WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My next section is Winding Stair to the NOC! Not sure of the timing yet, though.

Springer to Bland, VA has been the plan this year. However, due to my wife being called out of town near my start date and the August 21st eclipse, I do not know if I will have enough time to complete it in the remaining allotted time which is about 33 days at 18 miles a day with no zero days. (July 16-Aug 17) I'm a fairly strong hiker and have put in 20+ mile days for 4-5 days at a time but I've never done a stretch like this. I planned to catch a bus home from Wytheville, rest a couple days, drive down to Standing Indian for the eclipse, then head over and hike the Art Loeb trail since I had to cancel my trip last year.

Now I am now considering hiking the Benton Mackaye Loop so that I do not have to plan extra travel or rush my trip. I would hike the BMT northbound and the AT southbound back to Springer. I planned on hiking the Benton Mackaye trail in the next few years but haven't done enough research yet and I would have to plan it fairly quick. I've only been considering this for a couple days but it seems to make the most sense.

Two things are for certain, I'm knocking out a decent chunk of trail this year, and it is going to be dang hot.

Decisions...Decisions...

Leaving 6/13, Hudson River to Katahdin...

Passed the 250 mile mark just outside of Marion, VA this February! 2 more sections planned within the next month, then we'll see what the fall brings.

Just as exciting, perhaps, just about got my gear dialed in. Takes a while, IMO, but it has been challenging and fun to experiment and find what helps me HMOH.

Just finished a 315 mile section from Luther Hassinger bridge north of Damascus to the Pedlar River Bridge which gives me 800 miles thus far. This section included the McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Dragons tooth and the Guillotine.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mugthumper View Post
    ...and the August 21st eclipse...
    Thanks for this info...I had no clue an eclipse was happening on this day. If all goes well I'll be up on the Presidential traverse on 8/21, so if the weather cooperates this could be really cool. Looked up the details, and it won't be a full eclipse that far North, but it will be pretty close and should be awesome. Here's to crossing my fingers for good weather.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

The line of totality crosses the AT in TN and NC. In the Presidentials, you'll get a partial.

Just completed the section from Pine Grove Furnace State Park to Port Clinton, PA during the last week of May. This was my 12th straight year doing a week long section hike and have how completed from Springer Mtn. all the way to Port Clinton. Next year I plan to go from Port Clinton to High Point State Park in NJ.

In April I did Eckville Shelter to Mohican Outdoor Center. In May I did Route 7/Sheffield SB to Route 22/Native Landscapes. Last week I went from Mohican Outdoor Center to Wawayanda SP. Now over 1,400 miles. Been sectioning since 2005.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Who's knocking some sections out this year, and what sections? Anyone planning to finish this year?
    The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll finish this year, over Columbus Day weekend in October.

I have about 1,900 miles done and 300 to go. Have flights booked to do Vermont in July (Mt. Greylock, MA to Hanover, NH), then last half of Maine in September (Caratunk to Katahdin) (plan to attend Trails End Festival afterward). That's about 300 miles total.

Then for grand finale I still need to hike 20 miles from Bears Den Trail Center to ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry.

I will have hiked by every white blaze. Since 2003.

(But if anything comes up, I should finish next year for sure.)
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

That's a pretty cool grand finale, RainMan. Not sure it's better than Katahdin, but still pretty good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    That's a pretty cool grand finale, RainMan. Not sure it's better than Katahdin, but still pretty good.
    Well, I've already done Katahdin, back in '04 when I drove to Maine with Mala & Tucker and TBD to pick up my thru-hiker daughter. I figured HF is next-best?

Also much better located for friends and family who want to be there.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Began in April....Amicalola -> Deep Gap.

Trying to get through the Smokies by year's end.

I'm sectioning in order....tough living right in the heart of VA and not knocking out huge miles in my backyard...but that day will come!

Delaware Water Gap NJ to 17A in NY. I've day-hiked piece of NY since I live close.

We did Davenport Gap to Damascus, VA in 20 days with 3 zero days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Completed Thornton Gap to Harpers Ferry in early May finishing Virginia and West Virginia. I've been section hiking since 1998, but not every year . But I have hiked from Springer Mountain to H.F.
    Now I trying to decide what next.
    my wife and I did that section too. We were ahead of the bubble, met a few February starts and one Marsh start (a Serbian kid from Toronto who looked to have a ten pound base weight, hiked in a hiking dress and was doing 30 mile days).

I did Front Royal to Harper's Ferry the week-before-last. Need to wrap up the Shannies to have the southern sections complete.
    It was a mud pit. The roller coaster was challenging.
    Will be flying out to meet my son in Maine next week as he completes the AT. I might be able to do some of the 100-mile wilderness, but there is no way I can keep up with them. Otherwise I'll be supporting him and his tramily through the last 100 from the road crossings at Katahdin Ironworks, Johnson, Jo-Mary, Trio and Golden Roads.

Doing all of NJ, maybe some NY depending on how many miles I can hike each day. Lots of rain in the forecast!

I am going to hike the GSMNP as well this year! I will start at NOC and get as far as I can. I have similar concerns to you. I am wary of sleeping in shelters and have some concern about bears. It is great to see that you had a great time-inspiration for me!

Did another 5.2 mile section from Rt 27 to the summit of North Crocker. Met a group of three sobos on our descent. Nice people. We talked about the differences in attitudes between sobos and nobos. It was refreshing to see a group of hikers actually enjoying their hike.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++