WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by tipcar View Post
    I watched people hiking on YouTube in June in Maine and they all seem to be doing okay with it. you just have to want to do it. I myself will make it through the black flies. It wont be my first time hiking with them.
    Just focus on getting out of Georgia first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tipcar View Post
    I will be starting my thru hike in mid February 2018 between the 18th and 25th. I am pretty much able to leave whenever. I would like to find others to hike along with as I have never done winter hiking. I am a pretty skilled hiker and was born and raised in the East TN and western NC mountains. I have hiked 260 miles in the Smoky Mountains in the past month and I have hiked 14'rs in Colorado. My goal is to reach the end on July 8th to celebrate my 50th birthday. I am trying to pack light and my entire weight will be around 22 lbs. Which I think will be a good weight and as time goes by I can send things back home. I look forward to meeting others out on the trail.

Follow me on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/noroadsigns/

trail name (Forrest)
    Practicing in the mountains of TN & NC right NOW! would be the best practice for starting the AT in February, 2018.
    Good Luck!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thumbs up I had a few meals with a guy named Wayne, even shared a room at Fontana with him lol

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Practicing in the mountains of TN & NC right NOW! would be the best practice for starting the AT in February, 2018.
    Good Luck!
    Wayne
    Wayne? As in Wayne's World From Texas? Happy New Year my hiking companion!!! ]

-Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by KhP101 View Post
    Wayne? As in Wayne's World From Texas? Happy New Year my hiking companion!!! ]

-Turtle
    Alas. It wasn’t me. I was in Boone briefly after Thanksgiving.
    I spent several nights in my backyard recently.
    Wayne

Yes, I am planning on a solo section hike from Winding Stair Gap, NC to Damascus, starting Feb 20, 2018. I am a bit concerned that this start date is probably 2 or 3 weeks early. Confession: I have day hiked in the winter, but I have no winter backpacking experience. I've had several nights below zero on trips, and I've hiked on snow and in icy conditions, but not for extended periods of time. I was planning on bringing micro spikes, but not snowshoes. I do not have a 4 season tent. Finally, I've been hiking this winter in mid-height waterproof Keen boots, but was planning on light Solomon trail runners for my February start. My guess is the start date, my lack of winter experience and some gear ideas might raise some eyebrows! Any practical thoughts or advice on timing, gear and anything else for this section hike would be appreciated. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++