WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to hammocks

Default New to hammocks

Hi all - i have decided to try hammocks. but i have a question. do you need a pad or under quilt in the summer months? or can i just go with a top quilt until i have more money? thinking about the hudson river top quilt from jacks r better. but i would like to go ahead and camp first this summer before buying an under quilt.

You will need insulation under you, whether that is a pad or underquilt. Only above about 70° will you not need any insulation under you, for most people. I need something when it's below 80°

Journal Entries
    Images

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

While you are waiting for an answer

I agree with DE here in warm and might fla I thought I didn't, not!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Journal Entries

You will need something under you so you lose body heat out through the bottom of the hammock. Be it a pad or a quilt is up to you. If you are only going to hang in warm weather, you can get away with a 3/4 Torso length under quilt. Should you happen to hit a cold snap, I have used my pack for the area between my knees and feet. Do take the time to check out the link that Click gave you and go check out the videos by Shug Emery. He is very entertaining, but you can trust his advice. Good luck.
    Blackheart

My summer in Pennsylvania budget hammock set up is to just put my thermarest ProLite pad inside my summer weight sleeping bag and use that. I tried using the pad outside the bag but it ended up sliding around too much. My other budget summer set up is an old summer synthetic sleeping bag that already had a zipper at the bottom of the foot box so I cut a 5 inch slit at the head end. I run my hammock through the sleeping bag and it gives me top and bottom insulation (I think ENO makes a commercial version of this). Both of those work well enough for me that I am not going to spend money on a summer quilt system. The sleeping pad version also gives you the option of sleeping in a shelter (sans hammock) or going to the ground under the tarp if needed.

thanks everyone. guess an under quilt is the way to go. i don't see staying on a pad to be very easy in a hammock. i have checked out shug and he is very helpful. just couldn't figure out if i wud need something under me in PA in August.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsinpa View Post
    .... i don't see staying on a pad to be very easy in a hammock.....
    Persumably you already have a pad. It costs nothing to give it a try. I used a partially inflated REI Thermarest clone for a year and a half before buying my first under-quilt. Takes a little practice but, once you figure it out it is not a recurring problem.

But yes, even in August, without something underneath you might get chilly.

If you need to go to ground, a pad works for both.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

A $1 windshield sunblocker would even work.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've used a variety of thermarest or big agnes pads with good results. I've had not problems staying on the pad once properly situated. Underquilts might be nicer, but they're useless if you choose to sleep on the ground.

sounds like a good idea scrabber. but is it light enuf and can it be rolled small enuf for my pack?

If you're looking for something cheap, just to see if you like it, there's a few guys on fb hammock forums that make UQs out of the costco down throws...usually around $50-60 if memory serves. Easy enough to resell too if you don't like it.

I use a CCF pad down to about 50* --cheap, light, durable. as folks have already said, even in the 70s you're gonna feel the breeze on your underside without some kind of insulation. but they do work a whole lot better in a double layer hammock. I've had some miserable nights in my single-layer ENO tent, constantly fidgeting to keep the pad in place.

I have a Jarbidge underquilt from Arrowhead Equipment, the cheapest (that I know of) option around. $100 for a 3/4 length 25 degree underquilt. If it's warmer, don't use a foot pad for your feet and loosen up the underquilt a bit. I've used it comfortably in 50 degree nights. When it's colder, I use a cheap foam sitpad for my lower legs and feet. Works fine.

Hard to say what you need, you dont give the details of what the low temperatures will be, how can we know? You say summer, so I assume pretty darn warm, and suggested the $1 store windshield screen. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it wont. The more details you give the more everyone can help. Will it fit in your pack? I dont know your pack, who does? You cant strap it on top or bottom or outside wherever. Get creative man.
    Last edited by scrabbler; 07-05-2017 at 23:20.

My first camp with a hammock, was on a river. It was summer and I thought no WAY will I need much under me when it is 70 or above. When it dropped to 70, right next to the water, my back side was cold! Frustrating to almost be asleep and have to get up just to deploy the under quilt (UQ). Ever since then, I always deploy the UQ and then adjust within the hammock. A few weeks back, it only dropped to around 70 while I was camping. I had my 40 degree UQ under me. but then I only used a silk liner on me (in the hammock). There were five of us in hammocks and everyone used some insulation under them.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I would like to switch... How do I do it with the hammock and all its stuff being under 22 ounces?

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I would like to switch... How do I do it with the hammock and all its stuff being under 22 ounces?
    Join the Hammock Forums. Get onto Youtube and search for Shugemery (Shug Emory). You will be VERY entertained (he is a retired Ringling Brothers Clown, and an entertainer). Get a copy of "The Ultimate Hang". Like most anything, there are thousands of options!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    It isn't just about ounces but more about choices, options, and comfort. Just like tents range in weight from a pound to five; hammocks also vary a great deal. The lightest tents may not hold snow or be great in all seasons. The lightest hammocks comes without bug nets. A zipper for options can increase versatility but also increase weight. It's all in choices as rhjanes states. However, I was set on a tarptent; gave a hammock a try (thinking I would resell it if I didn't like) and have never looked back. Ultimately for me, the comfort of sleep and not having to climb into and out of a ground dwelling made all the difference. My big three still comes in under 10lbs

I feel bottom insulations is necessary when the temp drops below 70º. Of course it is exasperated by dampness. My worse night was when I laid down at 83º (no insulation) and the temp dropped to 67º around 3 am. I tried to add the CCF Pad but my back was damp from the time I laid down, as well as humidity on the bottom of the hammock. I still suffered CBS the rest of the night, not just Butt but also back. It subsided when I shivered enough to generate heat to dry the shirt and pad. That experience led to the purchase of a 20º 3/4 UQ which alway's is hung. Pushed to the side if night temps are expected to stay above 70 and deployed and vented to meet temps below.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++