WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Images

Post Vermont July 13-29, 2017

I plan to hike Vermont this summer, setting foot on the AT atop Mt. Greylock in Massachusetts (where I left off last May) on Thursday, July 13 and finishing at the Connecticut River at Hanover, NH (where I started NH about 5 years ago) on Saturday, July 29. That includes allowance for two ZERO days, perhaps one in Manchester Center and one in Rutland. That's 170.6 total miles in 15 actual hiking days, for an average of 11.4 mpd. I realize I may do more per day than that, or slower if summer heat kicks in (even bailing out early). The dates are not ideal, but they fit my and my family's 2017 calendar.

Anyone have comments or critiques or suggestions with my itinerary, town services, hostels, etc., please feel free to speak up if you'd like. Any one care to hike a day or two with me, meet for dinner, whatever, please feel free to speak up if you'd like. PM or email if you prefer. I thank you all in advance.

2017 Vermont AT Hike - TENTATIVE!!! This is flexible and not set in stone. I'd rather err on the side of conservative daily estimates and finish "early" than vice versa and finish "late."

Day 0 - Fly to Providence, RI. Shuttle to Greylock. Spend night at Bascom Lodge as per last May.

Day 1 - 7.9 miles from Mt. Greylock to Sherman Brook Campsite

Day 2 - 12.5 mi SBCS to Congdon Shelter

Day 3 - 14.4 mi Congdon to Goddard Shelter

Day 4 - 8.9 mi Goddard to Story Spring Shelter

Day 5 - 11.4 mi SSS to Stratton Pond Shelter

Day 6 - 10.7 mi SPS to VT 11 & 30 Manchester Center (Green Mtn House hostel?)

Day 7 - ZERO in Manchester Center?

==> 65.8 mi/6 days = 11 mpd average

Day 8 - 10.1 mi Manchester Center to Peru Peak Shelter

Day 9 - 14.5 mi PPS to Greenwall Shelter

Day 10 - 11.7 mi Greenwall to Cold River Road into Rutland for night?

Day 11 - 12.2 mil Cold River Road to US Hwy 4/Rutland

Day 12 - ZERO in Rutland? (or at friend's house at Killington)

==> 48.5 mi/4 days = 12.1 mpd average

Day 13 - 10.0 mi Rutland/US Hwy 4 to Stony Brook Shelter

Day 14 - 9.9 mi SBS to Wintturi Shelter

Day 15 - 12.3 mi Wintturi to Thistle Hill Shelter

Day 16 - 8.8 mi THS to Happy Hill Shelter

Day 17 - 5.3 mi HHS to VT-NH border/Connecticut River/Hanover

==> 46.3 mi/5 days = 9.3 mpd average

Day 18 - shuttle & fly home (or be tourist in Providence for a day?)

NOTE: If successful, I'll return to Caratunk, Maine (flights are booked) and finish to Katahdin during first half of September. That will finish 99% of the AT for me. The other few miles I plan to do over Columbus Day weekend in October, from Bears Den Trail Center. VA to Harpers Ferry, WV, and have my photo taken!

Thanks to Teacher for her VERY kind offer to be my shuttle & support driver!
    Last edited by Rain Man; 06-06-2017 at 17:24.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Advice from one who has fought skeeters in Massachusetts and and slogged through Vermont in July: bring good rain gear and bug spray.

And stay at Green Mountain House, if you can. You'll like it.
    http://www.greenmountainhouse.net/

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks to YOU, RM, for giving me a chance to get out there and play! This is going to be a blast!!!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Rainman, I'm just down the road from you in Tullahoma, we are leaving for Maine around the same time as you ...so if you want to do any shakedown hikes , primarily Sunday/Monday, let us know and maybe we can meet up and hike together!

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Unfortunately I think my reservations at BSP labor day weekend don't line up with your second AT section hike. If they do let me know ASAP as I am doing a Meetup event.

