WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default apple orchard falls cornelius creek loop

Who here has did this short loop?

I am looking for a few overnighters to do with my six-year-old son this summer.
    Are there any decent campsites near the half-way point? If not, are any decent campsites on that loop?

He loves to hike and doesnt get bored. But, this will be his first overnighter away from the campground or VW bus.

We are in Roanoke. Any other suggestions within a couple hours drive for later trips is much welcomed. I was thinking Grayson Highlands as well...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bus View Post
    Who here has did this short loop?

I am looking for a few overnighters to do with my six-year-old son this summer.
    Are there any decent campsites near the half-way point? If not, are any decent campsites on that loop?

He loves to hike and doesnt get bored. But, this will be his first overnighter away from the campground or VW bus.

We are in Roanoke. Any other suggestions within a couple hours drive for later trips is much welcomed. I was thinking Grayson Highlands as well...

Thanks!
    Can't speak for the falls, but Grayson has the ponies. Bunch of foals wandering around, too.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Did this loop with my teenage son last year. Good hike, definitely enjoyed the falls. Not much in the way of campsites to be found, as I recall. We stealth camped, it was getting dark so we set up shop and went to sleep, no campfire or anything like that.

Mt. Pleasant Loop and Cole Mountain Loop (Hotel Trail) are good options, both about 7 miles round trip and several campsites throughout.

Have you checked out hikingupward.com? Lots of trail options there. I just hiked the North Mountain/Pete's Cave trail today, and there is a great camp area at the 3.2 mile mark.

If you want to do either the Mt. Pleasant or Cole Mtn loops, feel free to PM. I'll be glad to share what I recall.

Images

Great tips guys. Thanks!

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

The falls are my favorit place to go when it comes to camping with friends. What we do however, we car camp just by the trail head. if you walk into the woods towards the water, you will find some really nice campsites. They are far enough away from the car that it does not feel like car camping.

So we usualy hike the 6 mile loop with day packs and come back to the camp pretty much ready for us to sit down and relax.

when i was here for some reason i thought there would be apples all over the place! there wasnt.....

++ New Posts ++