Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    ScareBear,
    You haven't looked at The North Face tent catalog this decade.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never mind. Y'all know more than you need to know.
    Later.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Never mind. Y'all know more than you need to know.
    Later.
    Wayne

Yeah, I've looked at it. Heavy stuff, still. TNF only has one tent that approaches 2 pounds, the O2. It is around 2.2 pounds and 300 bucks. Tiny tiny 5sqft vestibule. The rest of the under 4 pound part of it is all near or over 3 pounds. The closest thing that competes with the Nemo 2P is the Mica FL2, but that is a pound and half heavier than the Nemo. The rest of TNF's tent catalog reads like a chiropractor's dream...I also would never pay more than 60 percent of MSRP on a brand new TNF....just sayin...

Sorry you think I know it all. I don't. But, I can(and do) read. I also own a couple TNF "bricks" for the very reason that they are cheap and bullet-proof.

Methinks you might need to get out and hike for a few days...

Mandatory zpacks duplex reco, expensive but worth it at less than 1.5lbs, plenty of room, carries light after rain, single wall, requires trekking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

Methinks you might need to get out and hike for a few days...
    Amen Brother! I'm focused on doing exactly that.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Meesh View Post
    Been prepping (purchasing) gear for a solo, NOBO thru hike in 2018. I bought a Big Agnes 1 person tent last year, and it seemed like as soon as I did, everything I read said that 1 person tents were falling out of favor for a two person tent because it wasn't much heavier and offered much more room. So I considered a two person tent for a while.
    Fast forward to last weekend and REI's big sale...found a two person tent by The North Face that was going for a nice price and had great reviews, so I snagged it. Got it a couple days ago and my first thought when I pulled it out of the box was "Man, this feels heavy." With the bag it came with, it's about five pounds.
    So now I have the two tents as options, but the two person tent means more than 1.5 pounds of weight. I can certainly get use out of both, so I'm not bummed about having two, but what is the experience out there on this for solo hikers? The North Face tent is sweet--room for me and gear, where the Big Agnes simply didn't offer that. ...
    I'm guessing that you paid less than $200 for this tent... and that is why it is a 5 lb tent.
    There are many good quality 2 person tents that get great reviews in that price range. But they all use the same (or similar) heavy weight fabrics that help the tent perform and stand up to abuse. But to make a tent for 2 people out of that type of material, it's going to weight 5lbs.
    But if you look at tents in the $400-$500 price range, you can find a 2 person tent that only weights about 3lbs.
    Move to up to $600 tents, or move toward tarps and tarp tents, and you can find something that weights less.
    As an example, over the years, many people in this forum have recommended TarpTent. Seems like the Double Rainbow is mentioned relatively frequently. It's a "tent" that weights less than 3lbs and cost less than $300. However, unlike the Copper Spur, a tarp-tent is not free standing. For it to be properly deployed, it requires the tent be staked out, and some forms of TarpTent require trekking poles to be setup.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I'm guessing that you paid less than $200 for this tent... and that is why it is a 5 lb tent.
    But if you look at tents in the $400-$500 price range, you can find a 2 person tent that only weights about 3lbs.
    You can get a 2 person, 3 lb. tent for a lot less than $400.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I just ordered this Naturehike Cloud UP 2 tent (the gray/red version), which is a Chinese knockoff of the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (a discontinued model). ... Packed weight without the optional footprint is right around 3 lbs. ... My cost shipped from China (with a Memorial Day eBay sale) was $72.61.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    You can get a 2 person, 3 lb. tent for a lot less than $400.
    But will such a tent be something you would want to use and expect to survive a 2,000+ mile thru hike?

After all, I can get a Coghlan Tube Tent with room for 2 for less than $20.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    But will such a tent be something you would want to use and expect to survive a 2,000+ mile thru hike?
    This is the tent I'm considering for my 2018 through-hike. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't say for certain, but based on a lot of glowing YouTube reviews I'm hopeful.

have you considered a 1.5 person tent. several out there that give you lots of extra room. I have the Light Heart Solong 6. under 2lbs.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meesh View Post
    Been prepping (purchasing) gear for a solo, NOBO thru hike in 2018. I bought a Big Agnes 1 person tent last year, and it seemed like as soon as I did, everything I read said that 1 person tents were falling out of favor for a two person tent because it wasn't much heavier and offered much more room. So I considered a two person tent for a while.