I don't remember the bugs as being particularly bad in VT in July except around the low lands near Stratton Mtn where the mosquitoes could be annoying around dusk. Nothing DEET wont deal with

Hi Rainman !! I hope to join you for the Southern section. Also, miles in VT go fast. Except the Killington section, that is a long slow uphill for many miles.
    Just ignore it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Hi Rain Man !! I hope to join you for the Southern section. Also, miles in VT go fast. Except the Killington section, that is a long slow uphill for many miles.
    GREAT! Am looking forward to that. Long slow uphill for many miles, eh? I just did Mt. Mitchell in NC weekend before last. Highest peak in eastern North America. Four miles of 4,000' climbing. A slog, but I knew it was coming, so was mentally prepared.

I still remember South Kinsman in NH. That one kicked my butt as I was unprepared.

See you soon.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Megapixel View Post
    Rain Man, I'm just down the road from you in Tullahoma, we are leaving for Maine around the same time as you ...so if you want to do any shakedown hikes , primarily Sunday/Monday, let us know and maybe we can meet up and hike together!
    That'd be great. I post almost all my hikes on www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker, if you want to keep an eye out. Will be posting one soon for two weekends from now. I try to do some big southern climbs before hitting the AT in the northeast. Just did Mt. Mitchell. May head back to the Smokies. Let's talk?

Tried sending you a PM, but got a notice that your inbox is too full. FYI.

Rain Man
    Last edited by Rain Man; 06-07-2017 at 22:26.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Unfortunately I think my reservations at BSP labor day weekend don't line up with your second AT section hike. If they do let me know ASAP as I am doing a Meetup event.
    I posted my Maine schedule in a separate thread on here. Pretty much, it's the first two weeks of September, Caratunk-to-Katahdin. Will try sending you my cell number in a PM. Let's chat?

Rain Man

Images

I would avoid Congdon. Wet and buggy when we passed thru 2 years ago. Wish we had stayed at Goddard, we kept going to Kidd Gore. Love Green Mountain House... perfect place for a zero. Loved Rutland... the bus system can get you back and forth to the trailheads Vt 103 and US 4. Eat at Little Harry's - great Chicken Parm. Make sure you jump off the bridge in West Hartford.

Images

Have a great hike Rainman! Great to meet you last season in CT. My wife and I are working our way north in MA over a few weekends starting tomorrow but I highly doubt we will make it to greylock before July 13 or I'd love to head into VT with ya. Anyway happy trails.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

I start my end to end nobo July 14th. I'm sure I'll run into you!

Images

Adam!!! Yes, it'd be GREAT if y'all got up to my start! Please keep me posted. I'll shoot you a text. Loved having you "do pizza" with us last summer in Salisbury!!!

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    Have a great hike Rainman! Great to meet you last season in CT. My wife and I are working our way north in MA over a few weekends starting tomorrow but I highly doubt we will make it to greylock before July 13 or I'd love to head into VT with ya. Anyway happy trails.

The climb up Killington isn't too bad, but near the top there is a very rough mile long section along the side of the ridge due to rocks and roots. Because of the ski trails, the LT doesn't go along the top of the ridge like it would normally do. The trail was also heavy damaged by Hurricane Irene in that area some years back. The damage has mostly been fixed, but there are still some rough patches.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Thanks for the info, Slo-go'en! I do have a question about the Killington Peak "Lodge" (no lodging) restaurant. It appears the "Lodge" is a very short walk/hike from the AT and therefore would be a great place to stop for a mid-day meal and rest break. Any advice yay or nay on that possibility? Thanks in advance for comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The climb up Killington isn't too bad, but near the top there is a very rough mile long section along the side of the ridge due to rocks and roots. Because of the ski trails, the LT doesn't go along the top of the ridge like it would normally do. The trail was also heavy damaged by Hurricane Irene in that area some years back. The damage has mostly been fixed, but there are still some rough patches.

I have stopped by the summit building in the past for a beer while dayhiking. A friend speaks fondly of hiking the AT through the area and staying at the old stone AT shelter just off the ridgeline. They went up to the summit to see the views and it was happy hour at the bar and I think there were free appetizers. Then again hard to hear any complaints about a place that serves cheap drinks and free appetizers to a thru hiker . (this was quite awhile ago and expect things have changed). Generally pricing will be steep as everything has to come up via the ski lifts.

