from a random person on the Internet.
    According to the comic I posted earlier, he is technically correct.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Would you take it from here?
    http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/hu...on/snakes.html

Images

I wasn't being sarcastic. Well, perhaps I was being sarcastic toward those that insist you only get info from experts. I am very much inclined to take information such as this from strangers who have no reason to lie and don't otherwise diminish their credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post

I don't see the reason for your snark. My chosen user name ought to give you a clue that I know at least something about life in Maine. And it takes very little time to check my statement, as CalebJ did; it's less effort to cut "poisonous snakes in Maine" from my post and paste into your browser's Search box than for you to reply without checking.

Journal Entries

Straight from WebMD site. Treatment for Snake Bites Please note the do nots, such as do not apply a tourniquet.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

sorry for the repeat of information. You can delete both posts please.
    Blackheart

Images

Sorry for the confusion. I was being snarky toward someone else on this thread. See post #5 for context. Also see the following debate so see where I've stood on this (which is that we can and do learn much from people who are not experts).

Actually your claim that there were no venomous snakes in Maine is believable, sounds knowable, can be easily checked, and is something of which you'd not likely have a reason to lie. Also, you have done nothing to diminish your credibility. Consequently, I was willing to take your statement as is without further checking.

I have no beef with you and I am not mocking you. My apologies again for sounding like I did.

I don't see the reason for your snark. My chosen user name ought to give you a clue that I know at least something about life in Maine. And it takes very little time to check my statement, as CalebJ did; it's less effort to cut "poisonous snakes in Maine" from my post and paste into your browser's Search box than for you to reply without checking.

Curious if health insurance would cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 250+ miles of hiking on the AT here in PA, I've encountered only one rattlesnake who was happy to slither off the trail after I repeatedly struck the ground nearby with my hiking poles. Good thing I wasn't blasting music through earbuds, or I would have missed the loud rattling of the snake, which was sunning itself right on the trail.Noticed the 'snakes in Maine' page (http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/hu...on/snakes.html) mentions that there are 5 'keeled' species, then proceeds to name and describe all 4(?).Preventing a snake bite is the best advice, of course, BUT even if we succeed, we may encounter SOMEONE ELSE who got bitten by a venomous snake, and we'll know how to help them. Good comments and info on this thread. Thank you, FlyPaper, and all other contributors.
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Journal Entries

"Doctor say you gon'ia die"

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    Also with a little practice and paying attention you can generally "smell" copperheads before you are close enough to be bitten ... the smell is best described as sour cucumber.
    As a predator that relies on stealth to take its victims, how can it function when it is constantly giving away its presence?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This should make everyone feel great---

i would have died of a heart thing

Quote Originally Posted by tscoffey View Post
    As a predator that relies on stealth to take its victims, how can it function when it is constantly giving away its presence?
    Its victims probably don't follow and read WhiteBlaze forums, where they would learn about that telltale smell. Perhaps the sour cucumber smell appeals to and attracts small rodents thus acting as a lure. However, a previous post says the smell occurs only when the copperhead is agitated, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This should make everyone feel great---
    Someone was operating the camera, .. it was not on a tripod, the viewpoint changes, and zooming in and out occurs. Thus, at least two people were putting their safety at risk. Did this guy deliberately sit down next to a rattlesnake to make a video?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Curious if health insurance would cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From the vast internet research I've done on the subject (I spent 5 whole minutes), I think most health insurance covers anti-venin. That's part of the reason for the high sticker shock. Insured people (or their insurance company) won't pay near the $8,000-$40,000 per vial MSRP.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...h-14-medicine/
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++