Fast forward to last weekend and REI's big sale...found a two person tent by The North Face that was going for a nice price and had great reviews, so I snagged it. Got it a couple days ago and my first thought when I pulled it out of the box was "Man, this feels heavy." With the bag it came with, it's about five pounds.

So now I have the two tents as options, but the two person tent means more than 1.5 pounds of weight. I can certainly get use out of both, so I'm not bummed about having two, but what is the experience out there on this for solo hikers? The North Face tent is sweet--room for me and gear, where the Big Agnes simply didn't offer that.

I've also heard a lot about tarp options. From what I gather, you take your rain cover, the frame and the "floor" so you get rain and some wind protection. Anyone go with this option?

Lastly, I'm also curious how often you actually use your tent on the AT, when shelters are encouraged. I understand that they are first come, first served, but out of an average of 10 days, how many of those are in a shelter vs in a tent?

Cheers and thanks, Meesh
    Equipment advice is like the weather, wait a day or two and it will change. Unless you see a mate in your future, that you may want to hookup with, why buy a heavier 2 person tent? If it is for more room for equipment, look at one person tents with large vestibules. The BA tent you choose is a good one, is from a quality company with a excellent reputation. I am not a ultra lighter, but I make my own choices after much research. What ever equipment you feel will suit your needs is the best, is right piece of equipment for you to buy.

I am a hammock hanger for a long time now and I have HG Cuben Fiber tarp that weighs in at 7.3oz. I can set it up high for hammock hanging or pitch it low with my trekking poles. I found I get the best sleep with my hammock. I do own a tent, a Tarptent Notch that I use occasionally. It weights 27oz. and has two large vestibules. I also use a quilt no matter if I hammock camp or bring my tent.

I hammock camp every trip especially on the AT. I really don't want to share a shelter with a bunch of smelly, burping, farting, snoring hikers (nothing personal meant). I also don't like the idea of mice, chipmunks, raccoons, and other furry critters running over me all night. If shelters are required, I will wait and let it fill up. Then go to the set of trees I picked out earlier and I can be set up and ready for sleep in about 10-15 minutes.

So Meesh it is up to you. Don't be afraid to ask about gear, but remember it has to work for you. If you aren't happy your going to have a rough time on the trail. Take opinions, even mine, with a grain of salt. Do your own research and make an informed decision.

Happy trails to you. I might even see you next year.
    Blackheart

First I have never hiked the AT, but plan to next year. My hiking has been done in the Rocky Mountains, the Big Horn Mountains, the Black Hills, and throughout Canada. This is being clarified because different areas require different equipment. I have several tents and shelters and the expectations of the hike will dictate the shelter taken. I have an Eureka Timberline 2 person tent that is used in the winter and is my favorite commercial shelter (purchased in 1982). The rain fly is used over a hammock more often and there are times I will use the rain fly with plastic for a ground cloth. My favorite by far is the plastic that is used to protect mattresses. They are cheap (free), light weight, and you can get a variety of sizes. I usually use the double bed size and a person can create a tarp tent out of one. They are easy to roll up, do not absorb water, and easy to strap onto the outside of a backpack to dry out.

Doing a thru hike on the AT next year will include a Queen size cover (more versatility) cut on the side (common because it is easier to get the mattress out). Using my hiking poles reduces condensation and using rocks and fishing line to create stake pockets reduces the weight. I have a twin size in my survival kit hauled on all hunting and fishing trips. Long story - short, I spent a lot of money on fancy equipment only to find out I only needed the inexpensive solution.

