WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Umbrella w wind jacket vs rain parka in July....

July CT hike....I've never tried an umbrella but could see it working great on CT with the daily storms......advice? The weight would be pretty close to the same either way but a down side is that I use trekking poles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those storms are often accompanied by violent wind gusts and lightning as well!

Got caught in one at the top of Kings Peak in Utah some years ago—very nasty. And we were very lucky there was no lightning.

If the wind is not bad they work great.You put your handle behind your sternum strap and I attach the bottom to my hipbelt with a piece of gear snake.Both hands are free for your trekking poles.

Journal Entries

Umbrella is great when just waiting out storm too. Or setting up/ eating in rain.
    Beats sitting in rain with hood on looking down

Id still want heavier jacket than a windjacket in cold rain. Mine clings when wet and water just sucks heat out me.

I think of my brella as a luxury for rain, not a required piece of gear. But i always have full raingear, im stupid that way.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-31-2017 at 10:28.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Umbrella is great when just waiting out storm too. Or setting up/ eating in rain.
    Beats sitting in rain with hood on looking down

Id still want heavier jacket than a windjacket in cold rain. Mine clings when wet and water just sucks heat out me.

I think of my brella as a luxury for rain, not a required piece of gear. But i always have full raingear, im stupid that way.
    "Stupid that way" means options to stay comfortable. The umbrella has as many practical uses at camp as in the trail. It's standard equipment for all of my hikes, as is raingear.

I think it's a great idea. the SenZ unbrellas are built to withstand wind gusts.
    Let me go

I haven't seen anyone on the CT using an umbrella for rain, but I have seen a couple of guys using one for shade (ie, a parasol).

I have not been rained on too much on the CT because I have a tendency to wake up with the sun and get moving. If I'm on the trail at 7am, I found that I could get 7 or 8 hours of hiking in by about 3pm. For me, 7 or 8 hours pretty much constitutes a full day (15 or 20 miles, depending on the terrain). By setting up camp by 4pm, I generally had my tent set up in time for the afternoon storms.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bamadog View Post
    If the wind is not bad they work great.You put your handle behind your sternum strap and I attach the bottom to my hipbelt with a piece of gear snake.Both hands are free for your trekking poles.
    My pack has an attachment point on the shoulder strap. Works pretty well, but best to figure it out before you leave the house.

Our umbrellas have been very helpful in rain when temperatures are warm or moderate and you want to avoid all that sweating. If it's a cold rain, you'll probably want your rain jacket on, so the umbrella is superfluous. Umbrellas are also really good for shade. Worth carrying if you'll have a lot of exposure.

Another consideration is how clear the trail is. If you expect a narrow trail with a lot of side growth from bushes and trees encroaching on the corridor at head height and above, the umbrella isn't very useful.

I plan to be moving by 7...but needing to avg lil over 20mpd so doubt I'll beat them...I'm only good for a 2mph avg as I tend to take 15 min breaks every few hours and an hour or so siesta at lunch.....don't really want to carry both so maybe I'll stick w parka as also worn at night if needed....

Images

I have an elastic loop connected to to top strap of the burn. Handle goes in and then I connect the handle strap onto the lower shoulder strap. Also sometime use the chest strap as well. Works very well.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    I haven't seen anyone on the CT using an umbrella for rain, but I have seen a couple of guys using one for shade (ie, a parasol).

I have not been rained on too much on the CT because I have a tendency to wake up with the sun and get moving. If I'm on the trail at 7am, I found that I could get 7 or 8 hours of hiking in by about 3pm. For me, 7 or 8 hours pretty much constitutes a full day (15 or 20 miles, depending on the terrain). By setting up camp by 4pm, I generally had my tent set up in time for the afternoon storms.
    I get a chuckle out of all of you late risers. But, I fundamentally agree with you. I start early (really early) and most often am in my tent sitting out the afternoon thunderstorms.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Temperature drops dramatically during storms. You'll want rain gear.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I plan to be moving by 7...but needing to avg lil over 20mpd so doubt I'll beat them...I'm only good for a 2mph avg as I tend to take 15 min breaks every few hours and an hour or so siesta at lunch.....don't really want to carry both so maybe I'll stick w parka as also worn at night if needed....

I'd agree that you're probably better off with the parka. Unless you tend to stay up late at night, you probably won't get much use from it for warmth in the evening. However, I usually wore my rain jacket in the morning for warmth while I ate breakfast and broke camp. It's pretty common to wake up to temperatures between 40 and 50 degrees on the CT, so a rain jacket is perfect for that. And then every once in a while you'll wake up to temperatures between 30 and 40 for which you'll want something a little warmer....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    Temperature drops dramatically during storms. You'll want rain gear.

Especially at 14000 ft.

I was sleeted on heavy once, temp in 40s while dayhiking a 14er in early july. The temp in denver that day was 105-110.
    I had to hide behind a rock to get out of the sideways sleet.

I would have liked an umbrella actually.....even in the high wind I would have put it to good use while hunkered behind rock keeping sleet off me.

I can think of a few hail downpours I would have liked on in too.

Thx for all the great insight....other than GG what umbrellas out there that y'all using?

Garlic
    Images

Brollies just aren't standard gear in the high country, but there's no reason you should be like everyone else. We do need outliers.

Consider the umbrella a luxury, I think, applicable to a small set of conditions. As mentioned, much of the rain in CO is accompanied by gusty wind. And it often clears in an hour or less. But there are times it would be nice to have one. I say the same about camp chairs.

We had a hail storm here a couple of weeks ago, now listed as the most expensive insurance event in state history, exceeding even all wildland fires. Cars and roofs were destroyed en masse. It was one of the few times in my life I did not have an urge to go outside to experience something, even with an umbrella.

Journal Entries

What is the best device for listening to audio books and music on the trail. I need this to keep my focus and don't want to use up my phone battery. Suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I have an elastic loop connected to to top strap of the burn. Handle goes in and then I connect the handle strap onto the lower shoulder strap. Also sometime use the chest strap as well. Works very well.
    If you happen to make a gear list for your July CT hike I'd appreciate it if you don't mind sharing...

Images

A very timely post from Swami on wet weather hiking.

http://www.thehikinglife.com/2017/06...d-wet-weather/

as far as gear list, here is an abbreviated list as I haven't done a formal one in years, not all inclusive but pretty close.

Golite UL-20 quilt (the old good style) - 20oz
    MLD Burn - about 14 oz. with all the extra pockets.
    X-lite -about 9-10 oz.
    midstyle shelter MYOG -7 oz.
    tigoat bivy -8 oz.

lightweight down jacket
    wind shirt.
    long sleeve lightweight shirt.
    disposable poncho.
    umbrella.

may take cook set - MLD 850ml pot with ULC Caldrea stove - 5oz.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    A very timely post from Swami on wet weather hiking.

http://www.thehikinglife.com/2017/06...d-wet-weather/

as far as gear list, here is an abbreviated list as I haven't done a formal one in years, not all inclusive but pretty close.

Golite UL-20 quilt (the old good style) - 20oz
    MLD Burn - about 14 oz. with all the extra pockets.
    X-lite -about 9-10 oz.
    midstyle shelter MYOG -7 oz.
    tigoat bivy -8 oz.

lightweight down jacket
    wind shirt.
    long sleeve lightweight shirt.
    disposable poncho.
    umbrella.

may take cook set - MLD 850ml pot with ULC Caldrea stove - 5oz.
    Perfect....I just read his post lil bit ago....I'd say you could have used a pack raft more than a brella in that pic! Great timing.....thx for the insight...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++