WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Journal Entries

Default Bear rips ursack on CT section 5

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-26-2017 at 09:47.

Damn bear isn't going to slow me down.....snow levels on other hand I'm a lil weary!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm highly suspicious of this report!

In no way do I claim it false, but I'm highly suspicious. First, I will say I own an Ursack and I trust it. Many times when we own something and we trust it we are very defensive. So, I have a vested interest (a fault) in believing that it works. That being said, I and going to go out on a limb and say, "it is my belief that there is more to this story than we are getting from the person who is making this claim."

The claim is that a big hole was torn into the kevlar material. NOT, that the stiching was ripped or some other event like it was not cinched and tied off correctly. My first and only response is....where is the photo! The author claims others were around. Somebody must have take an photo. And when the author gets home to post he still doesn't produce a photo?

I have suspicions, with a few different scenarios, that fit the authors events that would produce the particular results the author claims but do not include a failure of the bag. Let us see a photo!

This bag has been tried and tested many times over. I hope the author's claim is accurate... for his legal sake.

*just as a note: I have no affiliation with Ursack and have never had one except as the sole owner and purchaser of said Ursack.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

A little surprised about the location. I hadn't heard of, and was under the impression that there were very few,
    bear incidents along the route. Though I know Maroon *Bells has had issues, not on the route of course, but it gets a lot of traffic I'd guess and would probably present more opportunities for bears.
    Last edited by Uncle Joe; 06-27-2017 at 21:44.

That was quite a cloudy response UJ. Not sure I get any of it, maybe it's just the GA in you or maybe its the moon that shines over the hills in GA. (for anybody not from GA, that's not an insult it's a compliment!) :O

Not sure how you tie in Maroon Dells ('Maroon Bells,' perhaps?) and Konosha Pass. Bears are EVERYWHERE in Colorado. Most towns in CO have bear residents that are referred to by name and honorary barstools at the local watering hole. I will say the bears are quite friendly in CO, not really out to eat the residents...just their brownies.

On a more serious note, every minute I think of this story I find more and more issues with the account.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    A little surprised about the location. I hadn't heard of, and was under the impression that there were very few,
    bear incidents along the route.
    Few, yes
    Zero, no
    Ctf website:
    " To date, we have not received any reports of aggressive bears or bear-related injuries/attacks, but have received reports of bears eating hikers' food. It is best to take proper precautions with your food. One option is to hang your food using scent-proof bags or canisters.

True or not I've never understood the appeal of the ursack....if a bear can't rip it up he'll obviously destroy its contents upon trying....a canister has the integrity to actually protect its contents..with all this said I'll be hitting the CT next week with the old beat up zpacks food bag lined with an odor barrier bag...if trees available to hang I will if not it's in the shelter....

Journal Entries

Im not going to bash the ursack.
    But when it was igbc tested
    They did not tie it to tree
    The necessary method of deployment

Why?

Inquiring minds want to know

Actually, inquiring minds think they know the answer
    Doing so allows bear more leverage

But this not to discuss merits of ursack
    Rather that conditioned bear inhabits section 5, so take extra precaution there with food. Or dont. Up to you.

My facebook feed shows CT closure in sect. 27 too due to a fire
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-27-2017 at 08:32.

: 0

The first question that comes to my mind is which ursack was involved in this incident? There are different models of ursacks and the lighter ones are rodent proof, NOT bear proof. If the author is aware of the different models, why is that not clarified. If he is not, that is an important variable to be addressed before claiming ursack failure.

Second, I question the author's understanding of his bear-proofing gear since there is no such thing as odor proof when it comes to food bagging in the back country. "Odor proof" bags most likely reduce the amount of odor that escapes ones food storage, but will never eliminate it. So, unless there is a significant hole in it, somehow thinking that a "failure" of the odor-proof liner in his food bag might be a significant contributing factor is unlikely to be the case.

