WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I don't like the feel of a Dutch hammock (too stretchy) any other good alternatives?

Hi whiteblaze! This is my first post! I bought an 11 ft dutch hammock and don't like how stretchy it feels. I did only get 1.0 hexon so maybe step it up to 1.6? Also, I really like the feel of the Grandtrunk Double. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have hammocks in hexon 1.0 and 1.6, there is a significant difference in stretch and feel between the two. I like the softness of the 1.0 but like you said it is a bit stretchy, especially if you weigh over 150. I have not found the 1.6 to be stretchy at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You are in the right track....i use both and find the 1.6 to have very little stretch. But I like the 1.0 as it feels cottony soft to me and a little stretch does not bother me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have the Hexon 1.0 but was having back pain from the stretch (and old injury getting aggravated from the curve). I did, however, still sleep better in it than I do on the ground. The great folks over at Hammock Forums all recommended going to the 1.6 and even only spending a few minutes in it I can definitely notice the difference.
    I am only 115# and your weight is going to make a difference on how stretchy something feels. You might want to try the 1.6 or a double layer 1.0 Hexon.

Journal Entries

You didn't specify which hammock you bought and if it has a ridgeline attached. Some of the pictures I am looking at does not show one. I would recommend emailing or calling Dutch. He's one of us and treats his customers well. I did notice that the 1.o Hexon has a weight rating of 200 lbs, while the Grand-trunk Double is rated at 400 lbs. The 200 lb difference will definitely make a difference in how the hammock will feel. Comparing the two is an apples and oranges issue. Good Luck.
    Blackheart

tmalan,

You might consider calling Dutch and talk through the many fabric options he has available. Your own size and weight along with personal preferences make a difference.

While few manufactures offer as numerous choices as Dutch, there are many which offer more structured or elegantly designed hammocks. However, feature rich hammocks come at a higher price and are a bit harder to justify without trying first. Consider attending a group hang in your area to see a wider range of hammocks.

I own several Dutchware Netless hammocks, a few Warbonnet Blackbirds, and a couple ENO Double Nests but, my most comfortable hammock by far is my Wilderness Logics Lite Owl. The Lite Owl is a 1.1 Double Layered gathered-end hammock, with knotty mods and suspension standard. Both the Snipe and the Night Owl are the same design but, the Snipe single layered (lighter but more stretch) and the Night Owl uses heavier fabric for less stretch and higher capacity. http://www.wildernesslogics.com/LITE-OWL-LITE-OWL.htm

Wilderness Logics hammocks feature great craftsmanship; much more structure than a hemmed span of fabric. Again, consider giving Marty at Wilderness Logics a call and talk through your preferences and options.

Good Luck

Images

You might want to start this thread over on hammockforums.net as there are obviously more hangers and have lots of experience with different fabrics and manufacturers of hammocks.

There was a recent thread and video where one user specifically measured the stretch of Dutch's Hexon 1.0 vs Hexon 1.6:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rison-Sag-Test

In addition to the Hexon 1.0 and 1.6 fabrics, Dutch also has Hexon 2.6 and Argon 1.6. The Argon has different stretch characteristics than Hexon from what I understand.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I have a hammock in Hexon 1.6 (Not from Dutch, but it's the same material). I've never noticed a stretch at all. The fabric is very soft and comfortable as well, much better than an ENO hammock.
    +1 to starting this on hammock forums, there are more hangers over there who know the ins and outs of every fabric imaginable.

Hexon has the least amount of stretch out of any available fabric used for light-weight hammocks. Argon is slightly stretchier. HyperD is similar to Hexon. If you really want a no-stretch hammock you could look at polyester but then you will likely run into the static issue. All nylon is going to stretch to a degree, but the heavier Hexon and HyperD fabrics are going to stretch the least. If you want almost zero stretch look at Polyester ripstop hammocks but then you will have to deal with static. All hammocks have pros and cons. (This was the information I received from HF when I needed a less stretchy hammock).

Any of the guys at Dutchware Gear, Simple Light Designs, Dream Hammock etc will answer a whole lot of questions to get you the right hammock.

Someone out there made hammocks out of Cuban Fiber if you are into least amount of stretch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Someone out there made hammocks out of Cuban Fiber if you are into least amount of stretch...
    I can't even imagine how much you'd sweat with that...no breathability.

