WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Twin Lakes - mail drop or no

What's resupply like in Twin Lakes?

no maildrop needed. well stocked store, with hiker staples and a brimming hiker box.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Just call ahead if using HEET or Canisters. Many CT and CDT hikers out now so a small store can be wiped before their deliveries are re-upped.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I would have no issue with resupplying there. But I will be also sending a box of my magical Malto mix as well.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    no maildrop needed. well stocked store, with hiker staples and a brimming hiker box.
    I would also call about this for current conditions as close to your time before you leave for the CT as this also changes for the reasons Mag's stated.

Mailing a box or not also depends on food wt willing to carry(might have to take some cans for example), diet flexibility, diversity of food expected, and how many days resupply you're seeking balancing out the first three in this list. If you're doing a tight timeframe hike the alternatives are more time consuming than mailing a box if what you're expecting for resupply when you specifically get to TL their isn't as expected. Been there..at TL in this position!

Thanks everyone. The Gods have smiled on me - Salty has generously given me his mail drop at Twin Lakes - I'm sure between that and what's at the store I'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Thanks everyone. The Gods have smiled on me - Salty has generously given me his mail drop at Twin Lakes - I'm sure between that and what's at the store I'll be good.
    Forgot to warn you....don't eat the dog food!though it costs more than the rest of the crap in the box!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I was feelin that was goin to occur. Shut up let it develop though. Box prolly contains nothing but dog food, Ramen, Starburst chews, and Oreos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I was feelin that was goin to occur. Shut up let it develop though. Box prolly contains nothing but dog food, Ramen, Starburst chews, and Oreos.
    No super hiker food like the highly potent Malto mix......the usual garbage that I don't eat at home.....ironically I did just eat one of the meals out of a box that didn't get mailed......Skurkas beans and rice....good stuff.......can't stomach ramen or BP pantry.....yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

TL resupply is " uncontrolled"
    They put resupply boxes in a big wood box, and you dig thru to find yours....or someones you like better

1. Some packages cant take wear and tear and may break open. Tape it up really well. Really, really, well.

2. Make yours visible, colored tape, etc so easy to find. You will be digging thru dozens.

Store has regular hiker staples . Basic stuff. It will get you to salida if you like tortillas/pb/jelly, lipton sides, mashed potatoes, candy, jerky, etc
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-14-2017 at 04:15.

There was an uncontrolled resupply stop on the PCT too... At a convenience store next to a campground somewhere around Shasta.

Interesting concept. Digging through boxes looking for yours unsupervised.

castella....

++ New Posts ++