Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite pants for the curvy?

I'm 70 pounds lighter than this time a year ago (yay) and I need wardrobe help!

I'm still a plus size. According to clothing manufacturers, my waist is one size and my hips (butt) the next size larger. I like to hike in long pants. I am not averse to some elastic to help pull in the waist.

Ladies, what are your favorite hiking pants for the curvy-bottomed gal?

bike shorts. no chafing wet or dry and quick to wash and wear. cheap too. you could probably get something in capris length.
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Images

I have an old pair of Columbia quick-dry long pants that unzip to shorts. They have an elastic waistband and thin-lined pockets. I think they still make them or something similar. I find they are the most versatile for my needs and my body.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

I am similar shaped and have found the Mountain Hardware and Arcteryx pants to be cut roomier in the hips and thighs. The columbia pants fit ok for me but the others seem roomier especially in the thighs.

I also am curvy a small waist compared to hips. Try the men's pants. They often fit this shape better.

Thanks, everybody!

Marnee, the recco for men's pants is surprising for this body type -- could you give me specifics about which work for you?

<joon surfs off to do some research>

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I typically use a skirt, with compression shorts underneath.
    I used man's pants before but they never fit me quite right

Images

Curvy equals most of us that are over 40. .
    I wear columbia or north face zip offs. Elastic waist. A size too big for layering under.
    I have friends that wear biker shorts. All that insulation is too hot and non breathing for me and I am a cyclist. That is just me.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Unfortunately I have to wear compression/bike shorts. Chafing is a nightmare for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Just my $0.02

I can't find any women sized clothes for the outdoors that actually fit me. I ended up going with a pair of men's Columbia convertible pants. Although chaffing wasn't a problem when we first started our weekend hikes, I'm now finding that it's happening ever time we go out and it is getter progressively worse. I order some bike shorts from One Stop Plus for $9 each. I'm going to wear those under my pants to try and keep from chaffing.

I'm also looking into learning how to sew. That way if I need some pants I can just whip them up and they can be tailored to my specifications so I know they'll fit.

Women's outdoor clothing sucks. They don't give us big enough pockets. They cut the clothing too much for fashion rather than function.

I have big thighs and otherwise am shaped like a tree-trunk. What I found works is to buy pants (men's or women's) a few sizes too big and then sew the waist smaller along the back seam. Then what I end up with are pants that don't fall down but still have generous legs that let me climb over fallen trees. You have to get pants that'll let you do that without too many gee-gaws or pockets in the way. The thrift store is my source.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

While we're on (or 2) of convertibles but my inseam is a whopping 26 or 27" depending on how the crotch is cut. Most pants are a minimum of 6" too long for me which means that the shorts portion of a convertible pair are more like capris on me and if the pants come with bottom drawstrings or zippers, they're a nightmare to alter.

I'm ready to start sewing from scratch but finding material up here in the wonderful land of Canada is just about as impossible as finding pants that fit....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I'm ready to start sewing from scratch but finding material up here in the wonderful land of Canada is just about as impossible as finding pants that fit....
    Have you tried Fabric.com? I don't know if they ship to the great land up north, but they do have the Rip Stop Nylon. They are somehow affiliated with Amazon (they are listed at the very bottom of their landing page). I haven't actually purchased anything from them because I don't actually know how to sew yet, but I do have the machine and when I get a free moment I plan on learning.

Images

I found a pair of pair of mtn hardware shorts that come about 2" above the knee. They are roomy in the thoghs, and have those adjustable waist alastic/button thing on the inside just like the toddler pants. I love them, but the lack of functional pockets does suck. These do have 2 normal size hand pockets, and a zip pocket that fits at least a small wallet or iphone type thing. They were $50, so a bit steep. They would be perfect if they had more cargo room.

I have been having a very hard time finding pants that fit in the thighs and butt area, and I really wanted to have a convertible pant and I finally found one that fit and wanted to share it will all of you!!!! They are the EMS Camp Cargo Zip-Off

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...77318.11302136

They even come with a little belt to keep the waist up! I fell in love with them immediately when I tried them on!!!

White Sierra Teton convertible pants. Smaller waist than hips, decent size pockets.

I have gotten heat rash / chafing wearing spandex shorts under a skirt. Body glide helps some but not entirely. Wish I had some idea of how to stop chafing entirely.

I am built the same way! and for years I didn't wear pants because they just didn't fit!! until I found the Mountain Hardware Yuma pant - I LOVE THESE!! they are cut large thru the butt and thighs AND the fabric is stretchy so its comfy and moves with me LOVE THEM. I got them as convertables too the only down side is they are heavy, but I don't care care they fit!

I have also had luck with the Columbia 4 way stretch fabirc - but it doesn't hold up to a lot of wear. it fits....but I replace them after a year of use.
    ~Christy

I am not a plus size, but I have the same issue! My waist and thighs clearly cannot agree on which size they want to fit into. I have found that men's pants are the best solution for me. You wouldn't normally think of them for outdoor gear, but I have found both short and long men's pants from Eddie Bauer that fit great. And they have nice roomy cargo pockets

Quote Originally Posted by shoe View Post
    I typically use a skirt, with compression shorts underneath.
    I used man's pants before but they never fit me quite right
    where did you get your skirt and the shorts? (thanks)

This is a 6 year old thread, Carissa. You may want to direct message 'shoe'.

-FA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++