WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best campsites on JMT

If I can acquire the dreaded permit, I'm planning to hike the JMT in July or September, 2018.

What are the best campsites along the trail?
    Great blog site for new and/or female hikers! www.appalachiantrailclarity.com

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I camped at Guitar Lake and hiked up Whitney the next morning in time to see the sun come up with the summit to myself. As much as I hated hiking in the Sierra I think that was probably one of the highlights of my PCT hike.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    ... As much as I hated hiking in the Sierra I think that was probably one of the highlights of my PCT hike.
    Interesting opinion. Exactly the opposite of what most people say.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The best campsite is the one you find when you want to stop for the night. Best to leave those nice scenic places for long breaks during the daytime when you can actually see and enjoy them. Popular spots are known to the bears as well. In all my 20+ years of hiking the Sierra, I've never felt the need to plan a campsite and I've rarely had a bad one.

Its not hard to find a permit if you don't need to start on the weekend. If you are starting in Yosemite, you just put your application in on the first day you can for the earliest date you want and let it rollover automatically until you get your permit. Getting one the southern end can be even easier. This year, I put in an application for Labor Day weekend in Yosemite and it rolled over til the 3rd week of September. I got exactly what I wanted as I didn't want alternative trailheads which is why it took as long as it did. I was essentially competing with all the people who put one in for August and let theirs roll over so they were ahead of me in the queue. I suspect the hype over the high snow levels this year had more people applying for later permits than normal. I actually prefer for hiking in the Sierra that late in the year, providing I don't get a lot of weather during the first week of October. Any hiking in October can be risky, though the early part should be fine more often than not.

Images

TW,
    on the JMT I don't think you should think of it as walking campsite to campsite. I found plenty of beautiful places to spend the night, some very popular (Thousand Island Lake, which was great), some I found and had to myself (the other side of the river in the upper Lyell Canyon was very nice). Almost always I just walked until I was done for the day, then found a great spot usually within the next mile.

My last night I slept on the summit of Whitney, cold but beautiful waiting for the sunrise. I had it all to myself. That was memorable.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

HI Allyson
    The Harrison JMT Maps have many(I'd say closer to only some)known CS's listed on them. A greater nimber are listed on the NAT GEO TI JMT 1001 mapset which is a small light wt pamphlet type affair.

Guitar Lake is good finishing off a SOBO JMT as 10k did.
    The two Scotty offered are good although their are several on Thousand Island Lake. The one in a small grove of trees almost abutting the trail to the weSt with a grand lake overlook is good but to the far end of the lake perhaps 1/2 a mile off the JMT is more private.

The best CS's on the JMT by my definition aren't right on the JMT but when I get 1/4 - 2 miles off it. As Scott said it might be better off not thinking of a JMT thru as a designated CS to designated CS hike.

Miner is right about the bears keying in on the most used CS"s. There are also other animals to be concerned like mice at these se some of these sites but not like AT lean to mice issues.for theost part.

If you want long listed opining about Best JMT CS's there are Web sites fir that but IMHO don't let these opinions or ours be your only selections.read a map. Let it develop. Lots of places to pitch a small tent or cowboy.

Mid sept to second wk of Oct not is easier to get a permit than July. Karen Berger's book talks about the pros and cons of each month. If not too deep into July this yr you'll prolly see see some snow on the peaks which is like frosting on a cupcake offering an added pleasurable scenic postcard perfect dimension. Mid Sept after Labor Day to mid and possibly the third wk of Oct is my favorite Sierra backpacking timeframe.

is a lot easier

Lower Cathedral Lake. Virginia lake. Veering off the JMT to Clouds Rest camping there are all good. There's a small site that is usually shared by three small tents on the ascent to Whitney just after trail pass. The last two you have to bring H2O.

Images

The best campsites are not on the JMT. Just north is Evolution Lake is an area called Darwins Bench. There is a small trail that goes up and there is one of the best views in the Sierra. This is just one of countless examples. I also second not looking at the JMT as a series of campsites, selection will be based more on the passes.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Based upon my 2016 thru hike if the JMT the Sierras are a virtual cornucopia of eye candy.

You can't go wrong whether you end up camping.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Spectacular campsites are without limit

How spectacular can depend on how few there.

Cathedral lakes , the tarn at donahue pass, are great in yosemite.

Expect crowds at guitar lake, necessary evil.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-18-2017 at 20:32.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I camped at Guitar Lake and hiked up Whitney the next morning in time to see the sun come up with the summit to myself. As much as I hated hiking in the Sierra I think that was probably one of the highlights of my PCT hike.
    Why did you hate hiking in the Sierra?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twistwrist View Post
    Why did you hate hiking in the Sierra?
    Too much snow for me.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    TW,
    on the JMT I don't think you should think of it as walking campsite to campsite. I found plenty of beautiful places to spend the night, some very popular (Thousand Island Lake, which was great), some I found and had to myself (the other side of the river in the upper Lyell Canyon was very nice). Almost always I just walked until I was done for the day, then found a great spot usually within the next mile.

