WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chicago Basin Question

Anyone (I'm sure there is) here have experience at the Chicago Basin? Thinking about a future trip with my kids (college age) and would like to ask a few questions. Best time frame to go? Weather to prepare for? Probably lots of other questions. I would just like to initiate some contact and go from there. Thanks

BamaB2,

I haven't been yet but I've been researching this very topic for a trip this year. The answers depend on your intentions I think. It seems most go there to bag the 14'rs and that's what I plan to do as well. The best web sites I found are 14ers.com and sjma.org.

I'm going in mid-September to hopefully avoid the worst of monsoon season. The downside of that time frame ia a higher risk of early season snow.

If you must go to Chicago Basin...
    September
    Prep for 20 degrees & hope it doesn't get to 10. I use a WM Alpinlite in the San Juans in September.
    Use the Backpacker's Special on the train out of Silverton. You'll save money. You have to call to make a reservation. You can't get the special online.
    Metalbackpacker has a good trip report and video online.
    Save Chicago Basin for last. You'll appreciate the uncrowded areas.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Wayne,

Why do you say "if you must" .....just the crowds?

Crowds. Pack your poop out. Goats eat anything salty.
    Hey, it's all good. There are quieter places.
    I hope you have a great hike.
    Oh. When are you going? I presume you're flying? I should be somewhere south of Denver in my car about September 12-13. Where will you be then?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

PatmanTN,
    Yeah, I would like to attempt a couple of the 14er's and just generally see what looks like some beautiful scenery. I've never been to Colorado and my kids would love it. I thinking next year though. A high school buddy of my son went 2 or 3 years ago. I'm trying to catch up with him as well but hoping for some input from folks that have been more regularly. Being from Alabama, I don't have the cold gear for the higher altitude extremes so my travel window will be smaller. Oh yeah, I've been researching and found those sights. Thanks.

Venchka,
    So are the crowds bad? Certain times? Read about packing your poop. Not high on my list buy hey, do what's required. My daughter won't go for that. Is it better to go earlier in the season, like late June? My preference would be to avoid the crowds without hitting weather extremes. My equipment gets me down to say 30 degrees. Are there any other areas that would offer more solitude, maybe a chance for a 14er?

Wayne,

I'm going this September but haven't bought plane tickets yet. Not sure about the exact dates. I'm flying into Durango, getting an Air Bnb room, riding the train to the first stop (Needleton) hiking needle creek east then camping below the basin. I hope to bag the three 14rs in a couple days, then do the commonly reported loop over Columbine pass, Johnson Creek, to Vallecito trail. Possibly trying the off-trail route up to Sunlight Lake, spending a night there fishing then backtracking and continuing the loop up to the Divide, around to the CT and eventually back to Elk Park. I'm giving myself a week to play around, so depending on how things go that route may change a little. I called the train folks and they seemed pretty cool about backpackers getting picked up earlier or later than planned.

Seems like it would be more efficient to rent a car or get shuttled to a trail head but I can't resist backpacking off a train. I can't think of another place that can be done!

I was hoping to pack my poop out somewhere away from the "zone" and bury it instead of carrying it around for the whole week.

Bama,

If it goes as planned I'll post a report and let you know.

I've climbed all the 14ers and I think you have picked a perfect trip to experience some of the best back country in Colorado. Due to the unusual access by train to the trail to Chicago Basin the area is not too crowded compared to other areas.

It's a good walk from the tracks up to the basin so you want the early train. They have a bar on the train! It could be kind of cold at that altitude so make sure you will be comfortable down to 30 degs. Wouldn't worry too much about rain or snow. If it does rain it shouldn't last too long especially in September and if it snows it won't be so deep that you would have trouble walking out. The basin is heavily patrolled so you can expect a ranger to pass by your camp and check that you are following all the rules. The train people are very cool to backpackers but they are on a schedule and with a train full of passenger they will leave on schedule so make sure you are back to Needleton on time. When we did it we walked half way back down the trail the night before just to be safe. As far a packing out poop that must be a new rule because it wasn't the rule 7 years ago. Patman's trip would be a great route if you have time.

