WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Personally I would hike early so as to camp early. This puts you in camp, usually, before afternoon showers while still getting in your mileage.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Personally I would hike early so as to camp early. This puts you in camp, usually, before afternoon showers while still getting in your mileage.
    Roger that. It's a very rare day I'm not hiking by 5:00 AM. One of the great pleasures I get out of hiking is watching the sunrise.

Loaded up my pack with 5 days food, 2 liters of water. Honest weight is 27 lbs, 2 oz.

Dang.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the 104 mile carry from Waterton to Breckenridge is the longest haul on the CT - after that it's every 50-75 miles.

Something I haven't said is that I'm going to try a different hiking style this hike - rather than churn out 25-30 mile days I'm going to try a slower, relaxed hike with more stops along the way. I've budgeted 30 days to complete the hike.

With all the daylight available, I should be able to hit 20 miles as long as I'm on the trail by 10ish every day.
    Ok, that changes things a bit. My longest carry will be out of Monarch Pass all the way to Molas which is about 160 miles. Will be interesting to see if you can throttle it back, I know I can't. I have even stopped early, set up then packed up and hiked on. I guess this is ADHD playing itself out.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    If he's starting at 5 thats what is going to happen - mid afternoon stop and still might get rained on. Get the majority of the miles in before11. Coast, take a swim, Google nearest Go Go Bar and take it from there.

@Malto. Me too. Hard to stop at 4 in the afternoon. I've set up and then packed it baoilck up just because I wanted to go another 2 hrs.

Also guilty of setting up my shelter... looking at it for a while and then packing it back up and hiking some more.

Do you too make up excuses to pack back up like I can find a better CS perhaps with more of a view, CS drainage is questionable, is that a dead branch, what's over that next rise can't leave my stuff here that's to many repeaten mile, if I go just 4 more miles today and get up tomorrow at 4 am I can make it I to town for Happy Hour on friday, I should get most or all of that ascent done today while it is cooler and I still have more gas in the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Ok, that changes things a bit. My longest carry will be out of Monarch Pass all the way to Molas which is about 160 miles. Will be interesting to see if you can throttle it back, I know I can't. I have even stopped early, set up then packed up and hiked on. I guess this is ADHD playing itself out.
    Why not contact Apple? He said you could mail him a package or to wonderlust hostel in gunny and he can bring to trail where he sets up......I gotta get back out...this unfinished walk is killing me......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Why not contact Apple? He said you could mail him a package or to wonderlust hostel in gunny and he can bring to trail where he sets up......I gotta get back out...this unfinished walk is killing me......

That will be about a five day carry and this is the limit that I go unless there are no other options. I am cherry picking super simple resupplies.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    That will be about a five day carry and this is the limit that I go unless there are no other options. I am cherry picking super simple resupplies.
    Totally understand...if I go back in September will be starting in Durango, would be looking at same but more like 6.5-7 days...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Totally understand...if I go back in September will be starting in Durango, would be looking at same but more like 6.5-7 days...

Seems like I remember somebody saying something about a one way car rental to Durango.
    I hope it works for you.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Seems like I remember somebody saying something about a one way car rental to Durango.
    I hope it works for you.
    Wayne

Probably not going to be this September...I'll likely be AT bound til next sept.....I do like the AT during the fall and winter......I did look up car rental out of Leadville for ****s n grins as I'd like to at least hike the seg I haven't done....i.e. Durango to monarch crest hitch down to TL so could hike back to Breck....car rental not bad out of Leadville...$137..one way to Durango....actually flights are cheaper to vs Denver go figure....RT to Durango from Jax is $397.00

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++