WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpacking with hammocks for Scouts

I'm looking into hammock camping as a solution for my son to backpack with Scouts. Several of the boys have hammocks, thus my son wants one. None of their hammocks have bug nets. Bugs aren't really an issue, but what about other nuisances, ie ants, spiders, etc. I figured with the thru hiking experience here you'll could advise what sort of a worry or issue this night be. I know I've woken up countless times over the years with a large spider on the tent wall, but then again this is with a tent on the ground. On the flip side, people sleep in shelters and scouts in Adirondacks all the time with seemingly no known issues. What do you'll think?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Bugs aren't a problem in South Carolina? I'd want a net.

That being said many troops make the boys sleep two in a tent in keeping with the "Buddy System". Also some places that we camp don't allow hammocks and some places, such as a large open field have no places to hang.

In this neck of the woods (MD and PA) our scouts use UL tarps purchased by the troop from Campmor. 3 or 4 boys per tarp, two tarps per patrol, patrol effort to set them up. I consider it an opportunity to practice teamwork and leadership skills.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Is this a different question from "No net hammock question" you just posted a day or so ago?

Get your son a bug net. He will be the envy of his peers

We hammock hang in Cub Scouts a lot (NJ) and friends hang in their Boy Scout Troop (NC) bugs aren't really that big of an issue for us

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman_atl View Post
    Is this a different question from "No net hammock question" you just posted a day or so ago?
    Same basic question, different forum

Journal Entries

Our troop would not allow scout to sleep in solo shelter.

Most of time, dont camp under trees for obvious reasons , so no place to hang anyway. I recall one adult hanging at one campout over 5 yrs.

Two scouts might hang next to each other, but would have to be under a single tarp . Never tested

In our troop almost every scout hangs - only a few still in tents. (The dads/leaders exact opposite, most in tents, only a couple hang.) Some outings the trees are full of dozens of hammocks - the boys tend to cluster. We've been all over NC (not far from you) and, as you've observed, no one uses a bug net. The Eno stuff can add up when you buy it piece by piece, I wouldn't buy a bug net unless it becomes a problem for him - just start with the tent and tarp (and frankly that's enough for him to put up/take down - the tarps can be hard enough for the boys to adjust correctly for rain, etc.). The boys are tougher than expected - couple of random bugs just not typically a problem.

Just know that if a lot of rain is forecasted or if the outing location doesn't have trees (beach camping, etc.) he'll still need a tent for that outing -

Journal Entries

I gave my grandson all of my equipment which included both a Tarptent and WB Blackbird hammock for his scouting camp outs. The hammock comes with a bug net. He told me later that everyone wanted to lay in his hammock including his leaders. So I would cast my vote for a net.

If you have no or limited experience with hammocks I recommend going to You Tube and checking out Shug Emery's videos. They are very informative and entertaining. Also you can read "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen. It is a short quick read, but is packed with great information. Good Luck.
    Blackheart

This is about the time of year I start using a full net on my hammock. I don't worry about spiders, but the mosquitoes. They will eat you alive from June on if the conditions are right. And even if the air isn't thick with them, they along with other flying creatures will still disrupt your sleep by buzzing into your ears all night.

Quote Originally Posted by G22inSC View Post
    I'm looking into hammock camping as a solution for my son to backpack with Scouts. Several of the boys have hammocks, thus my son wants one. None of their hammocks have bug nets. Bugs aren't really an issue, but what about other nuisances, ie ants, spiders, etc. I figured with the thru hiking experience here you'll could advise what sort of a worry or issue this night be. I know I've woken up countless times over the years with a large spider on the tent wall, but then again this is with a tent on the ground. On the flip side, people sleep in shelters and scouts in Adirondacks all the time with seemingly no known issues. What do you'll think?
    Talk to the older boys in the Troop that hammock camp and/or any adults that hammock camp. In the Troop, that I camped with (as an adult leader), we had a few boys that hammocked (and me). Our troop had a policy that only Star Scouts and above could tent by themselves, and we applied that to hammocks. Here in Florida, unless it's really cold out, I'm using a bug net on my hammock.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

The hennessy scout zip is nearly bombproof. My 8 year old loves his.

We go hammock camping with our youth groups throughout the year here in Florida. Even when we hit the rare temps in the 30s-40s we still use our bug nets. This past winter I lent out my bug net to one teen who just got an ENO hammock but no bug net or tarp. The next morning it had 3-4 bird droppings on it above his face. He was very thankful for the bug net and went out and purchased one after that trip. On different occasions the hammock campers who went without bug nets have encountered spiders in their hammocks, spider webs hanging across their ridgelines, ants in their sleeping bags and most recently, treefrogs.
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    Instagram: @2ndSamuel22

What's the story on the scouting objection to solo tenting / hammocking?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls Down Goes Boom View Post
    The practical aspect is that first year scouts can get scared, cold, sick, lonely, etc at night & it's nice to have another person nearby who can keep you company, check on you and run for help.

The patrol method and the buddy system drive a lot of rules that may not make sense outside of scout groups.

Images

i think so theres a witness to any sexual misconduct....

(and i say this being an eagle scout)

The Boy Scouts have this thing called YPT. Youth Protection Training. It has not been updated when it comes to hammock camping. I have seen some troops address the issues by using a "May Pole" with large tarp to spider web out 5 or 6 hammocks. Then they have another tarp setup for clothes changing etc. Check with troop leader and your local council. Good Luck and hang-on.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

There was some talk on a Scouting forum I belong to about the concerns BSA has with hammock camping. The main issue seemed to be privacy for changing clothes for youth.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

A scout solo in a tent, would not be noticed if he were missing by anyone. People could presume he was in tent, but wasnt.

With tent partners, someone will notice a scouts absence.

I.e. Tommy went to latrine an hour ago and didnt return. Good to know at 10 pm, not 9 am next day.

Also precludes privacy for any number of innapropriate behaviors by scouts or others.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-26-2017 at 17:16.

++ New Posts ++