WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cell coverage in GA

Getting ready to do most of the GA section in June. Does anyone know what the Verizon cell coverage is like in that area?

Interested in this for AT&T service.

Verizon has the best GA coverage by far. That does not mean coverage everywhere, but in more places than the others.

I would guess that I get Verizon voice only service for well over half the GA section, and 4G data for maybe 30%. Most gaps, with the notable exception of Dicks Creek Gap, have service of some type with Verizon.

I have hiked with AT&T users that maybe got half the service I did. But they also got service in a few places I did not.

T-Mobile and Sprint were almost worthless 2 years ago, which was the last time I can remember anyone talking about their service while I was on the trail.

I should clarify that I mean road crossings when I say gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Verizon has the best GA coverage by far. That does not mean coverage everywhere, but in more places than the others.

I would guess that I get Verizon voice only service for well over half the GA section, and 4G data for maybe 30%. Most gaps, with the notable exception of Dicks Creek Gap, have service of some type with Verizon.

I have hiked with AT&T users that maybe got half the service I did. But they also got service in a few places I did not.

T-Mobile and Sprint were almost worthless 2 years ago, which was the last time I can remember anyone talking about their service while I was on the trail.
    What he said. I ditched my ATT phone a bought a Verizon burner at the Dollar Store in Damascus.

Default Cell coverage in GA

My husband and I just did the GA portion of the AT on Sprint. We made a few phone calls to the hostels from certain mountain tops with 4G and had no service in other areas, so Sprint seems to be better, but not perfect. Many people had Verizon and seemed to like it okay.

I have just learned to make my calls from the high places on the trail, & keep my phone turned off most of the time. It is inconvenient sometimes, but I used to hike without a phone at all. Mine is AT&T. I think it's fairly good in Ga but I've heard that the further north you go, the worse it gets, & I'm hoping that as I hike north, slowly, it will improve.

Thanks all. I had heard that Verizon seemed to have better service throughout the AT than the others, but was hoping that was true for GA as well. Thanks for the help!

Journal Entries

Coverage in ga is extensive with verizon. I never did not have signal when turn on phone.

Of course that was only 4 times or so.

I've hiked all portions of the GA trail with my Verizon phones. Worst case, I'd have to hike up the nearest peak to get a signal. Most places I was able to text, usually had voice, and had 3G or even 4G data more often than I expected.

anyone know how is TMobile coverage along the GA section?

Last June, Verizon ROCKED for me from Springer to Clingman's! Many people with other carriers had no service, but NOT ME!!!!

I hiked through GA In march/ April had version coverage most of the way.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

When hiking in this area I carry a small Verizon hotspot device. My iPhone is Sprint but you can do calling over wifi from the phone and it works great for text messages and voice calls. The Verizon device also lets you buy service only during the month(s) you are in that area. It's been a great solution.

At most GA shelters I camped last April , with exception of Plumorchard, I stayed, I did get Tmobile cell coverage. But at Neels Gap, which is not a shelter per se, I got nothing, nada.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
    Getting ready to do most of the GA section in June. Does anyone know what the Verizon cell coverage is like in that area?
    I hiked the falls before Springer to Clingmans Dome last June. Verizon ROCKS!!!! Everything else SUCKS!!! My phone had exceptional service; however. everyone around me with a different provider had issues... all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I hiked the falls before Springer to Clingmans Dome last June. Verizon ROCKS!!!! Everything else SUCKS!!! My phone had exceptional service; however. everyone around me with a different provider had issues... all the time!
    So, back from my section hike, and I did in fact have some coverage with Verizon, most places. Strangely though, it seemed like the higher elevations were worse, and I got the best reception at shelters. I got great reception at Horse and Cooper Gap, and at Gooch shelter, zero at Neels. Had a great hike though and met some good folks.

++ New Posts ++