WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpacking the Allegheny Front Trail

https://endlessmountains.wordpress.c...y-front-trail/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/492395...57682760116764

Last month I backpacked the 42 mile Allegheny Front Trail, a loop in the Moshannon State Forest west of State College. The AFT is a beautiful and diverse loop with views from the Allegheny Front, and many forest types, from hardwoods, meadows, wetlands, pine and spruce forests, and jungles of laurel and rhododendron. I also saw countless wildflowers, including hundreds of pink lady slippers. The trail is known for its extensive streamside hiking. The streams are beautiful with great campsites, hemlocks, and more rhododendron. The trail is moderate in difficulty with hilly terrain, is fairly well blazed and established, but some sections can get brushy. Only had one tick on me. This is a beautiful loop that any backpacker should check out.

Day 1 photos

Day 2
    The AFT continued its beautiful ways with pristine streams cloaked with hemlocks and rhododendrons. Sixmile and Benner Run were simply gorgeous. I hiked through stunning forests of spruce, pine, and moss. I loved the thick jungles of rhododendrons and laurel that was on the cusp of blooming. I had to keep moving due to the threat of rain. I traversed vast blueberry meadows and glades of ferns. I reached my car in the twilight.

Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An underrated trail indeed. I've completed 2 full loops of it thus far, and will be back. Great pics!

Beautiful for sure!

I am planning to hike either the east or west loop of this trail this weekend. Which would you recommend? Probly use the Shingle Mill Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I am planning to hike either the east or west loop of this trail this weekend. Which would you recommend? Probly use the Shingle Mill Trail.
    IMO, the Eastern half is more scenic (which comes with a bit more ruggedness on the southeastern portion). The western half follows an old rail bed, a creek, and some uninteresting terrain near some houses.

Quote Originally Posted by ddanko2 View Post
    IMO, the Eastern half is more scenic (which comes with a bit more ruggedness on the southeastern portion). The western half follows an old rail bed, a creek, and some uninteresting terrain near some houses.
    Thank you!

I would agree with ddanko2 regarding the eastern half. I would suggest a loop combining the Moss Hanne Trail - East Loop of the AFT - Shingle Mill Trail. My favorite camping spots were the one under the Hemlocks at Smays Run and the one under Hemlocks and Rhododendron about halfway down Benner Run. There is also an appealing dry campsite that looks like it would have a nice sunrise view located north of Ralph's Pretty Good View (a bit less than 2 miles south of 504).

The fairly recent Purple Lizard Moshannon and Quehanna map includes the AFT.
    https://www.purplelizard.com/collections/maps/products/moshannon-quehanna

Quote Originally Posted by PAHiker View Post
    I would agree with ddanko2 regarding the eastern half. I would suggest a loop combining the Moss Hanne Trail - East Loop of the AFT - Shingle Mill Trail. My favorite camping spots were the one under the Hemlocks at Smays Run and the one under Hemlocks and Rhododendron about halfway down Benner Run. There is also an appealing dry campsite that looks like it would have a nice sunrise view located north of Ralph's Pretty Good View (a bit less than 2 miles south of 504).

The fairly recent Purple Lizard Moshannon and Quehanna map includes the AFT.
    https://www.purplelizard.com/collections/maps/products/moshannon-quehanna

Thanks for the info, I'll probly do just that, I ordered a map last week, hope it gets here in time!

++ New Posts ++