WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Section Hikers

Default No Trail Name Yet

I’m a section hiker, and I’m okay. I sleep all night and I hike all day...Started in ’96 with a weeklong hike from Amicalola to Deep Gap with my German brother-in-law and have been getting out for a week or so each spring by myself since then. I usually have to explain to people that I am rarely alone at night since I stay at the shelters. Sometimes I get out for a long weekend in the fall, when I am usually alone at night. I once went almost 24 hours without seeing another human being on a fall hike; I enjoy the spring more because I like meeting people. Last spring, I ended at the Humpback Rocks parking area. I am already planning to hike from there to Manassas Gap next spring. I enjoy the length of a weeklong hike because I can carry all the food I need and don’t have to think about getting off the trail. Besides, by the end of the week I can always use a nice shower, even if I bathe in the creeks along the way...
    Last edited by rtfi; 11-06-2002 at 08:36.

Smile section hiker

Two more here, section hikers that is . My wife and I have have made it from Springer to Damascus , having just completed the sections from Erwin. My goal , not hers , is to reach Katahdin by my 60th year . We may need to pick up the pace or change the goal. Oh well , its just time, tic toc ...tic toc....

I have done section-hikes on the AT, but am not hiking the AT in sections. And how long is a section? Is a chunk bigger? Is a section anything short of a thru-hike? Is someone who hiked 2,087 miles a section hiker? It's really quite silly isn't it. Are there hourly hikers? Guess I'm just a backpacker.

Well, I think the definition goes something like this. You are a thru-hiker when you hike from the entire length within 12 months. Anything less (or longer timewise) makes you a secion hiker.

You are a "2000 miler" after you have hiked the entire trail, no matter how long it took.

So, everyone who ventures out on the AT therefore is a section hiker, even if it's only a few feet. And the majority of the users each year at section hikers.

Default Re: Section Hikers

Originally posted by Former Admin
    Are there any Section Hikers in this forum or visiting this forum, this will give us a better idea of whose who.

Terrapin here. I attempted a thru in '90 (pre-Internet days) and made it from Springer to Roanoke VA. Met LoneWolf on that journey... made an impression on me, he did <G>.

Did Katahdin to Monson later that summer. Since then I've completed Maine, re-hiked NH for the umpteenth time, Hanover NH to Bennington VT, and some 25 miles or so of MA. Like the rest of my life -- nothing linear or straightforward, and generally approached via the most roundabout route possible. I figure I've got 800 miles or so left, which I might just knock off in another half-dozen section hikes. Or maybe not.

rafe b.
    aka terrapin

Default Section Hiker

On March 31, 2001, I started from Amicalola on my first AT section hike. Since the age of 14, I had often thought about hiking the AT, but I was 45 before I finally made it onto the trail. It was glorious -- far better than I had ever imagined. The pencil-and-paper journal in which I recorded my experiences is now a much prized possession. That solo hike taught me an important lesson -- to stop postponing my dreams. After that hike, my wife and I have taken a few small adventures that once would have been put off to another day. We have traveled to Montana and learned to snow ski. We have hiked in the Grand Tetons -- it was her first week-long hike. And, we have canoed and hiked in Algonquin, Canada. How we wish we had not waited so long.
    After two wonderful weeks, my first AT section hike ended on April 13, 2001, at Rock Gap shelter near Franklin. But on April 13, 2003, I'm returning to Rock Gap Shelter for the next leg. Katahdin is just a faraway dream, but sometimes dreams come true, don't they?
    Greetings and sincere thanks to all on this site whose willingness to share your experiences and offer your advice helps turn dreams into reality. Happy hiking.

Images

Welcome aboard Rafe. You won't get booted from this site for expressing your opinions!
    Won't that be a welcome change?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++