Yeah but it won't stretch imagine the advantage...

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Hexon has the least amount of stretch out of any available fabric used for light-weight hammocks. Argon is slightly stretchier. HyperD is similar to Hexon. If you really want a no-stretch hammock you could look at polyester but then you will likely run into the static issue. All nylon is going to stretch to a degree, but the heavier Hexon and HyperD fabrics are going to stretch the least. If you want almost zero stretch look at Polyester ripstop hammocks but then you will have to deal with static. All hammocks have pros and cons. (This was the information I received from HF when I needed a less stretchy hammock).

Any of the guys at Dutchware Gear, Simple Light Designs, Dream Hammock etc will answer a whole lot of questions to get you the right hammock.
    Don't forget 1.7 Robic Hybrid XL from RBTR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by intimidator View Post
    Don't forget 1.7 Robic Hybrid XL from RBTR

I was only referring to pre-made hammocks. I'm not a DIYer so that fabric is not an option for me, or some others

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I was only referring to pre-made hammocks. I'm not a DIYer so that fabric is not an option for me, or some others
    Simply Light, dream hammock etc make hammocks from that fabric, as well as a few other vendors.

Just wanted wanted to include it because it is more supportive than Hexon and HyperD, with greater abrasion resistance.

Ask Dutch to exchange it. He is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post

I have, and it was hard as a rock. Stretch is not a bad thing. Some like more than others but no stretch is like sleeping on a board.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkie Talkie View Post
    Ask Dutch to exchange it. He is awesome.
    he he he Yeah, do you know where he is? He still owes me $20.

Quote Originally Posted by tmalan View Post
    Hi whiteblaze! This is my first post! I bought an 11 ft dutch hammock and don't like how stretchy it feels. I did only get 1.0 hexon so maybe step it up to 1.6? Also, I really like the feel of the Grandtrunk Double. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

You forgot the most important part- what do you weigh?

Unlike air pads or other stuff... hammocks are super fabric dependent to establish comfort. While many factors are at play a decent point to start is user weight.

Generally-
    175lbs and under enjoy 1.0 fabrics.
    175-225 ish enjoy 1.6 fabrics.
    225-275 enjoy 2.2 fabrics.
    Some would argue the nuances of that but it's close enough to start. That's comfort, not load capacity.

After that it gets a bit into the firm vs soft mattress debate and your sleep position. If you like a firm mattress you'll probably want a heavier fabric and visa-versa relative to your weight.
    This has little to do with the weight rating of the fabric itself but the comfort rating. A 2.2 ounce will hold say a 350lb guy- but for a 150 lb guy it's like sleeping on a rock. And just because 1.0 will hold 250lbs without breaking doesn't mean a 200lb guy won't feel like he's on a busted down cheap mattress where your ass bottoms out and hits the box spring.

Personally I think Dutch and many hammock vendors don't do a good job of explaining that "load capacity" and comfort rating are two different numbers. So you probably have a 1.0 chameleon because on his site it says it holds 200 pounds.

When you start talking double layers that's a different deal.

And as mentioned- the Hybrid fabric from Ripstop by the Roll is in a class of it's own. I personally think it is the best fabric available right now.

So one very good reason to have this discussion here rather than hammock forums is that you could discuss a non-chameleon option more easily.
    I'm not anti-dutch by any means, nor do I have any issues with the Chameleon. But much like the apple vs android debate it can be hard to honestly talk options at times at HF. And like it or not... a WB or BPL member is slightly more weight focused than the average HF user so the advice can be a bit skewed depending on your activity. When car camping I'd take different things than backpacking and if home sleeping I'd use different stuff than either of those so it can take a bit of sorting out at HF on the advice you get. That said... nobody knows more than the folks at HF but you do need to keep in mind the very diverse user base who is chiming in. Fair enough, lol?

Assuming you want the ability to switch lay direction-
    A Dream Hammock Raven offers the same features with one minor difference- while both are reversible lay in the chameleon you have to get out and flip the covers. In the Raven you just switch sides.
    For those looking for a reversible lay direction hammock because they aren't sure what they want... the chameleon is a great option.
    For those looking for a multi-direction lay because they flip and flop all night- the chameleon is not a good option.
    That's the least biased way I can see to sort the two out without any fanboy rhetoric.

After that... fabric is a huge factor IMO. Probably moreso than nearly any other features in a hammock. At the end of the day a gathered end hammock is what it is.

Regular ripstop has a square grid.
    Argon is basically square grid ripstop. Plain finish ripstop is fine... but a hammock specific ripstop pattern allows you to use a much lighter fabric weight and get increased support.

ENO and other cheapies use Parachute nylon which is typically a crinkle finish taffeta (no ripstop). There is a reason almost all the specialty vendors use a ripstop fabric and even ENO sells a "tech nest" which is their premium which comes with what they call "40D Nylon Taffeta Ripstop" which is basically HyperD 1.6. So...

Next up is HyperD... which is a diamond grid and silky smooth but a bit softer/more stretch in a given finished weight of fabric. It is better suited to hammocks than plain ripstop.
    Hexon is Dutch's 6 way ripstop (diamond plus square) and is firmer than plain ripstop and better suited to hammocks in general than ripstop. It is a nice fabric and will be firmer by weight than other options.

RBTR hybrid weave is a class of it's own. The finished weight is a bit misleading. What Kyle did with that fabric was use a different strength yarn to weave the ripstop grid. It's basically the exact same 6 way weave as Hexon... but it is a heavier yarn relative to the fabric. The hybrid 1.7 is the same 40d yarn as the soft, silky hyperD 1.6... but with a 80d diamond grid that is stronger than a Hex 70 or Hexon 2.4 (70 denier fabrics). So the fabric has a structure (the ripstop) that rivals 2.2 or 2.4 ounce fabrics but with the infill of the grid done is the silky soft HyperD yarn. So the finished weight is 1.7... but the performance is closer to a 1.9 or 2.0 ounce.

I haven't sewn up the 1.2 Hybrid that just came out but again... that should perhaps be looked at again as an in between. So for those here that backpack and are concerned about balancing weigh and comfort...
    A 1.2 Hybrid may be the ideal fabric for those around 200lbs who find the 1.0 fabrics too soft and stretchy for comfort.
    A 1.7 Hybrid is great for those wanting a bit more than a standard 1.6 without having to jump higher.

Of the two- I would think most backpackers will really like this Hybrid 1.2 that just came out. So for those who are in between the typical 1.0, 1.6, 2.2 offering these really fill in the voids. If you happened to land in the sweet spot where one of those other fabrics worked... they are still popular for a reason, lol. Nothing wrong with them... but I don't think RBTR has done a good job really highlighting exactly what the Hybrid line offers. To be fair... it's up to the vendors to sell it in their designs I suppose.

For what it's worth- The Hybrid 1.2 came out to 1.145 ounces on my scale. So that's almost exactly an ounce on the nose over a one ounce fabric in a XL (wide) 11' long sewn channel GE hammock. That's worst case scenario. Cut that down to a 58" x 10' and it's under an ounce penalty.

Randy at Dream Hammock has those fabrics ready to build in a Raven... so they are commercially accessible from some of the cottage vendors.
    Jared at Simply Light, and others as well I believe.

I do really like the Chameleon concept... hammocks are complicated and Dutch has a nice package to get you going and to work with moving forward, and it's easy to pick up a new net panel or top cover down the line. Dutch is also doing a good job with reducing shipping time as he can mix and match premade stuff to get your gear out the door fast. His suspension options are still his specialty and he can offer a great one stop shop to get you out hanging fast with one order.

In many ways you are choosing fabric as much if not more than other features so I would strongly recommend folks shop fabrics first, then look to finished designs/features. Unless you're buying a shaped hammock from SLD or some other subtle changes you're basically buying a GE hammock from a comfort perspective... there isn't any secret sauce in a rectangle.

PS- I make and sell gear. I don't personally use or have any connection with any of these vendors other than I use RBTR fabrics almost exclusively for my products. I make bridge hammocks and subtle issues, flaws, or benefits to fabrics are often violently highlighted when working with the higher stresses and complications of building bridge hammocks. So to be fair... in an 11' long GE hammock you may not see what I see when making a bridge... If you are a backpacker pushing weight and trying 9' hammocks then the difference is more apparent too.
    But having made 100+ bridge prototypes I can tell you that the Hybrid 1.7 fabric allows me to do things I've never been able to do with other fabrics...

++ New Posts ++