I have used the mattress covers in snow caves, snow trenches, raging storms, and even made backpacks out of them, etc. I use to teach outdoor survival and this is the first piece of equipment discussed. By the way I use military poncho liners instead of a sleeping bag most of the time because of their light weight and versatility. I am new to the forum and spent a lot of time reading, and there are a lot of posts discussing lightweight expensive gear. Instead I look for inexpensive options. My bear canister consists of a sling shot, fishing line, and onion bag. Not one game warden has questioned my system even in areas requiring a bear canister. The best part is the onion bag is my dish scrubber, the fishing line doubles to tie my hiking sticks and stake pockets to the tent, and the sling shot is used to discourage rodents.

I am happy to be part of your community.

I use a Stratospire 1. It has a lot of room with the extra vestibule. It isn't free standing though like my copper spur 1 person is. That also has enough room for me and my stuff which are in a ULA Catalyst or an Atmos 65AG pack.
    Here's an idea. I have a MSR hubba with a gear shed. With it you can start out with a big tent but drop down to a little 1p and vice versa by "bounce boxing" the gear shed ahead of you till you decide which you want.
    Yes I'm a gear junkie.

PS my first tent was a near 5 pounder 2p from mountain hardware. It didn't kill me to carry it and yours won't either. Use what you have.
    Something will always be a little lighter and a little better till you get to ultralite status where those guys are sleeping under an oak leaf and living on dehydrated rice to save every ounce.

Watch backcountry.com or steepandcheap.com for last year's models on close-outs. Last time I was looking for abckpacking tent I found a Big Agnes Seedhouse Lite 2P for $130, weighs 2.1 lb (I replaced the stakes it came with for Ti hooks) without the footprint. I find a 1P tent too small, and like having a vestibule/porch.

I second the Tarptent. I have the Double Rainbow, 2lbs 9oz, and there is plenty of room for all my gear plus extra to move around in. Return the REI and get a Tarptent!

Return both tents and pony up any additional $$$ and get a Zpacks cuben fiber tent. They have a couple of different models that range from around 16 to 20 ounces. On a thru hike, every ounce counts and, functionally, you give up nothing. Zpacks makes some really awesome stuff!

Another consideration for single versus two person tent is the space they take up on the ground. During thru-hiker season, real estate can be quite limited at some shelters or camping spots and it may be hard to find a spot for a two person tent.

I agree with Venchka, check out Tarptent.com, LightHeartGear, Zpacks, etc... the cottage industries that you won't find at the brick and mortar stores. In the Gear Forum, in the Ultralight section, there is a list of cottage manufacturers to check out.

I initially bought a two person tent at Tarptent.com (the Squall 2 which has evolved into the MoTrail) Just over 2 lbs, but relatively small vestibule and large footprint. My next tent is the Notch. It has enough room inside for one, and two really good sized vestibules and two doors, it is mirror imaged so you don't have to figure out which way to pitch it. f
    If you don't use trekking poles, there are other options, but if you do use trekking poles, why carry tent poles, too?

I appreciate all of the comments and recommendations. It helped a lot and I hope it did for others too. What's great about being 10 months out is there is plenty of time for figuring out what'll work best for me. Thanks,

Meesh

Just thru hiked the AT. Two person fly creeks or the 2 person Big Agnes is what most have. Both are roomy. Big Agnes weighs a slight bit more, but both set up fast. And both can be set up with just the footprint and rainfly.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KasseyB View Post
    Two person fly creeks or the 2 person Big Agnes is what most have.
    ???
    Fly Creek IS a Big Agnes tent... and Big Agnes has MANY 2 person tents. So I'm not sure what tents you are referring to here.

I did a JMT Thru last year where the most common tent was the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. Also saw some Big Agness Fly Creek UL2, but not enough to say it was the second most common tent I saw on that trail.

Based on my current inventory:
    MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX: Fly + poles alone. Expensive, heavy footprint not required.
    TarpTent StratoSpire 1: Fly + poles. Expensive, heavy footprint not required.
    Both tents have 2 side vestibules and doors.
    The SS1 in fly only configuration in Wyoming. There is ample room for my pack in one vestibule and entrance and exit through the other. ~ 21-22 ounces.

Big Agnes ain't the only game in town.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++