WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hanging a backpack ???

I recently ran into a fellow hiking friend and told him that one of the few things I still had to buy for my upcoming section hike was a bear bag. He then told me that he doesn't use a bear bag, instead, he hangs his entire backpack. Are there a lot of people who actually do that? Other than the obvious weight difference, what would be the pros and cons of doing that? Personnaly, I'm still thinking of getting the bear bag but I am curious to see if others hang their packs.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I can think of a pretty big con: if the bear manages to grab your food bag, you're out of food, if it gets your whole pack, you may be SOL.

...and for what it's worth, I use a bear can 90% of the time.

Images

I have seen it done, not very often just 3 times. I saw one on a bear pole and once on a bear cable and the one time it made sense to me was once in a tree in the daytime while the owner was swimming/bathing in a stream with the bag out of sight and hopefully out of mind of both the bears and overly curious hikers.

Many shelters have separate hangs for backpacks and for food bags.

Journal Entries

Depends on how and the pack

Bear cables....like gsmnp...not a problem

Bear pole? Well, its hard enough to hang a 7 lb foodbag on a high hook using a 10' pole, its too unwieldy. A heavier pack just that much harder

Cord? Depends on total weight.
    I have tried to be nice and hang other hikers foodbag on my hang before. With thin cord, what works with a 7 lb foodbag dont work with 20...at all. Literally cant raise it. Need rope.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-29-2017 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I can think of a pretty big con: if the bear manages to grab your food bag, you're out of food, if it gets your whole pack, you may be SOL.
    Heck yeah!

Here we go again.
    Redundant question and answers.
    The answers:
    Yes. No. Maybe. It depends.
    Y'all have fun.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

i've never hung a pack or a food bag. both go in my tent

The pack can be too heavy. Thin and light dyneema cord is hard on the hands if the bag is heavy. Bear bag. Not pack. I hiked with a couple last summer that hung all of their food in one back pack. The thing must have weighed 30 lbs. it was quite comical helping them hoist that thing in the dark!

Also can harm tree with the thin cord...if you must hoist a heavy load try pushing up with trekking pole handle while ya pull.....

There is an interesting thread HERE about a modification to the PCT hang which I have tried, and it works very well. I used the 7mm Antal rings as recommended by Kaptainkriz later in the thread, with video detailing how to use it. I used the bear bag line from Lawson and some 1" webbing I had on hand for the part that wraps over the tree branch.

I recently hoisted food for 3 people on a 3-day, 2-night trip and with food weight of about 14-15 lbs it was super easy since the pulley setup provides a 2:1 mechanical advantage. There is a bit of a learning curve to it, but after a couple of times working through the process you realize it isn't all that complicated. I think Kaptainkriz's recommended Antal rings are the perfect choice for the 2 pulley points.

Yes, the cost is a bit steep for a bear bagging setup, but this is pretty much the ultimate solution to the problem of hoisting a hefty load.

No, it doesn't make it any easier to sling that damn rock over the branch, lol!
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-29-2017 at 18:12.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There is an interesting thread HERE about a modification to the PCT hang which I have tried, and it works very well. I used the 7mm Antal rings as recommended by Kaptainkriz later in the thread, with video detailing how to use it. I used the bear bag line from Lawson and some 1" webbing I had on hand for the part that wraps over the tree branch.

I recently hoisted food for 3 people on a 3-day, 2-night trip and with food weight of about 14-15 lbs it was super easy since the pulley setup provides a 2:1 mechanical advantage. There is a bit of a learning curve to it, but after a couple of times working through the process you realize it isn't all that complicated. I think Kaptainkriz's recommended Antal rings are the perfect choice for the 2 pulley points.

Yes, the cost is a bit steep for a bear bagging setup, but this is pretty much the ultimate solution to the problem of hoisting a hefty load.

No, it doesn't make it any easier to sling that damn rock over the branch, lol!
    Ive found my 20oz Gatorade bottle is easier to throw over branch than a rock....lil water in it obviously....

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Here we go again.
    Redundant question and answers.
    The answers:
    Yes. No. Maybe. It depends.
    Y'all have fun.
    Wayne

And yet you read it! Presumably for the entertainment value.

I never saw the need to hang my pack. Just don't leave any food in it.

Some backcountry sites in British Columbia provide a sturdy pole arrangement with 5 gallon paint cans on ropes. My daughter's pack on one side and mine on the other for balance. Food and a few odds and ends not needed for sleeping in the packs.
    As many have pointed out during myriad hanging discussions, there isn't much left in your pack by the time you go to sleep.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I saw and used a bear hang method with a piece of plastic pipe with two holes through it for the cord, return cord goes through it and a half hitch around it to secure it. To be used instead of searching for a piece of branch. I feel sure I saw it on Youtube but never found when I looked again. Easy to see than explain.

I have hoisted a backpack off the ground at a campground when getting ready to cook and the place was alive with chipmunks. Heavy to do but it kept the chipmunks amused.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    As many have pointed out during myriad hanging discussions, there isn't much left in your pack by the time you go to sleep.
    Wayne

Not true for a great many people, particularly when shelter sleeping.

Images

Once I saw one of those expensive REI trip groups all hang their packs on the bear cables at one of the shelters in the Smokies. The one thru-hiker and I just kind of laughed to ourselves.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Once I saw one of those expensive REI trip groups all hang their packs on the bear cables at one of the shelters in the Smokies. The one thru-hiker and I just kind of laughed to ourselves.
    At least they were out there, hopefully picking up some pointers from you and others, even if just seeing how you did things.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++