WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Why not now?!

  1. #1

    Default Why not now?!

    I decided a while ago I wanted to do a NOBO of the AT starting in February 2018. I have been planning for that ever since I made the decision. Now I'm looking at my situation, and it is the perfect time to attempt a thru-hike.
    My husband and I quit our jobs last year and have spent the last four months (January- May) traveling the United States. We are in our hometown now, treating our homesickness and preparing for the next leg of our trip. We have finances for another four or so months on the road.
    I had these grand plans of a NOBO hike, but now that I'm re-evaluating my current situation, I feel this could be the time, and if I pass this up for the hike I have been dreaming of, I could end up never actually going through with this. I don't even know why I chose NOBO over SOBO, it just seemed like what most people do.
    I could start a SOBO hike in August, maybe even earlier. I have the freedom, some finances, a husband with no desire to do the AT, but excited about being my Trail Angel. I can do this, with the greatest support. What is my excuse?! I guess there isn't one; I'm on my way to Maine!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2009
    Location
    Spring Lake, MI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Good luck! Keep your options open to flipping around if necessary!

  3. #3
    Registered User BuckeyeBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-18-2012
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,445
    Journal Entries
    6

    Default

    As the Nike commercial says "Just do it". Good luck to you.
    Blackheart

  4. #4
    -
    Join Date
    08-14-2005
    Location
    Fort Madison, IA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,645

    Default

    flights to NYC are always a good value - then take the train to pawling and hike north, double back to NY and go south

    starts you out with easy trail and easy resupply

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-01-2011
    Location
    Hendricks Cty, Indiana
    Age
    66
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Here is an excellent (IMO) trail journal of a husband/wife team hiking the trail this year. Good helpful info here and there.

    http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/about/21313

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    flights to NYC are always a good value - then take the train to pawling and hike north, double back to NY and go south

    starts you out with easy trail and easy resupply
    If you can get going before July, like in a couple of weeks, think about starting at the Delaware Water Gap. It is also easy to get to from NYC via a commuter bus. Much easier start then PA. You definitely want to skip the south this late in the season. If you have time and energy, do the southern most end in the fall.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-07-2017
    Location
    Spartanburg, South Carolina
    Age
    37
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Sounds exciting! Best of luck to you

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you can get going before July, like in a couple of weeks, think about starting at the Delaware Water Gap. It is also easy to get to from NYC via a commuter bus. Much easier start then PA. You definitely want to skip the south this late in the season. If you have time and energy, do the southern most end in the fall.
    I should explore some flip-flop options, we are planning to drive from Michigan, so there is a possibility

  9. #9

    Default

    Thanks, I've got time and still trying to determine the best route of attack!

  10. #10

    Default

    I will check into hiking north from NY.... my husband and I are driving east from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and as long as he doesn't mind doing some extra driving, it sounds like a good idea.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    flights to NYC are always a good value - then take the train to pawling and hike north, double back to NY and go south

    starts you out with easy trail and easy resupply
    I will check into hiking north from NY.... my husband and I are driving east from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and as long as he doesn't mind doing some extra driving, it sounds like a good idea.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-25-2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Age
    45
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Since you mention coming from Michigan (and assuming you don't plan to drive through Canada, which has it's own set of issues with border crossings), you'd have to head south.

    Doing that, the first main Interstate you come to is I-80/I-90 (they are combined at that point). They stay combined eastward to near the Cleveland (OH) area and from there you get several choices:

    1. Stay on I-80 through the rest of OH and across PA, and where it crosses from PA to NJ is the Delaware Water Gap mentioned above (and the trail crossing as well) for easy access there.

    2. Stay on I-90 through the rest of OH and it crosses a very small (about 30 mi) section of PA around Erie. From here, two thoughts:
    2a. I-86 splits off and crosses the "southern Tier" of NY state, ending (as NY 17 - they are in the process of converting 17 into 86, so you may see both signs) in the area of Harriman (and the similarly named Harriman State Park) which the AT also runs through.
    2b. I-90 continues into NY (as the NY Thruway, which has tolls) and runs across the state to Albany. From there, the Thruway heads south towards NYC, but I-90 continues East into MA and as the Mass Pike crosses the AT (you can't actually access it there, but there is an exit shortly before that that gets you onto the trail about 1/2 mi. north of the pike).

    That gives you a variability from almost 900 miles (from the NJ/PA line at the water gap to Katahdin) down to about 640 miles (from the MA intersection near the pike to Katahdin), with the NY option being in between at about 800 miles.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Since you mention coming from Michigan (and assuming you don't plan to drive through Canada, which has it's own set of issues with border crossings), you'd have to head south.

    Doing that, the first main Interstate you come to is I-80/I-90 (they are combined at that point). They stay combined eastward to near the Cleveland (OH) area and from there you get several choices:

    1. Stay on I-80 through the rest of OH and across PA, and where it crosses from PA to NJ is the Delaware Water Gap mentioned above (and the trail crossing as well) for easy access there.

    2. Stay on I-90 through the rest of OH and it crosses a very small (about 30 mi) section of PA around Erie. From here, two thoughts:
    2a. I-86 splits off and crosses the "southern Tier" of NY state, ending (as NY 17 - they are in the process of converting 17 into 86, so you may see both signs) in the area of Harriman (and the similarly named Harriman State Park) which the AT also runs through.
    2b. I-90 continues into NY (as the NY Thruway, which has tolls) and runs across the state to Albany. From there, the Thruway heads south towards NYC, but I-90 continues East into MA and as the Mass Pike crosses the AT (you can't actually access it there, but there is an exit shortly before that that gets you onto the trail about 1/2 mi. north of the pike).

    That gives you a variability from almost 900 miles (from the NJ/PA line at the water gap to Katahdin) down to about 640 miles (from the MA intersection near the pike to Katahdin), with the NY option being in between at about 800 miles.

    Thanks for listing all of these options. My husband is happy to be backed up that I shouldn't start off by summiting Katahdin then going straight into the 100-mile Wilderness, but rather easing into things a bit. We try not to plan our travel routes, but we would like to go north through Canada. We may head south through Toronto, then on to see Niagara Falls, and we could easily make my start in New York

  14. #14

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calientepocket View Post
    Thanks for listing all of these options. My husband is happy to be backed up that I shouldn't start off by summiting Katahdin then going straight into the 100-mile Wilderness, but rather easing into things a bit. We try not to plan our travel routes, but we would like to go north through Canada. We may head south through Toronto, then on to see Niagara Falls, and we could easily make my start in New York
    Katahdin is a respectable 4500' climb. True.
    But the 100 acre woods is flat flat sobo for about the first 50 miles. You do ease into things.

  15. #15
    13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Join Date
    04-09-2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,080
    Images
    1

    Default

    I was doing the GSMNP section last week and ran into a German dude, who was the support guy for his buddy. We chatted, and he said that he's driving a RV around, and his buddy is trying to finish the whole trail in 90 days or less. So he hikes in a ways and meets his buddy with snacks and drinks, and then they both stay in the RV. Seems like a pretty interesting symbiotic relationship. I've seen just about everything on the trail, but this one intrigued me. The hiker is doing a fairly fast thru, and the support guy is perfectly content driving around seeing the countryside whilst doing some day hikes.

    Just thought I'd mention all this as it could give you some ideas since you want to thru and your husband doesn't, but sounds like he's willing to follow you around.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •