WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My pediatrist uses a machine that produces sound waves for plantar fasciitis. About 6 treatments. Worked 100% for me and others I've spoken to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

PF killed my thru-hike attempt in 1999 and my second long-distance hike in 2005. I managed to eke out 611 miles in 1999 and 300 in 2005, but the end-result was the same - lots of pain and limping. In '05 I made the attempt with much-improved footwear, custom inserts and a super light pack. I guess being 5 years older didn't help!

I have very flat feet, combined with some wicked bad pronation. I've come to terms with my poor ole dogs and figure I can go out and do two or three weeks at a time once I have the time to get back out there. Unfortunately, I'm pushing 60 now and won't get much (if any) AT time in before I turn 65.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by Brisket View Post
    My pediatrist uses a machine that produces sound waves for plantar fasciitis. About 6 treatments. Worked 100% for me and others I've spoken to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What was the recovery time after treatments?

[QUOTE=jgillam;2157566]I too have suffered from PF a few times in my life and understand the misery it brings.

During this time, a friend of mine who owns a sports store and has decades of experience in fitting athletes at Purdue University, gave me the most helpful information

After a few weeks of the pain coming and going, I broke down and purchased Salomon XA Pro 3D's with a rock plate. These shoes are much stiffer and pretty much ended my sufferings.

Hi, what do you mean by a "rock plate"? I looked up these shoes and didn't see that term in discription. Is this an after market specialty insole or does this refer to a shoe with a stiff sole? I don't have plantar fasciitis but do have midfoot arthritis due to a previous fracture and fusion. I do better with a shoe that doesn't flex a lot.

Thanks
    ps- my trail name is "hop a long" for this reason.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I have had it a few times. Unfortunately, the only remedy I have found is rest. It will heal itself but you must give it time.
    This was my experience, 2010-2011. I hiked just about every weekend from spring 2010 on, living with the PF as part of it. Laid off for a month or two Jan-Feb '11, and it went away and hasn't returned. I worked out at the gym in that time off, elliptical and swimming, fwiw.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

VA DR. and he did give me stretches to do, just looking for information. (That means Veterans Affairs) I'm starting to get worried because i've done everything he has said and it is still painful when i jog. I am looking for alternatives, I was told to stay off of all exercise except his stretches for a month and I did. I also went to the running shoe store and got Brooks and inserts. It just is what it is and i'm looking for help other ideas.

Calf stretches - I couldn't wear the boot thing to bed, but around the house if you're sitting for an hour here or there - it definitely helped. No arch pain at all on my PCT jaunt this year.

Two words. Yo ga.

I had it too, really sucked especially in the morning getting outa bed. I started mountain biking and within a couple of weeks it completely went away haven't had a problem in 3 years now. I ride once a week for 8-10 miles.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    He said that people with PF need stiff shoes
    At least, supportive ones. Nobody appears to make a shoe with an insole that's worth a tinker's dam, so I get lightweight trail runners that fit my feet (New Balance 610 seem to be good at the moment), throw out the factory insoles and replace them with green Superfeet. I wear prescription orthoses in my everyday shoes, but a lot of my hiking seems to involve wading in beaver water - especially this year, which seems to have been a banner year for the beavers - and I don't want to subject the expensive orthoses to that. If the Superfeet get too stinky for me to tolerate, or if the foam padding starts to deteriorate, I can shell out the $50 or so to replace them without shedding too many tears.

My podiatrist is cool with that. He says that you wouldn't believe the junk that some of his patients put in their shoes, but that my stuff is not junk. If I wear the prescription ones most of the time and have at least some support the rest of the time, that's a lot better than wearing factory-made shoes.

At the start of the bout with my left foot, the doc gave it a cortisone shot, and was having me take ibuprofen by the clock for a few weeks whether it was hurting or not, to keep the inflammation knocked down and let things heal. It surely worked faster than the self care I'd been doing for the right foot.

Oh, yeah, taping it also kept acute symptoms at bay.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    ... I couldn't wear the boot thing to bed....
    Try the Strassburg sock if the night splint is too uncomfortable. It's not quite as effective but it's a lot easier to wear.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carissa View Post
    VA DR. and he did give me stretches to do, just looking for information. (That means Veterans Affairs) I'm starting to get worried because i've done everything he has said and it is still painful when i jog. I am looking for alternatives, I was told to stay off of all exercise except his stretches for a month and I did. I also went to the running shoe store and got Brooks and inserts. It just is what it is and i'm looking for help other ideas.
    Tincture of time. It took me about a year for my right foot and about three months for my left. It's tough for an athlete. Everyone wants to go back to training as soon as possible, but Mother Nature sometimes has other plans.

10 years afo I worked in retail on my feet all day and wore shoes with no arch support and suffered a bout w Pf. I tried the tennis ball on the foot thing, stretching, and was beginning to look at those night sock things. Pulled the plug, and visited a podiatrist who gave me a shot, not sure what it was, and told me to ditch the rocket dog moccasins I was wearing everyday. Since then I have been for the most part pain free. I hike and run regularly and don't have any issues any longer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++