I am interested in the outcome of this experience however, given the potential usefulness of ursacks as long as failure is exceedingly rare.
    And, FWIW, I'm not aware of any bear canisters that have a zero failure rate either. Barricades are regularly opened by at least one group of bears in the Adirondacks. There was a sow grizzly in Denali National Park that figured out how to open the Garcia canisters in the late 80's by sitting on them which deformed them enough for the lid to pop off.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Saltysack I'll be doing the same as you. I bought a Ursack for my CT thru hike because the possibility of no trees to hang from. Didn't like the Ursack it because it is tall and narrow unlike the Zlacks food bag. I For me I had an easier time packing the Zpacks bag and getting out the food I wanted. I also like how the Zpacks bag is water proof. If it's wet just a quick wipe with my pack towel to dry it before it goes inside the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Let us see a photo!
    Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    The first question that comes to my mind is which ursack was involved in this incident?
    If you read through the comments on his Facebook post you will see that he posted a picture, and he specified which model Ursack he was using. (the one for bears).
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 06-27-2017 at 10:14.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    If you read through the comments on his Facebook post you will see that he posted a picture, and he specified which model Ursack he was using. (the one for bears).
    Well then, quite obviously, I didn't read through the several pages of comments, I just read the initial statement from the author.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Link to pic

Not a seam

And would seem having the top secured to tree allowed persistent bear to eventually shred bottom

It looks like its been pulled lengthwise with high force to me, by the longitudinal ridges that formed.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...ce=47&__tn__=R
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-27-2017 at 10:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles 2 Go View Post
    Saltysack I'll be doing the same as you. I bought a Ursack for my CT thru hike because the possibility of no trees to hang from. Didn't like the Ursack it because it is tall and narrow unlike the Zlacks food bag. I For me I had an easier time packing the Zpacks bag and getting out the food I wanted. I also like how the Zpacks bag is water proof. If it's wet just a quick wipe with my pack towel to dry it before it goes inside the pack.
    Don't count on it being water proof...mine is several years old and has several holes...I repaired w seamgrip but still line w odor barrier bag. The cuben bags/ pack liners aren't as waterproof as many believe....cuben wears and chafes easily when rubs inside a pack...just my $.02...

So far it has been good at keeping the rain out. That being said I bought two bags so the one I'll be taking is pretty much new, the older one will stay at home. I also carry cuben repair tape that does a great job of fixing holes and tears on cuben. I too use an odor barrier bag inside so if I'd get a hole and not know it my food should stay dry.

Anyways I am so jacked up with only five days till I hit the trail. Hope we cross paths out on the trail but if we don't have a safe and exciting thru hike salty.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles 2 Go View Post
    So far it has been good at keeping the rain out. That being said I bought two bags so the one I'll be taking is pretty much new, the older one will stay at home. I also carry cuben repair tape that does a great job of fixing holes and tears on cuben. I too use an odor barrier bag inside so if I'd get a hole and not know it my food should stay dry.

Anyways I am so jacked up with only five days till I hit the trail. Hope we cross paths out on the trail but if we don't have a safe and exciting thru hike salty.
    I'm planning to Uber from my hotel near Englewood to IC eary morning on July 3. Hoping to make it to just short of the fire station day one about 18-21 miles...I'll be the one bring towed up hill by the 20 lb jack Russell...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post

Hmmm

He listened to bear do it....

A premise about all bear resistant containers
    Is they are resistant, so that a bear loses interest quick
    You still need to scare bear off

Given enough time, a determined, or previously rewarded bear can likely get into one

Th IGBC only tests 1 hr of bear play for instance, not all night. And not a lifetime of use and wear

That can was igbc passed, and was eaten by a lil ole black bear......
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-27-2017 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    That was quite a cloudy response UJ. Not sure I get any of it, maybe it's just the GA in you or maybe its the moon that shines over the hills in GA. (for anybody not from GA, that's not an insult it's a compliment!) :O
    Not sure how you tie in Maroon Dells ('Maroon Bells,' perhaps?) and Konosha Pass. Bears are EVERYWHERE in Colorado. Most towns in CO have bear residents that are referred to by name and honorary barstools at the local watering hole. I will say the bears are quite friendly in CO, not really out to eat the residents...just their brownies.
    On a more serious note, every minute I think of this story I find more and more issues with the account.
    No my point was Maroon *Bells likely gets more traffic, more people etc. More opportunities for bad behavior by people begetting bad behavior by bears. Where as the CT is less a singular destination. Pure conjecture but not without some reasoning. Perhaps reasoning that only makes sense to me, though.
    Last edited by Uncle Joe; 06-27-2017 at 21:44.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++