WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do bears like hammocks more than tents?

I heard that a bear was pawing a hammock camper at Stover Creek a couple of weeks back and there was the 17 year old kid that got pulled out of his hammock and attacked in GSMNP in 2015. There are also all those videos of bears playing in hammocks in people's back yards. Do you think bears like hammocks better than tents?

bears like food.

Well I don't know anybody who keeps a tent in their backyard so I doubt you'll find a video of that. I thought a hiker got but on the leg in his tent in GSMNP a year or two ago.

I think it's only the people sleeping in them that prefer a hammock over a tent. Otherwise it's down to being smart with scented items and mostly lucky.

Like Ashepabst said bears like food or anything that smells like food. The few times I have hammocked I've worried about porcupines walking under my hammock. Anyone ever been brushed on the underside by something while in a hammock?
    -My feet are my only carriage so I've got to push on through-

I have. I generally set up my hammock on the back hill before taking it on the trail, and that's a spot where deer often spend the night. So one night I was awakened by hooves drawing near, and a deer bumped into the hammock and snorted. I asked it to "please get out of here," and it ran off, very surprised. Not a big deal, since I knew what it was.

Default Do bears like hammocks more than tents?

I can tell you that boxer dogs love to screw with hammocks. My two take running starts and jump kick me when I'm napping in the yard.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Maybe they think the hammock is a burrito.

They did a survey and 9 out of 10 Bears prefer Hammocks over tents.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VT-Mike View Post
    Like Ashepabst said bears like food or anything that smells like food. The few times I have hammocked I've worried about porcupines walking under my hammock. Anyone ever been brushed on the underside by something while in a hammock?
    Had a bear go under a guy's hammock one night in the Smokies. We didn't believe him the next morning until we saw the footprints.
    -FA

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I had much rather be in a tent. It has much more protection. NOT!!!
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

Ive heard of a few hammockers being mouthed or bumped by bears . More? Who knows since we hear only a tiny fraction of such things. Bear brushing tent wall or cord probably not as exciting as brushing your backside

The closer you get to the southern border the more the bears like to swipe at hammiocks because it reminds them of a pinata.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The closer you get to the southern border the more the bears like to swipe at hammiocks because it reminds them of a pinata.
    That there is funny . I don't care who you are. ( Although some folks here will not get the humor and accuse you of some social faux paus.)

Images

Bears LOVE burritos!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

Do bears like hammocks more than tents?

Yup

bear.jpg

Great posts, everyone! For the OP, if you haven't figured it out... just don't have scented items in your hammock! Make sure to hang them!

My very first overnight with a hammock was on the shore of a lake. At around midnight I woke up to a beaver scratching at the tree I was hanging from. It was more surprised than me thankfully, and slid into the water when it heard me move. Heard it walk right underneath me water that night, but it never brushed up against me.

After extensive research, bears are known to be most fond of Scandinavian furniture, the cheaper the better like Ikea. Second choice is a hammock, third choice is a picnic table. However, if one uses fish oil as a skin softener the bear won't care what kind of furniture you have.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++