WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone have any experience with a low pitched duomid in buggy conditions?

I'm doing the CT this July and still uncertain what I'll need for bugs as I can't deal with the S2S bug pyramid under the mid as it's a pita to set up....debating just bringing a headnet and pitching close to ground...thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I'm doing the CT this July and still uncertain what I'll need for bugs as I can't deal with the S2S bug pyramid under the mid as it's a pita to set up....debating just bringing a headnet and pitching close to ground...thoughts...

I think youll survive
    Any trapped inside can just be entertainment while you try to kill them

They will tend to congregate at top aand leave you alone. Only if you need evening refuge and set up in a swarm would you probably miss the bug net. At least that was my experience with an oware mid.

Clothing and deet on hands works ok in conjunction with headnet for most times.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-27-2017 at 19:01.

[QUOTE=MuddyWaters;2152230]I think youll survive
    Any trapped inside can just be entertainment while you try to kill them

They will tend to congregate at top aand leave you alone. Only if you need evening refuge would you probably miss the bug net. Clothing and deet on hands works ok in conjunction with headnet[/

I never can sit around at camp...as soon as I'm stopped I tend to get horizontal and hit the sack...

Journal Entries

Good thing about CO, humidity is low enough to pitch to ground if have to. Instant sauna in southeast

If you're not one to savor a sunset then pitch the mid about dark. Eat. Sleep.
    How hard can a mosquito net be? In fact, can't you attach the peak to the mid and leave it attached? Set up the mid and the net is done.
    It works for TarpTents.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If you're not one to savor a sunset then pitch the mid about dark. Eat. Sleep.
    How hard can a mosquito net be? In fact, can't you attach the peak to the mid and leave it attached? Set up the mid and the net is done.
    It works for TarpTents.
    Wayne

Well I've bought the S2S bug pyramid 2x now keep returning after setting up in back yard...pita....maybe I'm lazy but to exit to drain the crankcase is a chore as have to unstake...honestly think I'll go with head net and low pitch as can set up in a minute.....assuming most of my body will be covered by my quilt, beenie, liner gloves etc...face is only exposed area...

You asked where the insects are. Lower, warmer, wetter.
    I'll tell you where they aren't: Higher, Colder, Dryer.
    You'll be fine.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Journal Entries

W...maybe I'm lazy but to exit to drain the crankcase is a chore as have to unstake...

Drain the crankase in a ziplock, seal it up, dump it in the morning. Just put it off your groundsheet incase it leaks
    I never get up to take care of business. Roll on side, fill ziplock, go back to sleep. Keep that special ziplock on outside of pack. rinse with water occassionally.

this also lets me gauge my state of hydration. If I drink 2L at dinner, and I drain 1L overnight, I was running a quart low at the end of the day. Not exact, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-27-2017 at 20:26.

My son and I are starting the CT in July also. We have that exact plan with our Duomid, headnets only. I am finishing a DIY bathtub groundsheet now with no net. Good luck, maybe we will see you on the trail.

Y'all be sure and don't get in Anish's way. Wave when she flies by. Grinning.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Drain the crankase in a ziplock, seal it up, dump it in the morning. Just put it off your groundsheet incase it leaks
    I never get up to take care of business. Roll on side, fill ziplock, go back to sleep. Keep that special ziplock on outside of pack. rinse with water occassionally.

this also lets me gauge my state of hydration. If I drink 2L at dinner, and I drain 1L overnight, I was running a quart low at the end of the day. Not exact, but you get the idea.
    I can see disaster if I did that half asleep...I'd probably piss in my pack...I'm a heavy sleeper....

Quote Originally Posted by cj2874 View Post
    My son and I are starting the CT in July also. We have that exact plan with our Duomid, headnets only. I am finishing a DIY bathtub groundsheet now with no net. Good luck, maybe we will see you on the trail.
    I tried the bathtub floor out of the kite tyvek but ended up going w a poly ground sheet from GG..think the reg wt tyvek being heavier more rigid would work better as others on hear have said.....

Sleep high on windles's nights as V said. Be careful sleeping in marshy or lakeshore areas.

Is it just you going solo? R u pairing the Duomid with a single or double sts net? Either way I find it better spacing to hang the apex cord of the net from a stick on cube hooj bought from ZP affixed part way down the Duomid wall rather than the Duo apex. The STS nets have two bungee's one on each corner that stretch out to the attach to the Duo tent pegs. The foot end I usually just wrap under my sleeping pad. The STS nets are quite stretchy and easy to get out from under.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Sleep high on windles's nights as V said. Be careful sleeping in marshy or lakeshore areas.

Is it just you going solo? R u pairing the Duomid with a single or double sts net? Either way I find it better spacing to hang the apex cord of the net from a stick on cube hooj bought from ZP affixed part way down the Duomid wall rather than the Duo apex. The STS nets have two bungee's one on each corner that stretch out to the attach to the Duo tent pegs. The foot end I usually just wrap under my sleeping pad. The STS nets are quite stretchy and easy to get out from under.
    I've bought and returned the S2S 2.9 oz solo net twice..it's a pita to set up...think I'll just plan to be site selective and use head net with ear plugs....that said I attached to apex...on my poly sheet I have to short pieces of shock cord on back side that attach to clips in rear corners of mid and stake out front corners. The net seems to be a pita to get in and out of....an i nuts for thinking a low pitch with ear plugs and head net would be ok for those buggy nights....thoughts

Have to stay wrapped up in the sleeping bag wearing a head net.

Skeeters and gnats shouldn't be so bad in July on the CT at night.

Spray on some permerthrin to your sleeping bag and Duomid. Swatch test first. It can streak or lighten gear.

Rub garlic all over yourself. Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Have to stay wrapped up in the sleeping bag wearing a head net.

Skeeters and gnats shouldn't be so bad in July on the CT at night.

Spray on some permerthrin to your sleeping bag and Duomid. Swatch test first. It can streak or lighten gear.
    I'm not takin any chances spraying my new EE quilt or cuben mid!!! Good excuse to burn one at night....should keep the skeeters at bay...

Images

I'm not takin any chances spraying my new EE quilt or cuben mid!!! Good excuse to burn one at night....should keep the skeeters at bay...

I sprayed my bivy and it didn't harm it a bit.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I sprayed my bivy and it didn't harm it a bit.
    Cuben or sil?

I sprayed a silny tarp, bivies, and cuben ZP Solo Plus, Duomid, and Solomid. Fine.

Could also spray or soak a STS nanaseeum net in permerthrin if have the version without Insect Shield permerthrin already applied

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++