WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Default What's your name?

I thought that is might be fun to know what everones trailname will be. Many use their screen name, but many don't :-) Maybe add the story that goes with it!
    Mine will be Wonderfoot. I got mine frome my friends who were with me 2 years ago when I was recovering from a bone transplant in my leg......and one night after 6 months in a cast, we were toasting my freedom and someone said wonderfoot instead of wonderful. Not very exciting, but there ya go!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

ah, come on attroll they were funny.

Images

I've been geocaching for a couple years now and my geo-handle has been "Shiraz-mataz." It's a name I made up from "Shiraz," which is my favorite fermented adult beverage from down-under, and "mataz" which, heck, is just something that rhymes... People who know me tend to shorten it to just "Shiraz" which is fine with me! I'm just a thru-hiker wannabe and section hiker in planning but perhaps the name will carry over.

Default Trail Names

It seems to me most hikers have a name long before they hit the trail. Shame. Just start hiking and a good name will find you. Seems to me to be part of the whole thruhike experience. If you don't like the first couple names people tag you with just ignore it, the name will go away. I sure as hell didn't pick Prozac but I wouldn't trade it for anything now. Besides, people always seem to move over and make room for me at a shelter when I tell my trailname is Prozac.

Images

Below is a little reading material,,, my response = post #71,, "Big Dawg,,,,, I'm BIG,,, I have 2 yellow labs & love dogs-----& am "leader of my pack"

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

From the thread BD quoted (slightly revised):

Boy..I've answered this question many times over the years. But..it is a good one.

The "trail name" is an 80+ year old family nickname. The last name (Magnanti)[1] trips up many people. Was "Magaroni" on the AT...but was shortened to Mags by many people anyway! My grandfather was Dom(enic) Mags, dad and brother are Steve Mags, other brother is Joey Mags[2] and I am often called Paul Mags. Many times, people will just call me Mags for short in the "real world"; at work there are two Pauls..guess what they call me? My friends here in Boulder will often just call me Mags as well.

Since the outdoors is such a large part of my life, having two seperate names is not that important to me. And, I think it is way cool to have a nickname that has been so long in my family. So my "trail name" was given because my last name is hard to say!

[1] In American English it is pronounced like bag-fan-tea. In the original Italian it is pronounced "ma-nyan-tee". The "nyan" sound is like canyon (or lasagna..mmm lasagna). Since going to Italy and meeting relatives (and practing speaking Italian with a "real Italian" friend here in town), been using the original pronounciation more. Yeah..it is easier to say "Mags"!

[2] My middle brother's band bio:http://www.hawkinsrise.com/mags_bio1.html
    We share a last name, a nick name and some similar features...and not too much else. Love him anyway.
    Last edited by Mags; 01-29-2006 at 18:21.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

My trail name last year seemed to stick even off the trail so I will use it again this year. It is AU. Makes it easy for people to yell at me and as a gold prospector I dig the AU.

Default matthewski

ran away to the trail in port clinton PA at 16.signed all the registers matthewski.i hate change.called mom from duncannon.stayed at the doyal for a week and ate candy and read mario puzos ' fools die ,in bed.went home.

Images

Went to Trail Days and told a friend that my nickname all my life has been Lilred and was hoping for a different trail name. Well, when he heard my nickname was Lilred, he said that was a great trail name for me so he proceeded to introduce me to about a hundred people as Lilred, so there it is. My trail name is now Lilred. Thanks Okie, I think.....
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Trial name?..If I ever get back into good enough shape to resume some distance hiking I`ll use "Lost Star" which is a nick name I received from the original "Squeaky" Fromme

Anyone for some Cards?
    GA-ME 04
    GA-VA 05

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo
    Trial name?..If I ever get back into good enough shape to resume some distance hiking I`ll use "Lost Star" which is a nick name I received from the original "Squeaky" Fromme
    It all comes together now.

Cool Change - Donating Member drsukie's Avatar
    Images

Default Cool Change

Little River Band song -- form my college days, as in "time for a...cool change"

Altho it's about going out alone on the water, it's the same thoughts as hiking out alone.. a journey in the wilds, albeit the AT is woods vs. water.

I spent the summer of 1978 with my boyfriend in Astoria, OR, cleaning fish at the Bumblebee tuna cannery. Our roommate worked at the shrimp cannery. Our house smelled like a cat's delight. We had three well-worn cassettes until mid-summer - all Little River Band. The AM radio station had Finnish language programming on Sundays. We were 19; without ID cards. I still am amazed I made it through in many ways, but it was a BLAST. We are now again the very best of friends....

I NEVER thought 1) I would listen to LRB again, and 2) eat tuna, 3) hang with Ed again! Surprise! Here we go! Sue
    Last edited by drsukie; 01-31-2006 at 00:24.
    "there is no price too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - R. Kipling

Images

hello mr anderson;my name is neo neo

Images

Nokia. You know you talk on the phone at on road crossing coming out of town and suddenly you're named after a phone. Okay so it was like 4 hours. I missed the girl what can I say?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia
    Nokia. You know you talk on the phone at on road crossing coming out of town and suddenly you're named after a phone. Okay so it was like 4 hours. I missed the girl what can I say?
    nokia is the only cell phone i have had excellent results with i just sent a LG2000 back to cingular,i am getting another nokia,you have great trail name neo

Quote Originally Posted by prozac
    Just start hiking and a good name will find you. Seems to me to be part of the whole thruhike experience.
    That's kinda how I feel about it. I always thought the fun in trailnames was that your trailname selected you ... not the other way around.

I go by "QHShowoman" on here because this was my very first AOL screename. At the time, I was training and showing Quarter Horses avidly. I carried this name over to other internet forums and am commonly referred to as "Q" in lots of circles. BUT, I definitely want my trailname to be different.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

Got the trail name Pennsylvania Rose 16 yrs ago by 2 other hikers. They asked my trail name; I didn't have one; they asked where I was from; told them Pennsylvania; when I saw them later at the top of Justus Mtn., they said that I should be Pennsylvania Rose; that got shortened to Rosie by some. I moved to KY 15 yrs ago, so I don't feel like Pennsylvania Rose fits me, and there are several Rosies, although I'm attached to both names. Maybe the new, perfect name will come to me someday.

I got my trail name from my hiking partner. My face turns bright red when I'm hiking, so cheeks are 'rosie'..
    Rosie

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Mine is Puck. In 2000 when I started SoBo I was carrying and reading a copy of Midsummer Nights Dream. A 63 yr olf yoyo'er I had met leaner my middle name is Robin and started calling me Robin Goodfellow, but shortened it to Puck. It's changed a few times, but i'm back to the original. Be well.

Puck
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++