Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I used and loved my Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 man tent on my AT hike. It fit all my gear just fine. You don't have that much gear. It's very light. It's just you anyway! And the shape of it allows you to tuck the back end into corners and bushes when there's no good open space. Keep that thing! Loose that heavy 2 person tent, get a refund, or save it for car camping. But you'll never lug it around on the AT past your first hostel stop, in my opinion.

If you are still looking, REI has the Big Agnes Fly Creek 1-man HV (high volume) version on clearance for $250 right now. You could return both of your other tents and get that. Weighs less than 2 pounds I think. And is a great tent. I prefer the non high volume because it is lower clearance but wider. For a female of average height, the additional clearance doesn't really add anything but the width at the door end is missed. The Fly Creek does set up and take down super fast and easy and is reasonably free-standing so that it can be deployed on a tent pad or used with just a few stakes. These days I'm using an REI ultralight failed foray one-man "Dash" or something with 2 doors on it that is super light but takes like 8 stakes to make it even work right (at least it seems so to me), and requires actually concentration and jiggering to assemble. My Fly Creek had developed the moldy smell after hundreds of miles followed by months in a hot closet. May just buy another one.

I had a heavier 2 person tent that weighed almost 5 pounds. I ditched it for an OR Alpine Bivy (2lbs). I’m short (5’1”) so it’s quite roomy to me. I can keep my pack in the foot end. Only downside: the mesh bug screen falls on my face when flap is open. Will try to rig it with a glued on Velcro tab to keep it taut.

If you're still looking, check out the Lunar Solo by Six Moon Designs. It's a very roomy 1-person tent that uses a single trekking pole to set up, is very light (24 ounces), easy to set up, and is pretty inexpensive. My wife is carrying it in her 2018 AT NOBO starting on March 15.

Quote Originally Posted by SwathHiker View Post
    I used and loved my Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 man tent on my AT hike. It fit all my gear just fine. You don't have that much gear. It's very light. It's just you anyway! And the shape of it allows you to tuck the back end into corners and bushes when there's no good open space. Keep that thing! Loose that heavy 2 person tent, get a refund, or save it for car camping. But you'll never lug it around on the AT past your first hostel stop, in my opinion.
    I have had the same experience with BA FC1. At times people said no room for a tent, but I had plenty. It is also smaller and easier to setup and take down than larger tents.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

If you are still looking, REI has the Big Agnes Fly Creek 1-man HV (high volume) version on clearance for $250 right now. You could return both of your other tents and get that. Weighs less than 2 pounds I think. And is a great tent. I prefer the non high volume because it is lower clearance but wider. For a female of average height, the additional clearance doesn't really add anything but the width at the door end is missed. The Fly Creek does set up and take down super fast and easy and is reasonably free-standing so that it can be deployed on a tent pad or used with just a few stakes. These days I'm using an REI ultralight failed foray one-man "Dash" or something with 2 doors on it that is super light but takes like 8 stakes to make it even work right (at least it seems so to me), and requires actually concentration and jiggering to assemble. My Fly Creek had developed the moldy smell after hundreds of miles followed by months in a hot closet. May just buy another one.
    Hi, I just purchased a BA Fly Creek HV 2 man at REI for $233, the last one, but they still have several 1 man for $209.

Hi, I just purchased a BA Fly Creek HV 2 man at REI for $233, the last one, but they still have several 1 man for $209.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++