WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default unwanted companions

On a recent section hike in VA, my partner and I passed a guy heading in the other direction more than a few miles from a road crossing. He had three beagles in tow, and he looked pretty distressed. He told us the dogs had been following him for hours, that he was really worried about them but hadn't been able to get close enough to them to check their collars, and he didn't know what to do. Dude was waaaay more stressed out than he should have been. We talked about it for a minute or two, but as we went our separate directions, the dogs followed me instead of him. I said to him over my shoulder, "Well, you're in luck, they aren't following you anymore." He called back to us, pleading with us to take care of the dogs and to try to find their owner.

Umm, no. I told my partner that those weren't my dogs, that I don't even own a dog of my own and am not looking to take care of someone else's animals, and I was just going to pretend like they weren't walking in a line 3' behind me. Well, that got old after a couple of miles because I couldn't think about anything else, so eventually I was able to lure one of them in close enough with some jerky to get his owner's name off of his collar. We called "Buckshot" and left a voicemail telling him his dogs would be at the trailhead at the next road crossing in about 30 minutes. We still hadn't heard from him by the time we got there, so we distracted the dogs with some more jerky near a picnic table, made our escape, and didn't see them again.

Later that afternoon, I mentioned it to a couple of girls that we met, and one of them LOST HER MIND because we left those dogs behind. Told us we had no heart, and that we should hope nothing happened to those dogs, that they didn't get hit by a car, etc. because we would be responsible. I thought she was joking at first, but she was not. How would we be responsible?? And how long were we supposed to sit and wait for Buckshot to call back? In the end, I just agreed that she was a better person than us and moved along. I still don't believe we did anything wrong, but I have to admit that after the dogs had been following me for a few miles, I did start to feel a twinge of responsibility for them.

However, it did make me wonder...if you've ever had an animal latch on to you for an extended period of time during a long distance hike, what did you do about it?
    -tagg

Not your responsibility.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

never had it happen but if i did i would do as you did, and if i came across a person that got distressed at my solution i would give them direction to the dogs.. it is most likely hunting dogs that are lost, people are looking for them and they will find them... no worries

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

It's tricky. If I saw a dog that by my observation appeared to be a hiker's lost pet then I'd probably try to help. If I saw three beagles like you describe I'd likely assume that they were a local's hunting dogs that were roaming and that they'd just head on home when they got bored.

I've found that a lot of people from suburban areas don't fully appreciate that in many rural areas dogs are allowed to roam and there is no need to "save" some local's dog that is out on it's daily stroll.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    It's tricky. If I saw a dog that by my observation appeared to be a hiker's lost pet then I'd probably try to help. If I saw three beagles like you describe I'd likely assume that they were a local's hunting dogs that were roaming and that they'd just head on home when they got bored.

I've found that a lot of people from suburban areas don't fully appreciate that in many rural areas dogs are allowed to roam and there is no need to "save" some local's dog that is out on it's daily stroll.
    Yes, exactly. I owned a beagle as a kid in the suburbs. It was impossible to keep him contained. He was always gone but always found his way home. I'd be more worried if I saw them roaming the suburbs. In thecwoods, they don't need saving.

I think you did just about right.

Only thing different is maybe you should have given the distressed girl "Buckshot's" number and let her handle it from there.

Journal Entries

Mooching trail dogs. They live nearby and go on trail to follow hikers to try to get a treat, they will latch on to hikers in the opposite direction to come back, never really staying with anyone that long as they have a home that they want to get back to.

You have no technical "responsibility" but we can have compassion for other creatures and people and go out of our way to help when we can. Some people have a greater sense of this than others but its your life to live. It was nice of you to be creative and call the owner. You could have also called the police or animal control and let them take it from there.

Images

Lots of hunting dogs are allowed to roam and/or get loose. Sometimes Good Samaritan hikers get in trouble for adopting one, and the owner gets mad - they are expensive dogs. Best to leave them alone, so I agree you did right.

We found a goat in a remote area on the trail in Virginia. She was dragging ten feet of chain, and it had gotten hung up in some rocks, so she'd have died if we left her. I freed the chain, and she followed us for miles and miles. No collar, no tags, no one to call. I expect there were several goat dairy farms in the area, she could have come from any of them. She eventually wandered off when we got near a road crossing.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

What did I do? I consulted with my hiking partner who concluded the dog was a hunting dog. it was looking a bit skinny and had a tag on its collar. We attached a rope to the dog's collar and hiked it out to the road. Before reaching our parking area, we crossed the property of a thruhiker (triple crowner). He took responsibility for calling the owner, who picked up the dog.

