WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOBO starting in October

I've done the AT, I'm not concerned about some cold once I get closer to Canada. Anyone else gonna be out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your okay until about Columbus day weekend. The weather quickly goes down hill after that. I'd go SOBO and get the hard stuff out of the way while there is still a chance of good weather. Northern Vermont sees the cold fronts and snow first as the arctic air starts to dip out of Canada. Worse is the ice which starts to form first. (I spent a couple of years living in Jay, VT, so I know from which I speak). The main issue is the short days, which get even shorter when there is a lot of cloud cover, which is often. It's hard enough to make miles on the LT and even harder with short hours of daylight. It will be an adventure.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

You just never know, but your pushing it
    Great sobo oct journal below . All jamies blogs are outstanding, they are art

http://www.downthetrail.com/hiking-t...trail-vermont/
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-05-2017 at 21:23.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ditto the suggestion to go SOBO. If you go NOBO, there's a fair chance of running into significant snow up North by end of October. Cold's not an issue, but snow & ice can be.

That is going to require a heavy pack at the end I'd wager. May need snowshoes and quite likely going to need some serious insulation. Have fun, take pics is my standard advice, but this time I'll add a suggestion to carry a few hand warmers in your pack. They can save your butt from hypothermia or just from a long cold night. Well worth the weight so long as you don't get addicted to them
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Okay okay you are all right. It was tough getting it off from work but I think I can do mid September to mid October. Still not a good idea?

It's not the biggest deal, I don't mind switching to SOBO it's just ideal. Honestly I'm considering connecting the north south trail here in RI, the midstate trail in mass to the LT. this way I can hike from home to Canada. Just buy adding an extra two weeks (ish) to the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mid Sept to Oct SOBO might be perfect. You would probably walk south with the changing foliage. The weather will be cold but manageable. You'd get the hardest and coldest part done first, hopefully before the bad weather in the north sets in. And when you got to Killington/Rt 4, then the rest of the journey would be like walking on clouds. I did a sob a while back and left the first week in Sept, about a week early. Enjoy!

Yup Mid Sept to October SOBO will be hard to beat. Still a bit cool at night but Jay Peak is its own little weather maker. It snows early and often so best to get it out of the way.

Ditto. Starting 2 weeks earlier will make a big difference. You might actually catch the "best 3 days of the fall" that way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++