WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "Best Choice" Hammock stand question

I saw something a day or two ago, about Best Choice hammock stands. Like this (I hope this works) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...f_rd_i=desktop

My yard hasn't got appropriate trees for hammocking (too small, too far apart). I have a Hennessey from long ago that I've used a bit, and one of Massdrop's Byer Moskito hammocks. The specs on both hammocks say they are approximately 114 inches long. I'm short, so I am not too worried about the hammock length. But, will one of those work for my hammocks? They apparently have different sizes--from 9 feet to 15 feet. From people's comments, I can't tell if I want the shorter one, and hang things as tightly as I can, or a longer one and hope it doesn't droop too much. (I looked at hammockforums.net, but they talked about clews and knots and then making your own with 2x4's, and let's just not go there. I can do a granny knot and I can follow the directions on the Hennessey bag for doing the lashing.) I'm hoping to be able to put up one of my hammocks at my house. Sigh.

I am but a simple tent dweller. Help.

Pringles

P.S. Please don't use math. You'll make my head blow up.

it's 10 feet from end to end. not suitable for hanging a camping hammock. You need the ends to be about 15 feet apart. This would work for one of those short chinese l parachute hammocks if you hang it really tight. I wouldn't want to try to lay asymetrically in it though.

Check out this as an alternative. You can hang from one tree or no trees with it.

http://www.tiggzcraftworkz.com/

Also, if you go over to hammockforums.net and have a looksee on the forums, you can search for 1 tree hammock setup and there's lots of jerry-rigged stuff there.

I find 5 good paces (approximately 15 ft) to be a good distance between trees when I hang my hammock. The straps are about 6- 6/12 ft off the ground to get the appropriate sag (for comfort) and to keep the hammock at a good height off the ground.

sorry, didn't see that they have a 15 ft version. get one of those and you'll be fine.

Thank you all for the advice!

15' as said. You can always hang shorter but never make it bigger.
    You will probably want to pick up some kind of straps or whoopies though... and not sure how the Hennessey lash will work on a stand. Not personally familiar with it but if I recall it's the friction on the tree that makes it work; so you may yet need a knot or two.

That's actually sort of part of my original question. This person's self-made hammock stand is, I think, 10 feet. I guess that's why I wonder if my shorter hammocks would work on the shorter frame. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Journal Entries

The combination of the t-sections and regular cyclone fence top rails allow you to adjust the length to fit your needs. Depending on which hammock you have, you can use either straps or Whoopie Slings, both of which can be adjusted to the proper tension. Check out HammockForums.net and Derek Hansen's website for a bunch of great information. After you have digested that go over to Shug Emery's YouTube channel and see and hear some of the best nuts and bolts of hammock camping you can get. It may look like a large amount of info, but some of it repeats stuff but watch and/or read all of it and you will be able to make the best decisions for your needs. How I do things suits me just fine, but may not work for you. Some of the knots and other rope items can be found on YouTube with detailed instructions how to make your own. If you want to get into that, go see Dutch's website for great prices on rope and other hammock do-dads he has come up with. Hope this helps. Oh one last thing on hammockforums.net check to section on hammock hangs in your area and go see a great variety of hammocks from homemade to the latest and great from cottage industry outfitters and big box outfitters.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    Check out this as an alternative. You can hang from one tree or no trees with it.

http://www.tiggzcraftworkz.com/

Also, if you go over to hammockforums.net and have a looksee on the forums, you can search for 1 tree hammock setup and there's lots of jerry-rigged stuff there.
    Do you have experience hiking with these? Are these good alternatives to carbon fiber?

My brother just made me a simple tripod stand. It was easy. Ive slept in it for 2 nights and so far so good.

Home depot 6 square/recrangle pieces of wood 2.06. Had them cut them to 6 feet.
    One 2x4 12 feet long.

My brother drilled holes for me.
    On the 6 foot poles holes at 6in from top and 12 in from bottom.

He ripped 2by 4 to be 2 inches wide and drilled a hole 2 inches from end on both sides.
    Tied three six foot poles together tightly at 1in mark. Crossed 2 outer poles to make tripod. Put rope thru holes on bottom to prevent spread. Repeated to make 2nd tripod. Tied up cross beam. All done.

Thanks for the new responses.

++ New Posts ++