WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mt Rogers VA over 4th of July

Seeking info concerning the crowds possible in the Mt rogers area this coming holiday weekend. Was planning on taking two of my cousins on a three day loop through Mt Rogers using the AT, Mt Rogers trail and Pine Mt trail and others. They are new hikers having only done one overnight. This time I am taking them for three days.
    I just wonder if this area will be crowded at camping sites and shelters over the fourth? We will be taking tents so not dependent on using shelters, tenting is my preference.
    Any experience at this time of year would be helpful.
    Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lapcon View Post
    Seeking info concerning the crowds possible in the Mt rogers area this coming holiday weekend. Was planning on taking two of my cousins on a three day loop through Mt Rogers using the AT, Mt Rogers trail and Pine Mt trail and others. They are new hikers having only done one overnight. This time I am taking them for three days.
    I just wonder if this area will be crowded at camping sites and shelters over the fourth? We will be taking tents so not dependent on using shelters, tenting is my preference.
    Any experience at this time of year would be helpful.
    Thanks
    I haven't camped specifically over the 4th but I have been up there on other holiday weekends and it can get pretty crowded especially around Thomas Knob shelter. The good news is there are plenty of places to tent near the shelter and in other areas around Wilburn Ridge.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

I got to camp at Thomas Knob on June 3 (A Saturday) with about 100 of my new best friends. Lots of sites but lots of people, some too lazy to walk to the privy to do their business. Watch where you walk around tent sites.

Journal Entries

Been crowded every time I been there.
    And I never been on holiday.
    Last time, mid nov, 17f overnight, 30s in day, packed

Lots of room....but lots people too. At least 50 within 1/4 mile of T. Knob shelter.

Thank you for your responses. You have confirmed what I feared. Really wanted to take my new to backpacking friends to this beautiful area. May just have to take another section of trail. Watauga lake to Damascus? Good hiking all over this area. Thanks again.

++ New Posts ++