WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fat pad impingement?

Wondering if anyone else has had difficulty with infrapatellar fat pad impingement? The fat pad (or Hoffa's pad) is under the knee cap and apparently it can get dislodged and/or pinched from trauma and/or overuse. My problem started in July 2015 and I eventually had PT for it in February-March 2016 and it finally improved, and I was able to section hike 220 miles of the AT last year with no issues. But this year, after a combination of a particularly intense crossfit workout followed by a challenging 3-day hike in the Atlas, it's causing problems again. I'm still hoping it will be solved with just rest, my old pt exercises, and meds, no surgery, but idk.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? How have you managed it? Is it recurring? Have you needed arthroscopic surgery? How much has it affected hiking?

Just looking for firsthand experience. Thanks!

How do you know its the exact same problem now, than in 2016?

Strange, the desert mountain hikes seem to be particular hard on the knees, I've developed a sore knee during my 7 weeks in the Sinai this spring, a first in my whole life.

++ New Posts ++