WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Fosters Pot

Default Fosters Pot

I was wondering if people are still using foster pots for UL cook kits or if they have faded away. Are people switching to the imusa 10cm/12cm mugs instead?

Images

A recent search didn't find the 10cm Imusa available.

Gossamer Gear will be having more of the Foster pot kits in stock soon. There are folks out there that still want the classic Foster can with colorful graphics instead of the drab color of aluminum or titanium.The new kit will include the Starlyte burner. http://gossamergear.com/gvp-stove-system.html

gossamer kit.JPG

The GG link shows Gram kracker stove, with a total kit weight of 4.20 oz. I wonder how much a Starlyte would add? Thats a pretty neat kit ether way. But a bit pricey.

Last edited by TexasBob; 07-01-2017 at 10:09.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Both Fosters and IMUSA set ups R still around. I still see both from DIY MYOG folks. What one uses depends on the usual individual size of the meals, drinks, soups, etc being consumed. The IMUSA 10 and 12 cm mugs are around too but require a search. Those size IMUSA mugs while being dirt bag cheap certainly don't hold my 700-1000 cal 5.5-6.5 dry oz dinners. Fosters cans do a better job at holding more acceptable sized meals in I'd say general and certainly for me. FWIW, in my situation after having personally diddled with both DIY projects for others and myself after I made them special tools I didn't have(like a side opening can opener for the Fosters), added needs(like making a lid for the IMUSA's, removing the stock protruding Al handle and adding collapsible metal wire handles), adding Al and Ti foil metal wind protector sheets it was easier and financially comparative if only making one or two set ups for myself as buying a Toaks or SnowPeak pot that came as I already wanted. It was a good learning experience and DIY satisfying though. Jus my 2 cts based on my then situation.

Images

I still have some flat bottomed fosters and also some Conquistador flat bottom pots. Will try to list them this coming week.

I ran across the Imusa mugs at a Walmart near me and bought the 10cm for giggles. I have been trying it out on the gas stove in the kitchen at home to see if I could cook the rice and pasta sides in it. I have been using 1.5 to 1.75 cups of water rather than the 2 cups on the directions and the sides have cooked up properly and taste fine. There isn't a lot of head room in the mug once everything is in the mug but it is doable. I was also curious to see if they would stick and burn on the bottom of the mug but that hasn't been a problem if I stir them occasionally and simmer. I am going to make a simmer ring for my Fancee Feast stove and try that out next.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 07-03-2017 at 17:58. Reason: correction
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Latest update for the Gossamer kit that includes Foster pot with wide top:

https://www.gossamergear.com/collect...t-stove-system

This ultralight backpacking stove system was designed by Glen Van Peski (founder of Gossamer Gear) himself. It provides everything you need without anything you don't need. The concept behind an ultralight stove is to boil water in the most efficient way possible, without having to carry a heavy system. Shaving weight to keep your backpack light.

The GVP stove features an ultralight titanium caldera cone style windscreen whose design provides the most stability and fuel efficiency in any environment. When you're done, it rolls up nicely and fits into your cooking pot along with all of the other stove accessories. This allows for maximum space-saving.

An upcycled "mini keg can" was used to create the cooking pot. Aluminum material makes it extremely ultralight and conductive. The cooking pot has ridges that rest on the caldera cone, eliminating the need for a pot stand.

This stove runs on Esbit fuel tablets giving you around 12 minutes of intense heat depending on conditions. The tablet sits on 1 gram stand nicknamed the "Gram Cracker". This system also includes a floor to maximum reflectivity and heat retention.
    We now include a StarLyte Burner with lid.
    Lid fits nice and tight so fuel does not evaporate. Holds 1 ounce fuel in suspension, will not spill out if accidentally tipped over. Great safety factor.

The whole system packs away into 15 gram ultralight cuben stuff sack. It also doubles as a pot cozy for rehydrating or keeping your food warm. Now you can wrap your hands around your cooking pot while sipping on your morning coffee.

Last edited by zelph; 07-22-2017 at 09:47.

Zelph- are you no longer supplying Starlytes for Trail Designs? I was on the site the other day showing a friend some set-ups and noticed your burner is not an option any more.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Zelph- are you no longer supplying Starlytes for Trail Designs? I was on the site the other day showing a friend some set-ups and noticed your burner is not an option any more.
    My agreement with TD was to sell the Starlyte Burners with small kits only. They strayed beyond the agreement and customers were overfilling them and causing the top of burner to become separated due to fuel overflowing and flames engulfing the entire burner. I opted not to supply them any longer until such time as I could create a seamless burner. I still make them available on my website store.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyt...r-with-lid.php

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    My agreement with TD was to sell the Starlyte Burners with small kits only. They strayed beyond the agreement and customers were overfilling them and causing the top of burner to become separated due to fuel overflowing and flames engulfing the entire burner. I opted not to supply them any longer until such time as I could create a seamless burner. I still make them available on my website store.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyt...r-with-lid.php
    Thanks for the update!

My Fosters is still my go to pot. Maybe 5 years and still looking good.

++ New Posts ++