WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Question about salt

Question about salt...

Yes salt is bad for you in large quantities but it can also cause a lot of problems if you don't have enough. Aren't we loosing a lot of it through sweat while we hike? I was under the impression that a higher than usual amount of salt in one's diet would be beneficial under exertion. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I'm not a thru hiker so I'm not on the trail for weeks on end, a week of salty foods won't kill me, especially since my usual day to day diet is very low in salt as I don't particularly like salty foods but am I wrong in thinking that I should supplement my hiking diet with salty foods?

Journal Entries

Salt isnt as detrimental as junk science and special interests made it out to be years ago.

If you have high blood pressure or marginal kidneys, yeah maybe you should watch the intake.

There are drink mixes which can supplement electrolytes. I use them. I dont know if it helps with electrolytes compared to food, I do know it helps me drink more, which in itself makes a difference. I suspect its hard to eat 3500 cal per day and not get enough sodium or potassium.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-25-2017 at 12:23.

Here is a recent article about new evidence that salt isn't as bad for you as it has been made out to be.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-b...ressure-2017-5

Depends on what you mean by "salt." Iodized table salt is not what I desire on hot hikes. I'm looking for a wide spectrum of electrolytes.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzz View Post
    Question about salt...

Yes salt is bad for you in large quantities but it can also cause a lot of problems if you don't have enough. Aren't we loosing a lot of it through sweat while we hike? I was under the impression that a higher than usual amount of salt in one's diet would be beneficial under exertion. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I'm not a thru hiker so I'm not on the trail for weeks on end, a week of salty foods won't kill me, especially since my usual day to day diet is very low in salt as I don't particularly like salty foods but am I wrong in thinking that I should supplement my hiking diet with salty foods?
    Yes. If your diet is pretty low sodium you should bring some saltier foods along and can mix in gatorade and other similar drinks where possible. Especially if it's mid-summer or you sweat above average

Your body will tell you what you need. Pay attention to your cravings, its your body trying to tell you something.

I don't normally salt my food much, so when I hike, I carry a tiny plastic bottle of salt. If I start to feel a bit light-headed, I just take a little, and the problem goes away immediately. If I were you, I wouldn't over-think this. Just eat what you normally do, stay well hydrated, especially in warm weather, and adjust salt intake as necessary.

Consider Morton Lite Salt which is blend of Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride in place of regular salt. Potassium is definitely a major electrolyte that most folks don't have enough of. Many folks including myself get leg cramps several hours after hiking unless they supplement potassium. I also use Nuun electrolyte tabs especially on hot days.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Consider Morton Lite Salt which is blend of Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride in place of regular salt. Potassium is definitely a major electrolyte that most folks don't have enough of. Many folks including myself get leg cramps several hours after hiking unless they supplement potassium. I also use Nuun electrolyte tabs especially on hot days.
    dried banana chips have lots of potassium.
    In fact, they are about 1/2% potassium

I stand with t"Bronk" who says your body will tell you what you need.
    Now that I'm hiking a lot here in Thailand in the tropics, I craze potato chips a lot more than before.
    I imagine it's because I sweat so much more.
    I'm heading to a dryer (and a bit cooler) climate next week to hike the Balkans so, will see if I crave them as much.
    But I would listen to your body.
    And I agree that salt is not so bad for you if you are not unhealthy.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I stand with t"Bronk" who says your body will tell you what you need. . . But I would listen to your body.
    Oh yeah. Thanks. I'm overweight, but hey, I'm craving cookies and ice-cream, so I'd better go eat some . . .
    Or, all my family and friends tell me I drink to much, but my body wants a drink, so I should listen to my cravings and ignore my concerned friends' and family's input?
    Sorry, I think saying just "listen to your body" is completely disregarding an important and valid question. I don't think nutrition is anywhere nearly as simple as just listening to your body, even if "listening to your body" in one of many tools or viewpoints to consider in nutrition decision making. Also, some of us have wiser bodies than others and some of us are better at interpreting what our body is saying, and some of us are completely retarded in this department and need some academic insight to help improve the wisdom of our cravings.

As to the OP, I think this thread and your original understanding is overall pretty much right on.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Many hours of hiking in warm weather will cause you to sweat a lot. I've recently researched the health benefits of Himalayan salt. The claim is that it has about 85 trace minerals and nutrients not found in regular table salt. Reduces muscle cramps. This could be all marketing I really don't know. I've been putting a very small sprinkle in my water bottles. I can't say that I've noticed anything positive or negative. I don't have hypertension so that small bit of salt hasn't hurt me either.

Himalayan salt and black salt are better for you than table salt.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...B5c3yBP734gn5Y
    http://www.tophealthremedies.com/6-a...awaiian-black-
    Black salt for me though takes some getting used to.

I didn't bring any salt (or any other spices) on my thru. The amount of salt in the overprocessed junk we carry (the just add water type foods) is more than enough to cover any salt loss, I'm sure.
    Also yes, I agree with listening to your body and feed the cravings. No need to put up a salty (pun intended) post nsherry. It would be extremely difficult to, but I suppose not totally impossible, to eat what they call "correct" on a 2190 mile hike through the woods without adding pounds of food to your pack. We need a lot of those fats, salts and just plain ole bad calories if you will, as you're burning a LOT more calories and exercising than normal. Most people, myslef included, don't eat correctly anyway on a day to day basis.
    - Trail name: Thumper

I have always had a diet high in salt as I like spicy, flavorful food. Yet its not uncommon while mountain biking or hiking for me to feel cramps coming on after prolonged exertion. I take something, used to be Cliff Block Electrolyte chews and while hiking recently Gatorade mixed strong and get quick relief and no actual cramps. That tells me ones body doesnt store or use stored electrolytes effectively and that means the most effective course is to boost electrolytes when your likely to be depleting them, not by taking salt etc in meals hours/days before. YMMV

I strongly suggest using electrolyte supplements while hiking in winter and summer. I use Nuun. There are several electrolytes of concern so you need more than salt. If you buy commercial backpacking food its tends to be very high salt.

Nearly every lightweight and delicious trail food bought along the AT was salty as can be. There was zero need to add any additional salts. Too many electrolytes are just as bad as too little.

I suspect you'd need a junior chemistry set to successfully balance each electrolyte. Maybe drink the occasional Gatorade, or Nuun supplement, but I wouldn't make it a daily thing, unless you're custom tailoring your diet to avoid standard trail food.

You won't have to worry about it on the trail. Everything you buy at dollar general will be full of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I strongly suggest using electrolyte supplements while hiking in winter and summer. I use Nuun.
    I had never heard of Nuun before so I went to their website. Apparently 1 tablet treats 16oz of water for approximately $0.70. Doesn't that get a bit expensive? Do you treat all your water or just occasionally?

The contradiction in information here is mind boggling.
    Take electrolyte supplements.
    Avoid electrolyte supplements.
    Food found along the trail is loaded with salt.
    What’s a Body to do?
    Nothing perhaps.
    Who knows.
    Wayne
    Carry a can of Pringles?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++