Thread: Newbie from NZ

Default Newbie from NZ

Hi everyone. I am considering doing the AT in 2019. I am a Kiwi, so I will be travelling to the States as well as doing the trail. I am planning on doing a few multi day hikes here in NZ before doing the AT, so I will have a lot of the main gear already (pack, tent etc), but I am wondering if it would be cheaper and easier to buy other things, such as cooking equipment, clothing etc in the States.
    Has anyone travelled from overseas before doing the trail? Or has any suggestions about where to get good gear before the trail?

Oh, and any 'local' hints and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lots of people from overseas come to hike the AT (for some reason). Your main problem will be getting a visa. A six month visa is the one to shoot for, Good luck!

You'd have to do some in depth price comparisons between what you can get local to NZ to what is available at major retailers like REI or EMS here in the states to find out which is less expensive. Having to buy gear at the last minute when you get to the trail will hardly be easier and since you might make poor choices, it could get more expensive when you need to change out bits.

But man, what I wouldn't give to go to New Zealand to hike. I know several people local to me who worked in Antarctica and passed through NZ coming and going. Seeing their pictures and stories of NZ are amazing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would only say your main things Shoes, Pack, clothes, tent & bedding should be brought from home.
    Other things you can research and get in the US.
    But it will be a time fit to get to a place to pick them up or be mailed to your starting point.
    Food is easy.

++ New Posts ++