Sounds like three hunting dogs so possibly they would wander home eventually. You can't save every stray animal you run across. On the other hand, you had a collar and a phone number and a cell phone. It was a half-hearted attempt you made. You waited thirty minutes and that was it. Seriously, not enough time to get to a rural area. The dogs could have been miles away from home and the owner could have been working. Beagles are all nose and don't know much about cars. They catch a whiff of something and they are off. Did you want the owner to show up at the road with one of the dogs run over? You couldn't wait an extra hour because ... you were on vacation? It was an easy opportunity to practice compassion. If self-interest is the prime motivator, consider you might have been rewarded.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I consider stray, roaming hunting dogs to be in the same category as abandoned pets and these pests glom onto me for days at a time with no relief. They will claw my tent and thermarest, steal my food, jump into my tent and even pull my dog's pack out of a tree to get to the food. Real pests. And they often follow me for days.

Where are the owners? Dang good question. If I left my dog out in the middle of nowhere for days at a time, especially in the winter, I'd be cited by the forest service. The saddest sight is seeing these dogs shivering at 10F and wearing not one but three cumbersome battery collars---as below---

Hunters and people should stay with their animals---for the duration.

TRIP 128 328-L.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I consider stray, roaming hunting dogs to be in the same category as abandoned pets and these pests glom onto me for days at a time with no relief. They will claw my tent and thermarest, steal my food, jump into my tent and even pull my dog's pack out of a tree to get to the food. Real pests. And they often follow me for days.

Where are the owners? Dang good question. If I left my dog out in the middle of nowhere for days at a time, especially in the winter, I'd be cited by the forest service. The saddest sight is seeing these dogs shivering at 10F and wearing not one but three cumbersome battery collars---as below---

Hunters and people should stay with their animals---for the duration.

TRIP 128 328-L.jpg
    Yep I've had same thing happen a few times especially during bear season in NC....red necks sitting on their fat arse drinking Budweiser at the gap while the dog follows me! What does that say about my stench!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    It was a half-hearted attempt you made. You waited thirty minutes and that was it. Seriously, not enough time to get to a rural area.
    He did not talk to the owner, he left a message on voicemail.

Law enforcement issue, report them to whoever has jurisdiction over lost stray pets in that area, animal control people know how to deal with them. And I thought the topic was about people you were hiking with who you wanted to loose.....

Leonidas

The only mistake you made was telling a female about it.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I love dogs. A lot. But you did absolutely nothing wrong. In fact, you did more than you were obligated to do. Don't lose sleep over this.

I had two dogs surprise a friend and me out of the blue while hiking. They glommed onto us and as we were heading back to car we let them tag along. Brought them into town and left them with the police. You made an honest effort. But your choice how much you want to be involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I dont allow dogs to follow me.

By doing so you are likely getting them even farther lost from their owner or home.

If you allow them to follow you, I think you start to bear some responsibility for them.

All you have to do is be mean and holler at them and they wont.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    What did I do? I consulted with my hiking partner who concluded the dog was a hunting dog. it was looking a bit skinny and had a tag on its collar. We attached a rope to the dog's collar and hiked it out to the road. Before reaching our parking area, we crossed the property of a thruhiker (triple crowner). He took responsibility for calling the owner, who picked up the dog.

Sounds like three hunting dogs so possibly they would wander home eventually. You can't save every stray animal you run across. On the other hand, you had a collar and a phone number and a cell phone. It was a half-hearted attempt you made. You waited thirty minutes and that was it. Seriously, not enough time to get to a rural area. The dogs could have been miles away from home and the owner could have been working. Beagles are all nose and don't know much about cars. They catch a whiff of something and they are off. Did you want the owner to show up at the road with one of the dogs run over? You couldn't wait an extra hour because ... you were on vacation? It was an easy opportunity to practice compassion. If self-interest is the prime motivator, consider you might have been rewarded.
    The dogs are the owners responsibility not some random hiker who happens on them by chance. Don't berate this guy because he tried to be helpful but not as helpful as you deem he should have been.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I dont allow dogs to follow me.

By doing so you are likely getting them even farther lost from their owner or home.

If you allow them to follow you, I think you start to bear some responsibility for them.

All you have to do is be mean and holler at them and they wont.
    What he said ^.
    I remember this happened a lot in the deep south back in '77 when I hiked, and again in '89.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++