WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by krs2fer View Post
    All AT trails should be closed until they meet the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 guidelines. Just my two cents...................
    They should just put a railway in! Think how light your pack would be while its sitting beside you as you glide over the Appalachian Mountains on a train.

Chasing the sun,
    Turtle

That's the right idea.

Journal Entries

Maybe they want the trail blasted so it is smooth, flat and uninspiring.
    Blackheart

So all the glacier polished granite mountains and domes people see exposed in the high elevation portions of the Sierra Nevada are figments of peoples imagination? It's pretty solid except from the fracturing due to the freeze/thaw cycle which is more extreme than the Appalachians get. If it was as soft as you say, the glaciers would have carved it all away. While some mountains out west are volcanic, not all are. The High Sierra portion that the JMT/PCT follows has very little of it (with a few exceptions like Mammoth Lakes) till well north of Yosemite.

I had kind of wondered why they shimmer in the heat.

Images

Mags, I am sorry you found the trail risky. Volunteers are always welcome as well as donations, hand holds and or ladders cost money and labour. Are you willing to join a volunteer group to do what you were talking about? Also, MT Jackson is not under NH state government responsibility as it on Federal Lands. So it would be more that the US govt needs to put more money or personnel into trail maintenance (Good Luck with that) so we are back to volunteers and donations.

Mt Jackson trail has received quite a bit of work over the years. Its just has some fundamentally steep section that climb up over rocky ledges with the final ascent going up a fairly steep boulder fall transitioning to an open ledge. I haven't been on it lately in the summer but it was pretty well hardened. To make it more hiker friendly would require a pretty aggressive and extensive reconstruction that the WMNF very rarely does as they get significant pushback from the hiking public. The area is a small pocket of old growth (sadly impacted by a wind storm log ago) so making major relocations for switchback would be unacceptable in much of the hiking publics mind. Switchbacks are really not an option so its mostly going to be blasting out outcrops of granite and then cutting in steps into the ledges or putting pin steps in along with steel assists. These types of hiker aides are apparently popular elsewhere but rarely employed in the whites. The Tuckermans Ravine trail is one example of a massive reconstruction effort to armor the tread and put in switchbacks but that is mostly to accommodate snow cats. The upper section has also extensively rebuilt with rocks being split and harvested for steps making lone rough staircases of stone treads. Not something practical for much of the whites and not possible in the wilderness areas due to restrictions imposed by the WMNFs interpretation of Wilderness regs.

Maybe add moving walkways like in the airport. Right side stand, left side walk.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlaze2019 View Post
    They should just put a railway in! Think how light your pack would be while its sitting beside you as you glide over the Appalachian Mountains on a train.

Chasing the sun,
    Turtle
    Chris
    [email protected]
    978-804-1131
    Shuttle services to/from Boston Logan or Manchester, NH airports to/from all points in MA, NH, VT, and ME.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    Mags, I am sorry you found the trail risky. Volunteers are always welcome as well as donations, hand holds and or ladders cost money and labour. Are you willing to join a volunteer group to do what you were talking about? Also, MT Jackson is not under NH state government responsibility as it on Federal Lands. So it would be more that the US govt needs to put more money or personnel into trail maintenance (Good Luck with that) so we are back to volunteers and donations.
    Ah...that wasn't me. It was a link to a "letter to the editor" written by someone else..

What I did this weekend...

19227363_1875026679426741_4008509671894679552_n.jpg
    Last edited by Mags; 06-19-2017 at 11:40.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

If you guys can get all these 'improvements' done, please work on adding them to Mt Everest. Then I might consider hiking it. You know if there was a railway and a restaurant on top, that would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by TKE402 View Post
    Maybe add moving walkways like in the airport. Right side stand, left side walk.
    Now we are talking!

Chasing the sun,
    Turtle

The new feedback on her Facebook business page (an autogenerated one) and in Google reviews for her practice are hilarious.

careful what you wish for, they are always looking for shovel ready projects...and in this climate, Yikes!

I'm just glad she did not hike the Huntington Ravine Trail
    Let me go

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    If you guys can get all these 'improvements' done, please work on adding them to Mt Everest. Then I might consider hiking it. You know if there was a railway and a restaurant on top, that would be nice too.
    Everest is scheduled to have a escalator installed in 2025.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    The new feedback on her Facebook business page (an autogenerated one) and in Google reviews for her practice are hilarious.
    Can anyone stare a link?
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Images

As you wish...

at2050.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    As you wish...

at2050.jpg
    Welcome to "WestWorld"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++