WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Section Hiking late June: Swift Run Gap to Thornton Gap, VA: Whats this section like?

Hi! I want to do 3 days/2 nights on my own. Not too hard as its my first time. Dont need lodging or amenities (using tent). Hows this section Swift Run Gap to Thornton Gap? An relatively easy 34 miles for 3 days? Any opinions on this section or others that meet my criteria are welcomed! I am very grateful. -ericrhett

Images

I've hiked the whole park both solo and with my partner. It's an enjoyable place to hike. Thornton Gap is north, right? That section north of Swift Run Gap is great. Not too hard (we did the whole 65 miles to Front Royal in 5 days), good places to stop for the full SNP experience, like Big Meadows Wayside for a nice meal. There were places to set up a tent at all the shelters ("huts"), and you can tent in between, though be aware of the regulations. I recall water being available in lots of places, too, both springs at the huts and in developed campsites and picnic areas that you're walking through.

Hope you enjoy it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++