WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default shuttle service from Newfound Gap to Cherokee, N.C.

Anyone have information on this service?

Images

easy peasy hitch......

stand at the exit of newfound gap road and you will get picked up within minutes (typically)..

another place to stand is at the exit of clingmans dome road.......

easy peasy.....

I don't know about minutes, but I guess eventually you'll get lucky. 99.9% of the traffic is tourists and 99.8% aren't going to stop.

There used to be a van shuttle between Gatlinburg and Cherokee which ran a couple of times a day. I was trying to hitch from the ranger station to New Found and they pulled over. I think I was charged $5 for the ride, well worth it. Not sure if it's still in service.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

It's that 0.1% that will get ya every time.....

at the gap---I have waited no longer than ten minutes for a ride......

other parts of the park---such as leaving cades cove---was longer but still got a ride...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The only shuttle services in GSMNP that I know of are 'A Walk In The Woods' and 'AAA Hiker Service'. But both of these have their home base in TN. So I would expect a shuttle down to Cherokee to not be cheap.

I've never tried to hitch hike from New Found Gap myself, but given that the only destination from the Gap is to the bottom of the mountain (either the Gatlinburg or Cherokee side) sounds like an easy hitch.

Based on my experience trying to hitch hike from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine (similar situation, leaving the Portal, Lone Pine is the only place to do), my advice would be to try to be as clean as possible when you try to get a hitch. If you've been out sweating or you're just plain dirty, take some time and some soap to give yourself a sponge bath and clean up. If you don't have any extra water, I believe there are working sinks down at the bathrooms and a water fountain at the Gap.

++ New Posts ++