WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default EIGHT BEARS in one afternoon!

Yesterday afternoon we were in a group of six adults who hiked from Cades Cove (in the Smokies) to Abrams Falls. After the hike while driving out on the loop road, we saw a mother with three cute cuddly cubs, and another mother with two cute cuddly cubs. It's common to see deer from the loop road, much less common to see bear. Seeing seven bears was remarkable and quite a treat!

But this story is about the first bear we saw - on the trail. Had this been a full-grown adult, it would have been scarier. The bear was unafraid, apparently used to being fed when he/she was a cute cuddly cub. Below is the account and photo from my friend Kent's FB post.

I think I had the time of my life! A few of our church members went on a hike on Abrams Creek in the Cove. We got to the falls through some light rain without incident. On the way back I was ahead of my group and ended in the back of another group that was not moving. When I reached them they said there was a bear on the trail. We were at the apex of the ridge where it is narrow. Suddenly they start backing up around me and I quickly found myself up front facing the bear! I did not want to turn my back on him and I lowered my brightly colored umbrella down between him and me. He came as close as 12-15 feet of me. He was working that nose overtime and I was hoping one of those hikers did not have open food in their pack. I began yelling at him and shaking my umbrella and he backed off a little but was very stubborn and would not get off the trail. I kept hoping he would not test the integrity of an umbrella! Illabelle from my group joined me and then Mark and David. We were yelling and they were picking up stones to throw at the bear. David hit the bear in the paw with a good lick and he backed away more. I kept the umbrella down and Mark, David and Illabelle began coaxing the hikers to go by behind me. After we got them passed to safety they kept throwing stones and yelling. The bear never ran away. Which any normal bear would and should do. So we thought the bear was way too bold and stubborn and felt there was something wrong with it. I backed down the trail still holding the umbrella down. As we vacated "his" area I watched him come back onto the trail smelling our fresh passing!
    I keep thinking of how we began the hike with a prayer for safety and how glad I am that no one made the bear angry!
    I surprised myself. When we arrived at the scene, I was near the back of the group (probably numbering about 15 or so). As soon as I heard someone say "bear" I made my way to the front to see what was going on and what needed to be done. On my way, I was thinking, who do I think I am? why do I think I should be up front? I have no bear training, little bear experience, and most of my bear knowledge is gleaned from the WB community. Yet I found myself within seconds beside Kent (and joined by Mark and David) throwing rocks, yelling at the bear, driving it back from the trail, ordering the crowd to move to the other side of the ridge, behaving as if I/we had some sort of authority. Ha! Just as surprising, people stopped their retreat and complied with our instructions. After the crowd passed the bear, we backed away and left him alone. Later a couple of the people from the other group(s) expressed their appreciation for us being unafraid to take action, and knowing what action to take.

This was my first experience with an on-trail bear that couldn't be run off. Had he been bigger and hungrier, had we not been in a large group, we might have had a more exciting tale. I think the big lesson for me was that as little as I know, most dayhikers know much much less, and gratefully yield to those prepared to take leadership. So thank you, WhiteBlaze friends, for the education you've provided over the years!

A fed bear is a dead bear. More than likely, this bear will become a "problem bear" and be "removed". In GSMNP, unfortunately, this happens far more than it should.

How was vehicle traffic heading up to Cade's cove? I've been riding my bike up there from coulter's bridge and Townsend outskirts and haven't found a day/time with minimal traffic. I've tried 6am on Wednesday (bike-only day around the loop) and traffic was terrible...as well as other times during the week.

Last year, i saw a mama and cubs in trees on the last big hill before hitting Cade's cove. I was cycling very slow and hoped she wasn't hungry.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    How was vehicle traffic heading up to Cade's cove? I've been riding my bike up there from coulter's bridge and Townsend outskirts and haven't found a day/time with minimal traffic. I've tried 6am on Wednesday (bike-only day around the loop) and traffic was terrible...as well as other times during the week.
    Last year, i saw a mama and cubs in trees on the last big hill before hitting Cade's cove. I was cycling very slow and hoped she wasn't hungry.
    Traffic was not bad at all, because the forecast was for scattered thunderstorms. We went through some heavy rain heading down from Knoxville. Then somewhere in Maryville or Townsend suddenly the roads were dry and the sky was partly cloudy. It was late when we got to the trailhead, probably 4:15, so most of the dayhike crowd had already come and gone. Not many bikes on the road either. I really think weather was the bigger factor, but time of day might have been a significant part of it.

I don't very often hike alone (willing to, it just doesn't happen much), and I've never met a bear alone. I'm only brave when other people are there!
    Last edited by illabelle; 07-02-2017 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Traffic was not bad at all, because the forecast was for scattered thunderstorms. We went through some heavy rain heading down from Knoxville. Then somewhere in Maryville or Townsend suddenly the roads were dry and the sky was partly cloudy. It was late when we got to the trailhead, probably 4:15, so most of the dayhike crowd had already come and gone. Not many bikes on the road either. I really think weather was the bigger factor, but time of day might have been a significant part of it.

I don't very often hike alone (willing to, it just doesn't happen much), and I've never met a bear alone. I'm only brave when other people are there!
    Late afternoon sounds like a good idea, I will try it.

Garlic
    Images

That sounds a little like the day I had in SNP. I saw a sow with triplets in the morning, and thought, wow, I'll never see that again. In the afternoon, I saw another sow with triplets! And another solitary bear in between. Total nine! Sorry, I don't mean to one-up you on your thread, but I guess I literally did.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    That sounds a little like the day I had in SNP. I saw a sow with triplets in the morning, and thought, wow, I'll never see that again. In the afternoon, I saw another sow with triplets! And another solitary bear in between. Total nine! Sorry, I don't mean to one-up you on your thread, but I guess I literally did.
    Considering that seven of our bears were seen from a vehicle, your nine on-trail bear sighting easily beats our single bear.

Although our experience was a little exciting, it makes me sad knowing that this bear is likely to be eliminated one day. Ain't his fault if he gets big and scary. He's just doing what bears do. While he's young he should practice acting like a dog, maybe learn how to wag his tail and bark in a friendly way.

Images

One of the bears from the Abrams falls area was relocated yesterday...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    One of the bears from the Abrams falls area was relocated yesterday...
    I sure hope it works. Hate to see a bear put down.

++ New Posts ++