WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping Dragon's Tooth - Johns Spring

I know there's restricted camping in this area, however, I'm hoping someone can weigh in on camping options between Dragons Tooth and the next NOBO shelter. Thanks

Good luck. I believe some camp at Lost Spectacles gap, but there is no water (last water is at the Pickle Branch shelter, some 5 miles south) and is likely not legal. This is a heavily traveled section of trail with 100's of day hikers. You could go to 0.3 miles to the Catawba Grocery off of VA624 and camp behind the store. Plus they have a grill, so you can get dinner and breakfast there. Use the designated sites in this area or stay home.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Joe Mitchells yard at 4 pines hostel. Or in his garage. Baltimore Jack camped in his horse trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Joe Mitchells yard at 4 pines hostel. Or in his garage. Baltimore Jack camped in his horse trailer.
    I would have to highly recommend tenting at this property. Unless you have a stout immune system.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rwd111 View Post
    I know there's restricted camping in this area, however, I'm hoping someone can weigh in on camping options between Dragons Tooth and the next NOBO shelter. Thanks
    Yep, Four Pines is your best bet. Don't do what I did, which is this:

Starting a section hike at VA 311 going north, got in at dusk and rather than hiking 1 mi north to John's Spring shelter in the dark I decided to head about 100 yards south down the trail, bushwhack to the top of the ridge, and stealth camp.

It was all good until about 4 AM when some local who must have seen my tent fired several shots from his rifle directly over where I was sleeping. He must have been shooting from the trail, because I could literally see the blasts from his gun coming from that direction. Needless to say, I did not sleep another wink that night.
    It's all good in the woods.

Thanks for your advice. I just wanted to know about options if I got caught in severe storms between Dragons Tooth and Johns Spring.. I'll likely keep moving north until I hit Johns Spring. Thanks again

++ New Posts ++