WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shelter Cats

As I said. I've seen cats on European trails, especially Italy.

But. People were committed in hiking in food and engaging in other care for them.

It looked to me that it was a more than once once a week endeavor. Supporting shelter cats would be a lot of work.

Would be neat if there was an easier solution than hiker responsibility for keeping shelters clean of mice.

Images

Would be neat if there was an easier solution than hiker responsibility for keeping shelters clean of mice.

well............

it all boils down to food storage and all that..........

which, is the hiker's responsibility........

no food---no mice.....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    The fleas the rats carried, carried the plague. No rats, no fleas, no plague
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulrod.../#750097eaa342

Gerbils were probably the culprit but they've loveable & cute, whereas rats are ugly.

Still rats.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Bell on the collar? Or maybe one of these?

i woke up the other morning with a very bad smell in the room. Upon investigation, I found a dead squirrel under the bed which my cat Felix, aka "ninja assasin " had undoubtedly brought in for our mutual enjoyment. The squirrel was not partially eaten, just killed with no obvious injury.

I just ordered these silly clown collars, I let you know if they work. Perhaps the cat will be too embarrassed to hunt, or the local small fauna might die laughing.

As to OP, I think abandoning a cat in the wild at a shelter would be cruel, but when the alternative for captured feral cats is euthanasia perhaps it would be ok. I can argue both sides. I volunteered at our local animal shelter for a short while. They have a huge task in Brevard county and a lot of euthanasia takes place. I stopped volunteering there because I was so depressed. I now volunteer at a people clinic where we don't euthanize. The animals complained less.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    well............

it all boils down to food storage and all that..........

which, is the hiker's responsibility........

no food---no mice.....
    Id suggest ....no food....less mice.
    Mice are there anyway, living on their natural food sources
    And are particularly adaptable to living in shelters, in fact prefer it I think, regardless of where they might find their food.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    i woke up the other morning with a very bad smell in the room. Upon investigation, I found a dead squirrel under the bed which my cat Felix, aka "ninja assasin " had undoubtedly brought in for our mutual enjoyment. The squirrel was not partially eaten, just killed with no obvious injury.
    I just ordered these silly clown collars, I let you know if they work. Perhaps the cat will be too embarrassed to hunt, or the local small fauna might die laughing.
    As to OP, I think abandoning a cat in the wild at a shelter would be cruel, but when the alternative for captured feral cats is euthanasia perhaps it would be ok. I can argue both sides. I volunteered at our local animal shelter for a short while. They have a huge task in Brevard county and a lot of euthanasia takes place. I stopped volunteering there because I was so depressed. I now volunteer at a people clinic where we don't euthanize. The animals complained less.
    In my rural neighborhood there's one home that always has a dozen cats hanging out, some of them feral or semi-feral. One of them used to come eat at our house now and then, until animal control came out and trapped him. I'm sure he was put down. I was curious about the issue, so I did a little bit of research. I learned that "experts" recommend a neuter-and-release program instead of euthanasia. Being territorial, the presence of feral cats deters others from moving in, which amounts to a limiting factor in the feral population. Removal and euthanasia just meant a different cat took its place.

Bell on the collar? Or maybe one of these?
    Only if wild birds are significantly more afraid of a cat dressed as a creepy clown than of a cat not in costume. Have cats ever been shown to be subject to coulrophobia?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Have cats ever been shown to be subject to coulrophobia?
    That sounds like a question for Schrödinger.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

In my rural neighborhood there's one home that always has a dozen cats hanging out, some of them feral or semi-feral. One of them used to come eat at our house now and then, until animal control came out and trapped him. I'm sure he was put down. I was curious about the issue, so I did a little bit of research. I learned that "experts" recommend a neuter-and-release program instead of euthanasia. Being territorial, the presence of feral cats deters others from moving in, which amounts to a limiting factor in the feral population. Removal and euthanasia just meant a different cat took its place.
    There is a local privately funded program which does neuter and release, they are limited though and most feral cats go to the animal control shelter which is run through a branch of the sheriffs office. The solid colored black cats are statistically least likely to be adopted and are therefore the first to be euthanized... so black cats beware!

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    ... most feral cats go to the animal control shelter which is run through a branch of the sheriffs office. The solid colored black cats are statistically least likely to be adopted and are therefore the first to be euthanized... so black cats beware!
    The sheriffs department is trying to address this worrisome situation.
    http://www.brevardsheriff.com/home/w...dProfiling.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++