I think the free shuttle bus that used to run down to Rutland from the pass is no more. The infamous hostel where you can stay forever is in Rutland (Twelve Tribes)

I far prefer the old AT route along the ridgeline to Pico Peak and the very funky, Pico Camp http://www.downthetrail.com/hiking-t...ont/pico-camp/ that is along the old route. The new route is just a PUD done at the bequest of a long gone ski developer. The old route also walks right by the Inn at the Long Trail. That's definitely the place to stop by for a meal.

The AT/LT gets lot of use in summer and expect every shelter and camp site to be busy. Goddard Shelter is a "not miss"

Once you take the right at the Maine Junction it quiets down a bit until later in the season. Make sure to appreciate the old growth woods at Gifford Woods state park as you walk through them, around the civil war most of Vermont was farmland and sheep pasture even up near the ridgelines. Somewhere east of Gifford Woods is AT shelter with a good water source surrounded by stinging nettles. That was my first encounter with them and I had shorts on.

Images

Well, I leave in a few days for Vermont. Here's my revised hike schedule. I do have a question about camping/lodging around the White River at West Hartford, VT, about halfway between Thistle Hill Shelter and Happy Hill Shelter. Any suggestions?

I am getting to slackpack about half these days, thanks to kindness of trail angels.

2017 Vermont AT Hike - REVISED #3a

Day 0/July 12th - Fly to Providence, RI, shuttle to Mt. Greylock. Spend
    night at Bascom Lodge

Day 1/13th - 6.3 miles from Mt. Greylock to Rt 2/North Adams for lunch, then another
    7.4 mi to County Road, VT, shuttle into Bennington area (Greenwood Lodge)

Day 2/14th - 11.2 mi County Road to Rt 9/Bennington, shuttle back to Greenwood Lodge

Day 3/15th - 10.1 mi Rt 9 to Goddard Shelter

Day 4/16th - 8.9 mi Goddard to Story Spring Shelter

Day 5/17th - 11.4 mi SSS to Stratton Pond Shelter

Day 6/18th - 10.7 mi SPS to VT 11 & 30 Manchester Center
    (Green Mtn House hostel?)

==> 64.8 mi/6 days = 10.8 mpd average

Day 7/19th - ZERO in Manchester Center (Green Mtn House hostel?)

Day 8/20th - 10.1 mi Manchester Center to Peru Peak Shelter

Day 9/21st - 9.7 mi PPS to Little Rock Pond Shelter

Day 10/22th - 6.3 mi LRPS to Rt 140, shuttle to a private home

Day 11/23rd - 11.7 mi Rt 140 to Upper Cold River Road, shuttle to a private home

Day 12/24th - 12.2 mi UCRR to US Hwy 4/Rutland, shuttle to a private home

==> 50.1 mi/5 days = 10.1 mpd average

Day 13/25th - ZERO at Rutland/Killington

Day 14/26th - 10.6 mi US Hwy 4 to Stony Brook Road, shuttle to a private home

Day 15/27th - 13.1 mi SBR to VT Hwy 12, shuttle to a private home

Day 16/28th - 8.5 mi VT 12 to Thistle Hill Shelter (or keep hiking to find camping spot?)

Day 17/29th - 14.1 mi THS to VT-NH border/Connecticut River/Hanover

==> 46.3 mi/4 days = 11.6 mpd average
    ==> 161.2 total miles/15 total days of hiking = 10.7 mpd avg

Day 18/30th - day in Providence, RI (or if needed, and extra day to hike to finish)

Day 19/31st - fly home to Nashville, TN
    Last edited by Rain Man; 07-08-2017 at 11:28.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmmm....it sounds like you're going to be busy!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Wait a second, Rainman, judging by your revised schedule, there is a decent chance we may cross paths on the 13th. I'll be hiking a quick trip south over the MA/VT line that day and ending in North Adams.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Wait a second, Rainman, judging by your revised schedule, there is a decent chance we may cross paths on the 13th. I'll be hiking a quick trip south over the MA/VT line that day and ending in North Adams.
    I'll try to keep an eye out for you while they're on the trail Elf, and you can look for me too as I'll be in town waiting for them. Warning though, I'm not in the red hotrod, but a grey Mazda minivan w/ RI plates. We're estimating they'll get into town around 1pm....join us for lunch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++