WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    True or not I've never understood the appeal of the ursack....if a bear can't rip it up he'll obviously destroy its contents upon trying....a canister has the integrity to actually protect its contents..with all this said I'll be hitting the CT next week with the old beat up zpacks food bag lined with an odor barrier bag...if trees available to hang I will if not it's in the shelter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, the hiker ends up with a crushed bag of bear drool embedded food. The bear still gets a taste and is taught that ursacks and humans equal tasty stuff. I guess it's kind of a fun thing from a materials science point of view on indestructible cloth technology, but it sure seems pointless to me.

I guess it's useful against raccoons and other small vermin, who I assume wouldn't be able to crush your food into drooly pulp. Maybe they should have named it the Raccsack?

I use an URSack but I don't tie it to a tree. I hang it like a bear bag. Judging by the picks of the busted bear canister, the URSack is likely about as reliable. Being more porous, however, it might give the bear a taste he wants to attempt again, dunno. Either way, I'll still use it. For me it lies between a silnylon bear back and a full-on canister.

Please enlighten me, where is Maroon Dells?

I'm just a simple hiker and I am only familiar with Maroon Bells.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Please enlighten me, where is Maroon Dells?
    I'm just a simple hiker and I am only familiar with Maroon Bells.
    My bad. "Bells." Edited.

I seriously always thought it was "Dells." Like Wisconsin Dells.

Understandable. Four Pass Loop (and da Bells..., and Conundrum, and basically the Aspen area) has been on my bucket list for a while now. So many places to go in CO. Recently I've been sucked into the vortex of the Flat Tops and the Collegiates.

(I know I've strayed far from the OP. forgive me for those who came here for the Ursack OP, but I already gave my opinion of the OP earlier.)
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Understandable. Four Pass Loop (and da Bells..., and Conundrum, and basically the Aspen area) has been on my bucket list for a while now. So many places to go in CO. Recently I've been sucked into the vortex of the Flat Tops and the Collegiates.
    (I know I've strayed far from the OP. forgive me for those who came here for the Ursack OP, but I already gave my opinion of the OP earlier.)
    Me too. I've never been to Aspen but have been around other parts of CO. I had hoped to start at least the first few sections of the CT this summer but not sure now if I'll get there.

The Maroon Bells blew my mind last year, highly recommend. More crowded than most of the CT in my experience, but worth it. It's a beautiful world. Why the hell do I still live in Chicago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++