WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking Around Mt. Washington

I'm looking for current, first hand knowledge around the supply of water on the AT trail between AMC Highland Center and Mt. Madison. Does one need to plan on getting water on the trail outside of the shelters or will just filling up at the shelters be good enough?

Your above tree line nearly the whole way with very limited water sources. The only reliable sources will be at the huts and the summit of Washington. You can't count of finding water anywhere else.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I do one day presidential traverses every couple of years over most of this route. If you are using the AT and starting on RT 302 south of the Highland center there is no reliable water once you cross the bridge about 1/4 mile in on Webster Cliff trail until you reach Mitzpah Spring hut. Next day there is fairly reliable water source just before you leave the trees when you heading up from the low point between Pierce and Eisenhower. Definitely treat this as the trail traverses the slope above it. There is small stagnant pond on the north side of Eisenhower, definitely filter and treat. Far better to go about 1/4 mile down the Edmonds Path to a very reliable water source on the side of Mt Eisenhower. From there to Lake of Crowds there is no water. Next day there is water on top of Mt Washington but be prepared to stand in line as the summit is very busy. From there to Madison there is one very reliable spring on the Gulfside trail a short distance before the north end of the Mt Clay loop joins the Gulfside again. The Gulfside is the AT but many take the Mt Clay loop (which is really a parallel trail) due to better views into the Great Gulf. If you take the Mt Clay loop you will miss the spring unless you backtrack. From there the next reliable water is down the Spyhnx trail about 1/4 mile. Next water coming down off the east side of Jefferson is not reliable much after mid July. There are a couple of wet areas/ marshy spots between Edmonds Col and Adams but not reliable late in the summer. From there its dry until Madison Hut. In case you keep going, Osgood Trail (the AT) from the Hut to the floor of nearly the floor of Great Gulf is dry as a bone.

My usual plan for a one day traverse north to south is go light on water from RT 2 to Madison Hut and tank up there, then head over to the spring south of the Sphinx trail on the Gulfside after the split with Clay loop. If folks need water we fill up there (and treat with aquamira). Then we either head over the summit and fill up again or take the West Side trail to skip the summit. We then tank up at Lake of the Crowds and then hike down to Crawford Notch without refilling.

I do carry electrolyte tabs and use them. Many people confuse thirst for electrolyte imbalance and therefore drink too much water which really doesn't do anything for electrolyte imbalance. I start using Nuun tabs early and find that my overall water use drops.

Good info peakbagger, plan on doing a traverse around the 4th. We planned on staying at one of the RMC camps and resupplying water there. Good to know that the Presis arent completely dry.

As a follow-up, I drank 32oz of Gatorade before we started. Then I started at Appalachia lot with 32oz in one bottle and an empty 32oz bottle. It took us 2.5 hours to get to Madison via Valley Way and Watson Path and I drank all 32 ounces. I filled up both bottles which lasted me till Washington. Waited until Lakes of the Clouds to fill up one bottle. No more water stops after LOTC.

Unless AMC has changed their water treatment regime at Lake of the Crowds I expect the typical taste of water at LOC made you really think about if you needed that last fill up! Same thing with Zealand Hut its safe but sure tastes marginal.

Peakbagger, which type of Nuun do you prefer? The Active tablets or the Performance powder?

I use the tablets, I didn't even know they made a powder version. I will need to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    As a follow-up, I drank 32oz of Gatorade before we started. Then I started at Appalachia lot with 32oz in one bottle and an empty 32oz bottle. It took us 2.5 hours to get to Madison via Valley Way and Watson Path and I drank all 32 ounces. I filled up both bottles which lasted me till Washington. Waited until Lakes of the Clouds to fill up one bottle. No more water stops after LOTC.
    A tip from the Stone Age:
    Dilute ready made Gatorade 50% with plain water. Turn your 32 oz. bottle into 64 oz. The same applies to powdered Gatorade. Use twice the water when mixing it up.
    Add True Lemon to the Gatorade.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Other tip from stone age. DIY electrolyte mix

1 liter water ............................................ 1000 gram
    1-3 tblsp =.5-1.5 oz sugar (sucrose) .... 14-43 gram ........ 1.4-4.3%
    1/4 tsp Morton Lite Salt

Many folks substitute kool aide for the sugar

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Other tip from stone age. DIY electrolyte mix

1 liter water ............................................ 1000 gram
    1-3 tblsp =.5-1.5 oz sugar (sucrose) .... 14-43 gram ........ 1.4-4.3%
    1/4 tsp Morton Lite Salt

Many folks substitute kool aide for the sugar

I don't understand the middle line.

I cut and pasted it from another posting. The sugar amount can be varied between 1 and 3 tablespoons.

++ New Posts ++