WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What kind of alky stove?

If you're using a stove with a reservoir in the center, such as Fancee Feest or 12-10, it is easy to light with a ferrocerium rod (aka firesteel) even with wet, cold, fumbly hands. However, I would concur that an alcohol stove is not ideal for those conditions. But in a pinch....
    I use an eCHS. I'm ignorant in the use of a firesteel but it's on my list of things to learn.

Firesteel will work great with eCHS.

Crazy easy to use.

While I may disagree with the need for an adhesive thermometer strip. You can probably get a single strip at your local homebrew store or at an online store such as Northernbrewer.com.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Hi-temp ones are hard to find... very niche product.

Fortunately they are, as you say, unnecessary; when steam is coming out the top I've got a pretty good idea about the temperature.

I do my testing at home using common cooking thermometers with probes. No need to test on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Explain Zelph. Didn't know about this. This is some more of what I was looking for.
    Awhile back there was a "group buy" that took place at BPL. The creator of the thread might still have some left for purchase.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...-thermometers/

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I use an eCHS. I'm ignorant in the use of a firesteel but it's on my list of things to learn.
    I use a Bic lighter.

https://hikelighter.com/boiling-water/

Shrimp to fish eyes to save on fuel wt.

Yes. For me, it's related to my level of perceived risk and skill level in certain conditions. It requires an honest assessment of skills and self-awareness of capabilities.
    That is a lesson I learned the first time packing an alchy stove in cold, rainy weather. I was on the brink of hypothermia and couldn't light the stove.
    This is a good point, in that stove choice is often weather dependent. For me, anything cold and sketchy, I'm taking a gas stove.

Snuff the alchy stove once water is to desired temp and retrieve excess fuel with an eye dropper.
    TJ and I are on the same page here. A lot of alcohol systems are much less efficient in the field because people burn more fuel than is necessary. The ability to snuff and recover fuel is key to minimizing fuel use.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    TJ and I are on the same page here. A lot of alcohol systems are much less efficient in the field because people burn more fuel than is necessary. The ability to snuff and recover fuel is key to minimizing fuel use.
    How do you safely snuff the stove? What does it weigh?

Snuffing out a FF? You'd have to cover the entire stove with a mug or something.

Far easier just to use a little 30ml measuring cup or a scratch mark in the stove well and get the right amount of fuel to start.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Snuffing out a FF? You'd have to cover the entire stove with a mug or something.

Far easier just to use a little 30ml measuring cup or a scratch mark in the stove well and get the right amount of fuel to start.
    Yes, it's easier but not necessarily efficient. I also measure with a 30ml cup but for some reason, on my last hike, I had to fire up the stove twice to heat my water, wasting fuel. And sometimes, 30ml is too much.

It's not the amount of fuel but the whole system...pot, windscreen, stove, and fuel. Optimizing the system is where you will save fuel weight.

Odd Man Out is so efficient, he can boil water with only 15ml of fuel. He has run extensive tests in all types of weather and has it down to a science (I believe he is a scientist).

I learned it from you, birdbrain, and stovie.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    How do you safely snuff the stove? What does it weigh?
    Some stoves can be blown out, some require the flame to be covered. I believe the most efficient way is using something that has a diameter slightly larger than the stove. But don't quote me on that, I'm not an expert.

As far as weight, the real question, IMO, is will you save enough fuel weight to make carrying a snuffer (unless using something you normally carry) and eye dropper worthwhile?

Images

Instructions for the Fancee Feest stove:

“Fancee Feest” Instructions”Always us a windscreen for maximum efficiency of fuelUse only pure methanol (such as “HEET” brand auto gas line freeze inhibitor (yellow bottle), or methanol/ethanol mixture known as “Denatured Alcohol” sold in paint and hardware stores …

In the United Kingdom and elsewhere in Europe, the fuel to use is known as “Meths” search your local backpacking forums for more information on this fuel.No other fuels are recommended.

“Lighting Instructions”1. Choose desired fireproof, level cooking surface.
    Pour desired amount of fuel into center of stove using pliable fuel cup.
    Stove fuel capacity is 3 ounce. ¾ ounce of fuel should boil 2 cups of water using a windscreen in an outdoor setting.
    Results may vary depending on weather conditions and also the design of pot being used.

2. Light the stove at the place where the stainless steel pot support meets the white wicking material. Place pot onto stove. If small diameter pot is used you may place pot onto stove first and then light. You may have to wait a few seconds for the wick to absorb fuel before lighting.

Images

If you use a cone with Starlyte burner, the burner can easily be blown out and once cooled enough, the lid is put on to conserve remaining fuel.

Images

An eCHS requires a separate pot support and a dedicated storage container should be used to protect it. In time the light gauge aluminum will become annealed and be vulnerable to distortion.

Use a fire steel combo like this one:

th_SparkLiteGIF.gif

Images

Yes, it's easier but not necessarily efficient. I also measure with a 30ml cup but for some reason, on my last hike, I had to fire up the stove twice to heat my water, wasting fuel. And sometimes, 30ml is too much.
    ).
    Were you using the eCHS stove?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    An eCHS requires a separate pot support and a dedicated storage container should be used to protect it. In time the light gauge aluminum will become annealed and be vulnerable to distortion.

Use a fire steel combo like this one:

th_SparkLiteGIF.gif
    Thank you for the advice. I do use a pot support. Will you elaborate on the "dedicated storage container"? Everything nestles into my imusa pot w/ lid (purchased from you) which is then carried inside my fbc cozy.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Were you using the eCHS stove?
    Yes. But there's a high possibility that it was a measuring error.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++