PatmanTN,
    Good luck with your trip and please do report. My son and I were just talking about the trip. I'm going to do a little research on your proposed route.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaB2 View Post
    PatmanTN,
    Good luck with your trip and please do report. My son and I were just talking about the trip. I'm going to do a little research on your proposed route.
    Metalbackpacker has a detailed itinerary on the train out of Durango to Elk Creek. Up Elk Creek on the CT to the CDT and a night at Eldorado Lake. From there a few more miles on the CDT. Over Hunchback Pass. Down to the beginning of Vallecito Creek. Vallecito Creek to Johnston Creek (great campsite at the junction of the two creeks). Up Johnston Creek and over Columbine Pass. Down to Chicago Basin. Up a few 14s. Out to Needleton and the train.
    A friend and I had this trip all planned for last year. His health got in the way.
    Pay attention to the elevation profiles in the Metalbackpacker trip report. There are several 12,000'+++ passes and elevation loss in between.
    There's a trip report on that itinerary right here at WhiteBlaze. Probably in Other Long Trails.
    I dig up links when I get to a computer.
    Wayne

I hiked through the Chicago Basin area in August of 2014. On that trip in various parts of the San Juans I slept above 12000 feet a couple times and on both nights it dropped down to about 30 degrees. If it had been September with similar atmospheric conditions it probably would have gotten about 10 degrees colder.

I did not scramble to the top of any 14ers on that trip but I did walk into the Basin, then labored up over Columbine Pass and camped in a scenic spot about 150 yards from Columbine Lake. I got up in the wee hours of the night and looked up into the sky and saw more stars than I have ever seen before -- I was above 12000 feet and a long ways away from any city lights (the same is true of Chicago Basin). It was one of those moments most of us live for when we are hiking in remote places.

The idea that you might get to share moments like that with your kids is a strong recommendation for making a trip to that part of the San Juan Mountains, I would say. The Chicago Basin is beautiful country.
    Last edited by map man; 07-14-2017 at 00:40.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Cool Elk Creek-Needle Creek Semi-loop

As promised. View on a real computer. A phone won't do justice to the information.
    https://www.alltrails.com/explore/re...icago-basin--2

http://metalbackpacker.com/backpacki...eedleton-loop/

Everything is at WhiteBlaze.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...ight=Vallecito

Bonus. Don't tell anyone.
    http://arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles/Outdoors/Weminuche/

I hope this helps.
    Have fun y'all!
    Wayne

PS:
    I remember reading this in a trip report. Camp uphill and upstream of the beaver ponds on Elk Creek. Common sense really, but bears mentioning.
    Wayne

Well I'm not the OP, but thanks very much for the info Wayne and Mapman.... Good stuff!

You're welcome! I wish I had firsthand intel from last September but it didn't work out.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Yeah, the info is greatly appreciated. Anxious to check out the provided links but work is getting in the way right now. If you guys think of any more info, opinions, or advice please share.

map man,
    The experience you describe sounds like heaven and you are right, as much as I would like to see something like that, it doesn't compare to how much I would like to see it with my kids.

Oh didn't mean to omit David either, thank you

It's really cool when people share this kind of beta.

Images

For anyone looking at this in the future.. I live in Durango and have been in Chicago Basin several times both on runs and backpacks. You can hike in from Purg flats trailhead on 550 and get there without paying for a train ticket, adds 9mi in, and there are plenty of great campsites along the Animas river if you want to take 2 days to get in. I disagree that best time is September. Maybe September to avoid crowds, but July/August is prime for weather. May need to be ready for afternoon thunderstorms (aka don't climb peaks in the afternoon), but days and nights will be warmer. Temp is super weather dependent but maybe 40s. If you come from sea level just be wary of sleeping too high, I live at 6500 and I still sometimes have trouble sleeping super high up.

You can do an out-and-back, but if you can make the logistics work, going up Columbine and out at Vallecito is absolutely gorgeous. Even better would be the full loop ending at either Elk Creek (by rail, ~40mi) or Molas Pass (by car, ~60mi).

And yes, Chicago Basin is beautiful and worth a trip.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

One more reason to visit the Weminuche in September: It is cooler.
    Coming from the Gulf Coast or East Texas I crave cool weather after a punishing summer. A morning or two around freezing is a bonus.
    Headed further north after Labor Day this year. Have fun Y'all!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    If you come from sea level just be wary of sleeping too high, I live at 6500 and I still sometimes have trouble sleeping super high up.
    I HIGHLY recommend you consider this, as I spent a week in CO last month and the elevation kicked our butts. Granted, I'm not in great shape, but not bad, and not overweight, so YMMV. Coming from 1000' home, spent one night at 9,000' and then up to 12,500. First two days were brutal - like walking in pudding, lethargic. In researching post-hike, one major lesson learned is to drink at least a gallon of water a day, and probably more if hiking hard. Supposed to make a major difference. Next time I will spend 2-3 more nights below 10,000', and then hit the high campsites. Everyone's body responds differently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++