WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Connecticut parks closed to camping

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?...av_GID=1621%20

Macedonia Brook is closed for camping in 2017 due to their short-sighted budget. The A/T used to pass through there.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Thanks for the head's up.

Now don't get me started about the politics involved.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It should be noted that Connecticut does not have a single wilderness area.
    One of the reasons that keeping the state parks and forests in good operating condition is so essential.

What's even more amazing is Connecticut doesn't have a single national forest. Heck even Texas has a national forest.

What's even more amazing is Connecticut doesn't have a single national forest. Heck even Texas has a national forest.
    Meh. From the 200 or so different miles I have traveled on foot through Sam Houston NF from I took away it was mamaged largely by and for the logging industry although some more protected scenic areas and adjacent SPs hold more of a scenic appeal.

Expect many more closings IF people like US do nothing but complain after it is gone.

Texas has precious little public lands. Something to do with being a sovereign nation prior to becoming a state.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

It should be noted that Connecticut does not have a single wilderness area.
    Yes we do......three actually, one in Bridgeport, one in New Haven and one in Hartford.

The title of your thread does not seem accurate http://www.nhregister.com/lifestyle/...layoff-threats. The article I linked to states 4 small campgrounds are closed to camping. The article lasted says there are 15 campgrounds in the state.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Yes we do......three actually, one in Bridgeport, one in New Haven and one in Hartford.
    thanks, coach... us nutmeggers need to stick together!
    Lazarus

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    The title of your thread does not seem accurate http://www.nhregister.com/lifestyle/...layoff-threats. The article I linked to states 4 small campgrounds are closed to camping. The article lasted says there are 15 campgrounds in the state.
    A lot is still up in the air while the legislators wrestle over a fiscal crisis in the state. Unfortunately park funding was severly cut last year and has now emerged as a high profile political football during the budget process this year. As early as last week they had threatened to completely shutter many of the most popular parks prior to Memorial day weekend.
    Staffing has already been reduced to the point where there are only 35 full time state park employees maintaining 110 state parks and 40 state forests. Many of the state firefighters that fought the recent A.T. wildfire in Kent were doing so despite being on notice that they are going to be laid off in the near future.
    I don't know that I can write much more without getting into politics, however it's fair to say that if something is not done to shore up the park and DEEP budgets then these will likely be just the first of many closures.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-29-2017 at 11:58.

It doesn't take much in the way of resources to operate a public campground. I know of several operated on public land that contract with a campground host who mows the grass, cleans the restrooms and picks up the trash...all they get is a cut of the fees charged to campers. There is no reason to close a campground due to lack of funds. This is either very poor management or a deliberate attempt to blackmail voters/legislators into supporting an otherwise unpopular budget proposal. Same thing happened when all of the federal facilities were 'closed' due to budget issues. I saw lots of gates locked that led to areas that receive little to no maintenance at all and did not require public funds to keep them open during the short time supposed budget issues kept them closed. Some of those locked gates were on campgrounds like I described above, and the only people hurt by closing them were the campground host who could no longer collect camping fees and the campers whose vacation or weekend was ruined.

I'm confused why it matters if a state contains a national forest?

That seems something easy to establish in states that were later settled, but Connecticut was well settled very early in our nations history. But to go back to point one, why does it matter?

More on the general topic of the post, this has impacted our Boy Scout Troop, as we use the state parks that offer youth group camping, and after the proposed cuts there are only two in the state left open.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    I'm confused why it matters if a state contains a national forest?

That seems something easy to establish in states that were later settled, but Connecticut was well settled very early in our nations history. But to go back to point one, why does it matter?
    It matters so outdoorsmen can go backpacking and camping without fear of permits or fees or reservations or regulations or whatever else.

Free in CT so far on the AT or in any of the other backpacking areas the state offers, but I guess your point is that federal areas are safer from new fees being imposed? These days I'm not sure which is a safer bet, but you raise a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    It doesn't take much in the way of resources to operate a public campground. I know of several operated on public land that contract with a campground host who mows the grass, cleans the restrooms and picks up the trash...all they get is a cut of the fees charged to campers. There is no reason to close a campground due to lack of funds. This is either very poor management or a deliberate attempt to blackmail voters/legislators into supporting an otherwise unpopular budget proposal. Same thing happened when all of the federal facilities were 'closed' due to budget issues. I saw lots of gates locked that led to areas that receive little to no maintenance at all and did not require public funds to keep them open during the short time supposed budget issues kept them closed. Some of those locked gates were on campgrounds like I described above, and the only people hurt by closing them were the campground host who could no longer collect camping fees and the campers whose vacation or weekend was ruined.
    I've been to Macedonia Brook many times, also went to Devil's Hopyard as a Boy Scout. Two campground staff workers could do what is necessary to maintain M.B., revenue was $16-$26 per site minimum X over 50 sites, do the math. They had too many workers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    I've been to Macedonia Brook many times, also went to Devil's Hopyard as a Boy Scout. Two campground staff workers could do what is necessary to maintain M.B., revenue was $16-$26 per site minimum X over 50 sites, do the math. They had too many workers IMO.
    You of course know due to layoffs, Macedonia Brook SP staff has been cut over the years to the point its difficult keeping the park office open to deal with camping reservations and check licenses. Personnel assigned there also perform required maintenance and attendant duties at other nearby State properties like Kent Falls. Given some of the "campers" I have seen there who apparently bring their annual household trash with them to scatter around, its a wonder they can keep the place looking as nice as they do.

If you're a backpacker the "closed" isn't a concern. Maybe for car campers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++