My last night I slept on the summit of Whitney, cold but beautiful waiting for the sunrise. I had it all to myself. That was memorable.
    Thanks Scotty. I know on the AT, I passed by so many beautiful camp sites because I hit them at inopportune times to settle for the night. But you've got an excellent point. Glad nice spots are ubiquitous out there!

Thanks to all for the advice! Can't WAIT to get out there!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Before my trip, I researched and googled, watched "Mile, Mile & a Half" more than once. I came up with a list of "Scenic Camp Sites" and "Suggested Camp Sites". I don't recall the sources, and the only info I have is the campsite number based on the Wend data book. But for what there worth, the lists I came up with are listed below.

Of course the reality while on the trail was to hike til about 5 to 6 o'clock, then look at the map to see what campsites were soon ahead.

I can definitely say that there were a few times I was VERY glad I didn't hike on to some of these campsites. Best example I can think of is the night I spent at Ruby Lake... located between the popular spots of Thousand Islands Lake and Garnet Lake. I got to Thousand Islands early enough that I wanted to keep going. By the time I reached Ruby Lake, decided it was getting late enough and stopped for the night. The lake is smaller than the other two, but is very beautiful, and I had it all to myself. The next morning, it didn't take long for me to get to Garnet Lake... and I couldn't believe the number of tents just all over the place. Any spot that a tent could be set on was taken up... and in a few cases, even where a tent didn't belong (didn't understand how that couple slept in a tent I saw setup on what must have been a 25º to 30º slope).

In any case, here's the list of campsites I came up with:

Scenic Camp Sites:
    10.12 - 10.17

Suggested Camp Spots:

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I can definitely say that there were a few times I was VERY glad I didn't hike on to some of these campsites. Best example I can think of is the night I spent at Ruby Lake... located between the popular spots of Thousand Islands Lake and Garnet Lake. I got to Thousand Islands early enough that I wanted to keep going. By the time I reached Ruby Lake, decided it was getting late enough and stopped for the night. The lake is smaller than the other two, but is very beautiful, and I had it all to myself. The next morning, it didn't take long for me to get to Garnet Lake... and I couldn't believe the number of tents just all over the place. Any spot that a tent could be set on was taken up... and in a few cases, even where a tent didn't belong (didn't understand how that couple slept in a tent I saw setup on what must have been a 25º to 30º slope).
    There is a side trail that runs into the JMT somewhere around Thousand Island if I recall correctly, thus Thousand Island and Garnet Lakes were a zoo. I totally regret not stopping at Ruby lake. It was small and gorgeous, and not a soul there. But I decided to press on to Garnet and struggled to find a campsite...had to walk all the way around the lake to find one.
    I cut a hike short by about 5 miles one day when I came up on Silver Pass Lake. There were a couple pads nestled in the trees on the upper end of the lake and I had it all to myself. What a view.
    Alot of people were disappointed by Purple Lake. The main campsite there is in the trees and you can't even see the lake.
    Guitar Lake was a bit overrated for me. It's shielded from the sun when it's low...making it pretty cold. Plus, everybody thinks alike and tries to get to Guitar to setup for Whitney, so it was a zoo. I read after my trip of someone going to the little lake past Guitar and having it to themselves. Maybe my perception of it was clouded by finding used tp under a rock right next to my tent (isn't Guitar in the Wag Bag zone?) ugh.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    ...everybody thinks alike and tries to get to Guitar to setup for Whitney, so it was a zoo. I read after my trip of someone going to the little lake past Guitar and having it to themselves. Maybe my perception of it was clouded by finding used tp under a rock right next to my tent (isn't Guitar in the Wag Bag zone?) ugh.
    Yes, Guitar Lake is WAG Bag territory. It begins at Timberline Lake (the lake below Guitar Lake) and continues all the way to the Whitney Portal.

The night I camped near Guitar Lake, both Guitar Lake and the small lake immediately above it were packed. I did find a spot near that second lake, but it was about 20 feet away from another spot a smoking couple had already pitched their tent at.

However, I noticed a 'use' trail that crossed the mouth of this small lake and followed it. I climbed the rocks on the far side of this lake and found three level sandy spots perfect for pitching your tent. It has a view of Guitar Lake, and if you needed some privacy, it was a short walk down the other side of these rocks to get out of view of the surrounding crowds.
    GuitarLake.jpg

Journal Entries

The little pond above guitar lake gets quite crowded too.<br>
    This area has jmters staging for whitney, nobos stopping , and people conbecting in from HST as well. No uncommon to have 30 + tents at GL and another dozen at pond above ( which is better place imo), particularly for early start.<br>
    <br>
    Still a great place, just get away from others a bit, and threaten the yahoo with a ukelele. Those crowds at GL wont even show up in pics from upper pond , unless look really close

DSC02100.jpg

DSC02124.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-02-2017 at 17:09.

++ New Posts ++