WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike Planning Help: North Carolina Deep Gap - Tellico Gap

Hello,

I am planning a section hike for 35-42(ish) miles between Deep Gap and Tellico Gap and need some assistance. I am looking for a safe location to leave a vehicle (I don't mind extending my hike to the Nantahala Outdoor Center) and hiking 35-42 miles for a 3 night/4 day hike. It doesn't appear that Deep Gap or Burningtown Gap provide much safety for leaving an unattended vehicle for 4 days and therefor I have concerns. I am looking for some suggestions and assistance with planning this hike. I am comfortable with hiking past Tellico and past Deep Gap if needed and there is no preference given to a north or south bound hike however this is the last 51 miles of the trail in NC that I have not yet hiked therefore I am focusing on completing most of this section with the time I can allocate to doing so.

Thank you for your assistance!

Jordan

Park at NOC in their Basecamp lot (up near the cabins. Free, just tell them at the office and they will give you a parking pass). Shuttle to your starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Park at NOC in their Basecamp lot (up near the cabins. Free, just tell them at the office and they will give you a parking pass). Shuttle to your starting point.
    Yep. This is what I did just a few weeks ago. NOC is super safe and a great place to end a hike.

Thanks for the suggestion - where would be a good place to get on the trail roughly 35-40 miles away from there?

Albert Mountain on a FS road, Rock Gap, Winding Stair Gap (US64) are all about that far south.

Albert Mountain would be perfect as it would be 37 miles. I tried searching for info on how to access it and I am not having any luck as most info says to get on the trail at Standing Indian Campground. Would you happen to have any further details on what forest service road intersects with Albert Mountain. Thank you for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Thank you - that did assist! I am looking forward to a great section hike due to your assistance.

Remember the most important part: Have fun!

Drive down the forest service road past Standing Indian campground to Mooney Gap. Wife took me down that way about 4 years ago in a Honda Fit.

Last time I did that section was starting and parking at the back country kiosk at Standing Indian just past campground. Up what I think was long branch trail aprox 2 miles to glassine gap go left on AT. Started in evening on day one....lil over 2 days... camp on silver bald if weather cooperates. Great fall/winter trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugg...Siler bald...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for all of the tips! I have called around for shuttle availability and it seems that the preference is to only drop hikers off at Rock Gap. I mentioned going to Albert Mountain via the forest road but was told it is very far. I will continue suggest Standing Indian Campground as I think that may be a good compromise. Happy hiking!!

Rock Gap is literally just up the street from the campground. Maybe 1-2mi. If you want to incorporate Deep Gap get them to take you to the campground or backcountry kiosk. You can hike through the campground and up Kinsey Creak about 4mi to Deep Gap then start your AT hike. Alternately, as saltysack said, you can hike from the kiosk up Long Branch to Glassmine but that would cut off Albert. If you haven't done Albert you should and preferably from the South, although it's a harder climb that way.

Default Rock Gap ?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Rock Gap is literally just up the street from the campground. Maybe 1-2mi. If you want to incorporate Deep Gap get them to take you to the campground or backcountry kiosk. You can hike through the campground and up Kinsey Creak about 4mi to Deep Gap then start your AT hike. Alternately, as saltysack said, you can hike from the kiosk up Long Branch to Glassmine but that would cut off Albert. If you haven't done Albert you should and preferably from the South, although it's a harder climb that way.
    Trying to do a section from Rock Gap to Dick's Creek over Thanksgiving. Shuttle driver is asking if the road is paved to Standing Indian Campground/Rock Gap. Since I've never been there can you let me know - this person won't drive on gravel roads and I don't want to get stuck miles away from where I plan to start.

Thanks

Deep Gap would be fine to leave a vehicle. I recently left one there for 4 nights with no issue, and there were other cars there that had been there longer.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380