WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Looking for new smaller pack

Any suggestions on a pack for a guy that is between 25L and 30L (not interested in larger or smaller) that has large mesh outer pocket and bottle holders and hip pouches on both sides? Oh and doesn't way too much.

ZimmerBuilt. Built exactly the way you want.
    http://www.zimmerbuilt.com
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

You could add some hip belt pockets to this Superior Wilderness Designs pack (25 liter).

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    You could add some hip belt pockets to this Superior Wilderness Designs pack (25 liter).

That's a sharp looking pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I like the looks of that ^ also.
    I just bought a "Burn" and am very happy with it.
    But, if I could make a change, I would have ordered it with a larger mesh pocket in the back (like the one pictured above) and longer side pockets and also, I like the one strap closure on the pack pictured above (burn has 3 latches to undo everytime and they are quite small) (I worry about my hands which sometimes get slightly hypothermic when hiking being able to unlatch them)
    But besides that, I love the size of the "burn" and it feels great.
    One other change I would make if I ordered another one, is no hip belt.
    I rarely fasten it and don't really see a use for it except to perhaps hold a pocket for a phone or GPS or something (which I don't do)
    I might cut it off, but don't want to ruin the pack.
    You can order the "Burn" to have it built the way you like, but I hadn't seen one first to know these things.

Good luck in your decsion. It's a big one. IMO.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

yep, I like the Burn also, but it's a bit larger than requested by the OP. I don't have one but have a friend who uses it... I could definitely live with it. I have a Zpacks Zero about the same size as the Burn and I really like it. No longer available but its replacement, the Nero, is a good looking pack although I don't like the new closure system. Simple enough to change it back to standard roll top, however.

Check out the one I did a review on here, Appalachian Ultralight can customize it to be whatever you like!

Leonidas

Quiksack adventure pack 26L 8.9oz.

http://gossamergear.com/quiksak-743.html
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Looking at the current website, it seems Appalachian Ultralight (Cody Miller) has narrowed its line to the 20-liter Day Tripper and the 35- and 45-liter Thru Hiker and Reach Around packs.

Hopefully custom is still available for those who desire it.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-26-2017 at 09:39.

What is a "burn"?

Mountain Laurel Designs "Burn" backpack

Great pack but a bit larger than your spec.

Compare to Zpacks Nero

Last edited by cmoulder; 06-26-2017 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Yeah, I like the looks of that ^ also.
    I just bought a "Burn" and am very happy with it.
    But, if I could make a change, I would have ordered it with a larger mesh pocket in the back (like the one pictured above) and longer side pockets and also, I like the one strap closure on the pack pictured above (burn has 3 latches to undo everytime and they are quite small) (I worry about my hands which sometimes get slightly hypothermic when hiking being able to unlatch them)
    But besides that, I love the size of the "burn" and it feels great.
    One other change I would make if I ordered another one, is no hip belt.
    I rarely fasten it and don't really see a use for it except to perhaps hold a pocket for a phone or GPS or something (which I don't do)
    I might cut it off, but don't want to ruin the pack.
    You can order the "Burn" to have it built the way you like, but I hadn't seen one first to know these things.

Good luck in your decsion. It's a big one. IMO.
    The MLD Burn has gone through several variations that include longer/shorter rear shovel pockets, height of side pockets, top closures, and a few more things. One consequence of these changes is usable volume. I'd say the MLD Burn(s) I currently own (2) usable volume is closer to 32-35 L(without addING hipbelts) than the 38 L currently advertised. Extending the cowling to its max ht for a load makes it too top heavy IMO. At one time the Burn was offered in slightly different volumes too and still the with the current version there's some slight volume diffetences based on torso length ordered.

FWIW I too was concered about shovel pocket ht/volume but the ht my custom xl torso versions arrived with a higher ht than currently depicted on the MLD site. Ron advised me well as well as Cenazas Burn review.

I also knew with my intended load wt I didn't need/always need the hip belt which are just wings so I ordered with a removable webbing belt. That lowers my wt by an oz or so when I remove it. I still have MLD hup belt pockets for it though which I sometimes include.

For the volume and wt the pack has served me well in Dyneema X. I like the tweakability and durability. It's like it's not there provided I stay within the design parameters. Again, to help I don't see it as a 38L pack.

If on the cusp of torso size I've found out the hard way (ate one long torso custom Burn) as result of not following Rons wise recs concerning torso ht required for frame less packs.

Don't gram weenie the torso ht. Order as Ron recs!

"if in doubt, SIZE UP!"

Definitely a pack for someone who is "all-in UL"

And I think you're correct concerning the volume... just eyeballing it in person, it seems somewhat smaller than my Zero, therefore very close to OP's desired spec.

I also have a MLD Core (1700ci/28L) but did not mention it because it doesn't have side pockets or mesh panel.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a Sierra Designs Discovery 30 I like a lot for day hikes or short weekends. Not an ultralight, but It carries great and has the features you mention.
    Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Any suggestions on a pack for a guy that is between 25L and 30L (not interested in larger or smaller) that has large mesh outer pocket and bottle holders and hip pouches on both sides? Oh and doesn't way too much.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Backpkrmn View Post
    Check out the one I did a review on here, Appalachian Ultralight can customize it to be whatever you like!

Good vid w/ lots of fair minded(not overly biased) perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    "if in doubt, SIZE UP!"

Definitely a pack for someone who is "all-in UL"

And I think you're correct concerning the volume... just eyeballing it in person, it seems somewhat smaller than my Zero, therefore very close to OP's desired spec.

I also have a MLD Core (1700ci/28L) but did not mention it because it doesn't have side pockets or mesh panel.
    How do you like the Core? I haven't seen it yet. For what kinda trips do you use it?

I'll throw this into the mix. https://ulgearblog.com/2016/01/30/20...-designs-burn/

There are lighter wt carriers in this general 25-35 L volume though especially if you go to Dyneema Composite. The MLD Burn suits my UL, financial, and durability included desires though.

These are very customizable packs though SWD, MLD, GG, Zimmerbuilt, etc not mass produced so knowing what one wants carefully decided before ordering is IMO paramount or one might be getting a pack that is only rarely employed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++