WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Snow Pack Concerns - 26 July

All,

My apologies if this is too basic a question. We have already looked at the current snow pack situation on the southern part of the trail, 180% of normal. We have a 26 July start from Horseshoe Meadows going NOBO.
    We will be monitoring the snow pack. So now the question: How likely is it that the trails will be passable (we know they won't be snow free)? We have to mail our first re-supply buckets today or tomorrow. I do have
    travel insurance so I won't lose all my investment but would like to avoid flying there and having to fly back home.

Your recommendations would be appreciated. I have hiked snow fields in Colorado in early summer and winter. The concerns include avalanches and post holing.

Hikerj53

From the PCT Hikers I've been following there will be snow.

It seems the river crossings are of most significant interest to most thru hikers this year.

Quite a few had made it thru and quite a few have skipped the Sierras this year.

I thru hiked the JMT in 2016 and wished I had micro spikes.

If I was going this year I would bring crampons and an ice axe at TM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Travel insurance covers chickening out due to snow?

By end of july snow shouldnt be much of issue. Trails will be bootpacked. Water crossings still might so plan morning crossings.
    4 weeks can melt 8-10' of snow.
    You follow jmt facebook page?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-30-2017 at 11:11.

Default Thank You

Thank you both for the quick responses, very useful information. Will certainly bring micro spikes. Will of course continue to monitor the snow pack. Good recommendation on early morning river/stream crossings (when possible, you cannot always schedule these.)

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    From the PCT Hikers I've been following there will be snow.

It seems the river crossings are of most significant interest to most thru hikers this year.

Quite a few had made it thru and quite a few have skipped the Sierras this year.

I thru hiked the JMT in 2016 and wished I had micro spikes.

If I was going this year I would bring crampons and an ice axe at TM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerj53 View Post
    All,

My apologies if this is too basic a question. We have already looked at the current snow pack situation on the southern part of the trail, 180% of normal. We have a 26 July start from Horseshoe Meadows going NOBO.
    We will be monitoring the snow pack. So now the question: How likely is it that the trails will be passable (we know they won't be snow free)? We have to mail our first re-supply buckets today or tomorrow. I do have
    travel insurance so I won't lose all my investment but would like to avoid flying there and having to fly back home.

Your recommendations would be appreciated. I have hiked snow fields in Colorado in early summer and winter. The concerns include avalanches and post holing.

Hikerj53
    https://youtu.be/UG6_vJ_Nk1s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last weekend we went over Sawmill Pass. Snow started at 9000' feet. Very consolidated. Lakes above 10,000 were iced over but clearing fast. By July 26 there won't be any issues with snow except at the tops of high passes which will be easy enough to deal with.

Images

You will be fine leaving in late July. Do not let the hype deter you. While there was massive amounts of snow it actually melted off a fair amount in late May. The amount of snow up there right now is not atypical of other average or above average snow years. But the hype is ten feet deep.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

+1 Go. Enjoy your planned for hike.

Would make last minute check up on resupply bucket availability at, I assume, MTR.

Thank you all for the updates and recommendations. Have my micro-spikes and water shoes. The pack is about 10 pounds heavier than even my heaviest AT re-supply day but our
    first leg will be 10 days.

++ New Posts ++